Buyer â€“ Novelties
Assistant Buyer, Merchandise Assistant
The Urban Outfitters Buyer is responsible for creating an exciting and timely product assortment that meets and exceeds the sales volume and profit for their departments.
This candidate will need to deliver the sales and profit plan for assigned classes through the precise execution of a well-conceived merchandise strategy.
Class attributes range from Food, Seasonal, Novelty DÃ©cor, Toys, to Tech.
The role is very fast paced and candidate will need to have the energetic spirit to ebb and flow and understanding and foresight of current and future market trends.
They intuitively respond to customer feedback, market trends and develop action plans that drive category specific growth and increased profitability.
- Develop a compelling assortment, based on store and direct strategies that meet/exceed sales volume and profits
- Expand product line to enhance appeal to target market and identify new business opportunities that do not exist within current assortment today
- Analyze velocity reports on weekly basis and respond to current trends as appropriate
- Ensure key fashion trends are well represented in the assortment. Test emerging trends for selling viability
- Facilitate and present seasonal buy strategies in partnership with DMM to the Executive Director by Retail and Direct channels.
- Shop domestic and international market to fill voids, check on current trends and identify chase opportunities
- Stay on top of viral and cultural moments and in turn, develop those ideas into product strategies.
- Ability to distort classifications to ensure positioning within the market
- Responsible for managing inventory levels and flow at Omni Channel
- Develop new resources
- Develop new design collaborations and manage artist relationships
- Negotiate price to ensure mark-up goals are achieved
- Maintain clear vision of store and direct customer and their needs.
- Manage and develop the buying team in this area and empower them
- Work with Merchandising team to develop strong story lines for the web-sight, emails and store presentations
- Partner with Store Merchandising teams on visual execution to support key product strategies
Organization & Analysis
- Weekly: Analyze velocity, attributes, and TY/LY. Manage OTB, markdowns, and inventory flow.
- Monthly: Hindsight monthly performance and any attribute shifts that need to be made based on actual performance. Work closely with cross-functional teams to develop new and evolving strategies for go forward.
- Post Season: Conduct in-season and post-season analyses to better evaluate and control the business.
- Clearly communicate current trends, opportunities, successes, and failures at best/worst meetings.
- Maintain merchandising calendar relevant to Home
- Manage Buying team on daily sample management and collection of product information for style-outs, meetings, and photo shoots
- Train, manage, and delegate daily activities to Buying team
- Oversee Product Information prior to Turnover and develop compelling story lines to increase productivity for all channels.
- Drive and understand the private label process for product development. Contribute to continuous improvement in efficiencies, execution, brand/product positioning, timing, and quality.
- Shop competition and inspirational stores
- Read all pertinent trade, trend, consumer publications. Stay connected to current industry trends, fashion shows, design fairs, art exhibitions, and other influential cultural events.
- Stay on top of viral and cultural moments and in turn, build a merchandising strategy and develop those ideas into product strategies.
- Challenge the buying team to interpret seasonal trends for all channels.
- Creative problem solving.
- True entrepreneurial risk mentality.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a business.
- Lead by example. Be positive, support company initiatives, mentor others, and be a part of the solution.
- Be able to own, articulate, and execute a clear vision.
- 5+ years buying experience required.
Bachelorâ€™s Degree in Fashion, Business, or a related field.
Urban Outfitters, Inc. celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are proud to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
We believe strongly in fostering a safe, fair and respectful work environment. To ensure compliance with our non-discrimination and anti-harassment policies, we offer anti-harassment training to managers and employees.