Community: Chief Design Office
Jobs that are part of a community have unique requirements established to maintain consistent application, usage and reporting structure. Please reach out to your HR Business Partner for additional information on specific requirements prior to posting and/or employee placement into this job.
Aligns Company, Enterprise, and CoSA and strategic objectives to maximize the discovery, delivery, and performance of digital/technology solutions and products. Responsible for overseeing all design functions for one or more member, employee, enterprise or enablement experience domains. Manages multiple concurrent teams through all stages of development: from empathy and ideation to final coding/deployment and is responsible for overall quality and design vision. Critical steward of planning, defining, designing and executing new creative solutions primarily within the digital channels and platforms. Builds, inspires, motivates, and leads a team of talented Design Directors, their respective teams and plays a key contributor role in driving a design-led culture throughout USAA. Participates in the development of strategic plans for the ongoing evolution of the Chief Design Office.
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies, standards, and procedures for business activities.
- Role models USAAâ€™s mission, core values, culture and desired behaviors â€“ including a culture of risk and regulatory awareness and accountability balanced with innovation and member-service orientation.
- Oversees research, creation and development of concepts that aligns employee and membersâ€™ needs with business or enterprise objectives, while advancing USAA transformation into a design-led organization.
- Leads the design review and approval process and ensures consistent alignment with USAA and industry design standards and guidelines.
- Supports a culture of transparency and healthy challenge via design critique, continuous learning and accountability for high standards of quality.
- Partners with and influences Enterprise, IT, and Business Leaders to define, plan, design, and monitor touchpoints within assigned spaces across all digital channels.
- Works in very close collaboration with other Executive Directors of Design to create breadth as well as depth of knowledge across domains.
- Collaborates with other design domain teams and/or DesignOps, Design Language Systems and Design Practice teams (these 3 areas are collectively known as Design Enablement) to drive transformation by establishing and delivering design concepts and final solutions that enable elegant solutions to business problems through employee and member empathy.
- Identifies new and improved ways to manage the digital creative process, as new platforms and technologies evolve.
- Develops and ensures a consistent application of design and delivery processes.
- Develops talent in the design department to deliver performance and results â€“ including the identification, development and retention of talent with requisite design capabilities.
- Holds self and teams accountable for meeting commitments by setting and clearly communicating expectations and roles and responsibilities relative to design operations and services.
- Owns the relationship management responsibilities for internal business executives and external design agencies for their area of focus.
- Builds and leads high-performing design teams by attracting and hiring the best talent and providing a nurturing yet challenging environment.
- Bachelorâ€™s Degree; OR 4 years of related experience (in addition to the minimum years of experience required) may be substituted in lieu of degree.
- 10 years of progressive related design experience developing digital product and experience strategies, managing major initiatives and delivering compelling design solutions within a complex matrix environment.
- 4 years of direct design team leadership or leading matrixed or cross-functional creative teams and experience in building, managing and/or developing high performing design teams.
- Demonstrated experience in digital product and/or service design, experience design, design research and human center design approaches.
- Experience collaborating with key resources and stakeholders, influencing decisions and managing work to achieve strategic goals.
- Fluency in current design and interaction standards across multiple channels.
- Excellent communication, presentation and organizational skills.
- Executive-level business acumen in the areas of business operations, industry practices and emerging trends.
- Previous experience delivering complex, connected digital solutions in highly regulated environments
- Previous digital and UX experience in the insurance and/or financial services industry
- Experience driving broad enterprise solutions that leverage design systems, governance processes and multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to build strong relationships and influence highest level executives in product, development and digital across different businesses
- Demonstrated ability supporting and driving business strategy through to real world solutions with measurable impact and success.
- Previous experience leading, inspiring and creating an inspiring culture for a large team of multi-discipline designers (UX Design, Visual Design, IA, Design Research, Service Design, Design Production, etcâ€¦)
- Demonstrated expertise in driving end-to-end experiences (awareness to servicing) with a proven human-centered approach
- Ability to navigate challenging environments that require poise, presence and tact
- Demonstrated expertise with mobile, conversational, and emerging technologies
- This Executive role will be leading our Property & Casualty and Life Insurance design teams
USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this position is: $180,500 to $325,000.00.
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
Long Term Incentive Plan: Cash payment for Executive level roles only, representing a cash payment which is both time and performance based.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
USAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.