University of Southern California
The Department of Business Services is seeking a hands-on leader with â€œbig pictureâ€ vision and proven ability to identify solutions for business problems to fill the position of
(Procure-to-pay Systems). The department of Business Services is a central unit comprised of Procurement Services, Strategic Sourcing, Expense Reimbursements, Accounts Payable, Corporate Card Services, Supplier Data Management, Travel Services, and Procurement Systems. These departments are responsible for the purchase and payment of goods and services on behalf of the University in accordance with the policies set forth by the University, Sponsored Projects, Internal Revenue Service, and State Board of Equalization.
Under general direction of the Associate Vice President, the MIS Director will assume full responsibility for system support and optimization for all Business Services procure-to-pay systems (i.e. JAGGAER, SAP Concur, Hyland OnBase ECM, Antworks CMR, Oversights, and Avalara) This includes best practice guidance for the design, implementation, and optimization of business processes and supporting technologies in accordance with university strategy and policies.
The Director, Management Information Systems
- Manages subordinate staff. Recruits, screens, hires, and trains staff. Assesses need for technical and professional growth and recommends development opportunities. Evaluates employee performance and provides guidance and feedback. Counsels and/or disciplines as needed.
- Sets departmental goals and objectives. Measures effectiveness and ability to achieve agreed upon goals and objectives. Reassesses or redefines priorities as appropriate to achieve performance objectives.
- Participates in the planning and administration of departmental and project budgets as assigned. Provides specific technical expertise for functions supervised for a hardware/programming-software model and/or Cloud Services model, e.g., computer operations, applications programming, systems programming, systems configuration, hardware support, vendor management, client services and training. Directs the most complex projects and lends technical assistance to others as needed. Resolves problems referred by subordinate staff.
- Ensures procure-to-pay systems are efficiently supporting business processes on a day-to-day basis
- Consults with business process owners on systems development project requests. Communicates regularly and effectively with stakeholders, central ITS, senior level management and customers regarding project goals, objectives, deliverables, plans and status throughout a project. Designs system(s) and/or system(s) configuration and specifications to satisfy user needs. Develops project schedules and plans and estimates staffing and other resource requirements. Provides project management support and directs the work of staff to ensure project plans and schedules are adhered to and follows up with users to ensure satisfaction with services provided. Makes presentations, as needed.
- Participates in change management strategy and supports implementation
- Evaluates vendor proposals for system upgrades and configuration changes and/or purchases of hardware, software, and technical services to assure adherence to specifications. Analyzes proposed projects for feasibility.
- Develops internal operating policies and procedures and ensures they are well documented for use and reference by staff. Develops and disseminates policies and procedures for users. Provides interpretation as required.
- Establishes departmental performance standards and criteria. Provides for quality assurance reviews and feedback to ensure performance standards are met.
- Works with members of internal audit teams to ensure controls and regulatory compliance requirements are met
- Networks with professional counterparts inside and outside the university. Participates in professional associations to stay informed of new developments in field and technology changes. Makes recommendations to senior management regarding technology changes based on developments in field and business needs.
- Supports and maintains business continuity for all procure-to pay systems
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested
The ideal candidate for the position of MIS Director meets the following
- 10 years of experience (preferably in higher education)
- Masterâ€™s degree
All candidates for the position MIS Director must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- 7 years of experience
- Solid functional and technical knowledge of procure-to pay ERP systems
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong Project Management skills
- Varied and strong technical background that would include implementation of higher education procure-to-pay systems.
- Specific understanding of industry trends and standards required.
- Strong end user orientation.
- Must be a team player and strong on collaboration.
- Solid organizational skills, ability to work with vendors, staff, faculty, and administration at all skill and management levels.
- Sound strategic thinking skills.
- Proven track record as a leader
Business Services values
Accountability, Teamwork, Open Communication, Integrity, and Opportunities for Growth & Professional Development. Join us â€“ apply today!
The annual base salary range for this position is $167,061.73 – $186,399.35 . When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidateâ€™s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
The University of Southern California values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education Minimum Experience: 7 years Minimum Field of Expertise: Directly relevant experience in field to provide technical expertise along with supervisory and budget management experience