At USAA, we have an important mission: facilitating the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. Not all of our employees served in our nationâ€™s military, but we all share in the mission to give back to those who did. Weâ€™re working as one to build a great experience and make a real impact for our members.
We believe in our core values of honesty, integrity, loyalty and service. Theyâ€™re what guides everything we do â€“ from how we treat our members to how we treat each other. Come be a part of what makes us so special!
We are seeking a dedicated Senior Audit Manager for our Risk team to manage audit engagements of varying complexity.
This position is a hybrid work type and can be based in one of the following locations: San Antonio, TX; Plano, TX; Phoenix, AZ; Charlotte, NC or Tampa, FL. Hybrid roles help employees gain the best of both worlds â€“ collaborating in-person in the office and working from home when needed to achieve focused results.
Your expertise participates in complex, cross-functional risk-based assurance and advisory engagements driving quality of audit work. May lead engagements as Auditor-In-Charge (AIC). Maintains knowledge of financial services regulations and effectively responds and interacts with regulators. Provides oversight to multiple audit engagements and participates in review of engagement planning, fieldwork and reporting. Manages strategic initiatives and assists with the development and implementation of a risk-based audit plan. Serves, and/or partners with subject matter expert(s) within audit or the business to analyze issues, establish collaborative client relationships, and proactively work with client management to assess risk and improve internal controls. This role adheres to the Institute of Internal Auditors’ International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing (Standards) and Code of Ethics.
What You’ll Do
- Influences business and clients across the enterprise regarding effective internal controls and mitigating risks across the full Enterprise taxonomy and challenges business management to adopt appropriate policies and procedures and effective controls designed to mitigate risks.
- Handles audit engagement-related efforts and assignments of staff with varying degrees of expertise and experience when conducting engagements, specialized audits or business audits recognizing the cross-matrixing and cross-functionality within the specialized functions/business areas.
- Independently prepares, reviews, and leads continuous monitoring and advisory activities, special reviews and investigations.
- Ensures assigned audit engagements are completed objectively, professionally, timely and in accordance with corporate and industry audit standards.
- Approves the engagement risk and control matrix and scope of the audit for final review and approval by Audit Leadership.
- Proactively identifies control weaknesses and opportunities for improvement in the current operating environment providing recommendations for corrective action. Drafts the related audit issues and audit reports for issuance to respective client leadership conducting follow-up activities.
- Responsible for quality of audit reviews with final signoff of work papers; proposes and/or recommends updates to the universe risk assessment of the entity based on audit results.
- Leads team activities and provides feedback to the team on audit activities related to planning and scoping, testing and sampling methodology and testing conclusions that demonstrate critical thinking ability.
- Builds and enhances client relationships across the organization for areas of responsibility helping to drive strategic objectives with the business.
- Communicates effectively with business/clients to include delivering both risk-based and difficult messages. May be asked to communicate with regulators and executive leaders.
- Provides recommendations on staffing assignments to audit leadership and guidance to staff members.
- Provides coaching and guidance to other auditors ensuring timeliness and quality of audit engagement deliverables. May deliver audit team end of engagement evaluations.
- Provides input into the creation of the internal audit universe and audit entities risk profile. Updates universe risk assessment information with current and applicable research and industry feedback.
- Participates in development of the Audit annual plan for assigned areas of responsibility including proper assessment and coverage of risks and emerging risks and assists with execution of the annual plan.
What You Have
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or relevant field such as Finance, Accounting, Business, or Information Technology. Four additional years of related experience beyond minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 8 years of audit, financial, insurance, banking, information technology or related business and/or leadership experience.
- Experience performing internal audits, external audits, or applying audit, risk, or compliance acumen in a complex operational and regulatory environment.
- Broad and comprehensive experience in Audit theory, internal audit principles with demonstrated experience in audit examining, analyzing, assessing, and drawing conclusions from audit work.
- Demonstrated experience effectively communicating and challenging Controls with business partners and influencing business outcomes.
- Understanding of risks and internal controls and the ability to evaluate and determine adequacy and efficiency of controls.
- Experience in a support role, mentoring, and providing feedback to audit team members throughout the audit.
- Experience in overseeing work with both internal and external partners in a highly collaborative environment
- Demonstrated critical thinking and knowledge of data analysis tools and techniques and decision-making abilities.
- Demonstrated experience in highly dynamic environment undergoing change; ability to deal with competing priorities.
What Sets You Apart
- Experience auditing fraud governance programs at a large financial institution
- Working knowledge of acquisition fraud (True Name and Synthetic ID Fraud) and transactional fraud risk management practices
- Understanding of Federal Reserve and OCC regulatory expectations for fraud risk management
- Relevant designations such as the CIA or CFE
- Experience managing audits in a matrixed environment
- Ability to leverage project management skills to lead multiple audit engagements concurrently
- Strong PC Skills: MS Office suite, SAS, SQL, Python
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
What We Offer
USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market data of the position. The actual salary for this role may vary by location. The salary range for this position is: $132,500 – $253,220
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance and at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
For more details on our outstanding benefits, please visit our benefits page on USAAjobs.com.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
USAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.