Accountable for oversight and direction of the investment strategy, investment governance, and investment operations for USAA institutional portfolios that include, insurance, banking, employee benefit plans, and foundations whose underlying assets are managed by third-party/unaffiliated investment companies or internal investment teams. Responsible for functions that encompass asset allocation, manager selection, investment governance, and investment operations. Provides investment insight and advice to senior leaders to influence line-of-business and enterprise capital, liquidity, and risk management decisions. As a highly visible member of the financial management team, will have frequent personal interaction with and substantial influence on all levels of USAAâ€™s corporate leadership including Executive Council and boards, as well as important external constituents such as rating agencies, third-party investment firms, and regulators. Provides oversight on activities of investment strategy staff.
- Identify and manage existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role
- Ensure risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled
- Follow written risk and compliance policies, standards and procedures for business activities
- Oversees the development of investment objectives, strategies, governance and operations frameworks, and investment policies for institutional investment portfolios, ensuring alignment with the goals and risk tolerances of the business unit and the enterprise, collaborating with and educating business leaders to achieve a unified strategic investment vision
- Responsible for providing thought leadership to internal and 3rd-party investment teams, CFO, lines of business, and control partners to ensure thorough understanding of investment objectives, risk tolerances, asset allocation targets or ranges, and investment policy allowances and constraints
- Manages and delivers an ongoing expertise in historical and forward-looking capital market and macroeconomic factors, asset/liability management objectives, and total return/source of return preferences to support refining strategic asset allocations in alignment with investment objectives and policies, while considering the unique regulatory, accounting, and tax landscapes
- Drives the evaluation of new asset classes, investment themes and structures, and tactical approaches, continuously assessing methods to better meet investment objectives and/or reduce systemic risks
- Develop and oversee the evaluation, selection and ongoing relationship of 3rd-party and internal: front end, middle office, and operations platforms to support investment and risk analytics, accounting, governance, and regulatory frameworks
- Leads the reporting of investment portfolio results, performance attribution, and adherence to Investment Policy to all levels of management, Boards of Directors and external constituents
- Ensures appropriate processes are in place to monitor, measure and ascertain that investment strategies are generating desired outcomes, and that individual investment managers are achieving expected results while staying within acceptable risk thresholds
- Provides leadership and input by serving on and chairing governance committees. Expected to step into support and assist the CIO as the primary delegate
- Builds and oversees a team of employees for assigned functional area through ongoing execution of recruiting, development, retention, coaching and support, performance management, and managerial activities
- Bachelor’s degree; OR 4 years of related experience (in addition to the minimum years of experience required) may be substituted in lieu of degree
- Advanced degree such as MBA or Finance is preferred
- 10 years of experience in finance, investment markets, or related field developing strategies, managing major initiatives and delivering results within a financial services organization
- 8 years of experience in global financial markets and financial instruments
- 6 years of people leadership experience in building, managing and/or developing high-performing teams required
- Knowledge of software and quantitative tools used in investment management
- Experience collaborating with key resources and stakeholders, influencing decisions and managing work to achieve strategic goals required
- Executive-level business acumen in the areas of business operations, industry practices and emerging trends required
- Demonstrated understanding of regulatory actions, including examinations and other supervisory engagement and processes, such as OCC rules and regulations, regulations related to management of investment securities, and as overseen by Federal Reserve, OCC, FDIC, NAIC and State Regulators
- Industry certification such as Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) certification is preferred
- Managed investment portfolios within an Asset Liability Management framework for Life, P&C insurance assets and/or Bank assets
- Experience in evaluating and using third party systems used for front and back office investment analysis, governance, and accounting
- Direct experience creating investment risk controls and risk reporting frameworks
USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this position is: $207,600 – $373,700
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
Long Term Incentive Plan:
Cash payment for Executives only representing a cash payment which is both time and performance based
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
Please click on the link below for more details.
USAA Total Rewards
for this position.
USAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.