Full Time Evenings 3:00p-11:00p w/rotating weekends and holidays
Under the direct supervision of the appropriate supervisor, performs a variety of general support and some technical duties in specimen processing clerical office, send out testing, other assigned areas, and/or a technical section. Functions in on- and/or off-site service areas. May be required to accept on-call responsibilities. May perform occasional in-charge duties in the absence of immediate supervisor. May prepare cytology slides and pathology specimens.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs a variety of duties at progressively greater skill levels under varying degrees of supervision; records results. May operate a variety of laboratory instruments.
- Performs quality control and instrument check procedures and maintains related records.
- Trains other employees in day-to-day procedures.
- May receive specimens into the laboratory, process specimens, deliver specimens to on- and off-site locations, store specimens for future analysis and dispose of specimens.
- May receive and transport supplies, equipment, reports and specimens between the laboratory and other health care locations. May prepare/distill chemical solutions.
- Enters or retrieves data from established computer files.
- Provides complete and accurate instructions to patients and other customers of the laboratory.
- May review physician orders for supporting documentation.
- Resolves billing problems and/or receives insurance updates.
- Minimum Experience:
- 6 – 12 months
- Minimum Education:
- High School or G.E.D.
- Preferred Courses:
- Medical terminology
- Physical Demands:
- Heavy physical effort (lift/carry 26 to 50 lbs)
- Frequent prolonged standing/walking
- Occasionally lifts, positions, pushes and/or transfers patients
- Lifts supplies/equipment
- Manual dexterity and mobility
- Considerable reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
- Good communications and computer skills
- Req Protective Equipment-
- Eye Protection
- Face Protection
- Lab Coat or Apron
- Non-Sterile Medical Gloves
- Sterile Medical Gloves
- Must possess a valid driverâ€™s license in the current state of residence. Driving record must meet requirements established by WellSpan Risk Management.