This position is eligible for a generous sign-on bonus!
Sign-On Bonus Details
- $15,000 sign-on bonus available for nurses with over 1 year of experience
$10,000 sign-on bonus available for graduate nurses with a graduation date of December 2021 and beyond
At UPMC, we want you to be the best nurse you can be, and we know there are a lot of opportunities to choose from. At UPMC Shadyside, a Magnet-designated hospital, we want to help you achieve your career goals, which is why we created the Prepare to Travel Program.
About The Position
This unique and brand-new 12-month rotational program is designed to help you prepare for the experience of travel nursing! In this position, you will rotate through one of our service lines, gaining experience with medicine, oncology, intensive care, and surgical patient populations. A preceptor in each specialty will be assigned to you to help build a foundation of nursing skills in their area of expertise. To ensure that you are set up for success, there will be frequent check-ins with our nursing leaders. Continued participation in this program will be contingent upon performance, lack of disciplinary action, and meeting all requirements/expectations of the hiring units.
Upon completion of this program, the experience you gain will jump-start your career as a skilled and confident travel nurse! If you were to find a specialty/unit you would like to pursue at UPMC Shadyside during this time, a streamlined hiring process is in place to land you in the position you were meant to be in.
Why Work at UPMC?
UPMC is committed to investing in nurses like you â€“ financially, personally, and professionally â€“ starting on day one of your career. From tackling student loans to advancing your career later in life, UPMC is the partner you need to succeed and thrive in your nursing career.
Hereâ€™s How We Support Our Nurses
- Generous Sign-On Bonus of up to $15,000 (*Amount and eligibility based on type of nursing role and candidate experience)
- UPMCâ€™s brand new Monthly Loan Repayment Program, exclusively for 2022 and 2023 nursing graduates, offers $20,000* in loan repayment paid over three years (*Eligible flex full-time RN roles to receive prorated amount)
- Up to five and a half weeks of Paid Time Off annually, plus seven paid holidays each year
- Dedicated career ladders, including a brand-new nursing career ladder added just this year, allowing you to achieve your highest potential while rewarding you for your experience and advanced education
Tuition reimbursement of up to $6,000 per academic year at any accredited institution, available to employees and their dependents (plus discounts for UPMC employees including no-cost RN-BSN/MSN options!)
At UPMC, weâ€™re passionate about continuing to support your growth throughout your nursing journey. We offer a robust career ladder for bedside nursing that starts with Professional Staff Nurse and leads to Expert Nurse and beyond. The final job title and rate of pay will be based upon both individual qualifications and candidate choice. Any required certifications and contributions based on job title will be afforded a timeframe to obtain. Our competitive career ladder, as well as our Total Rewards package, will be discussed at the time of offer to ensure you can make the choices that are right for you. The minimum rate of pay for a non-BSN Professional Staff Nurse is $28.90.
- Zero to one year of experience. BSN preferred.
- The individual must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care and/or interact appropriately with the ages of the patients served by his/her assigned unit as specified below.
- They must also demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient’s status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient’s requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs and to provide the care needs as described in the department policy and procedures.
- Completion of UPMC student nurse internship or student clinical transitions course at UPMC preferred
- Ability to establish and maintain positive, caring relationships with executives, managers, physicians, non-physician providers, ancillary and support staff, other departments, and patients/families.
- Ability to work productively and effectively within a complex environment, and handle multiple/changing priorities and specialized equipment.
- Critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving abilities are required as related to various aspects of patient care.
- Good clinical judgment. Critical thinking skills are necessary to exercise and to lead others in the application of the nursing process.
Mobility and visual manual dexterity. Physical stamina for frequent walking, standing, lifting, and positioning of patients.
Licensure, Certifications, And Clearances
- Current Pennsylvania licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse
- CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
- Must complete licensure examination within FOUR MONTHS of hire or within one year of graduation, whichever comes first. Though temporary permits are valid for one year from the date of graduation, not one year from issue of permit (or until the results of the examination are known at which time it becomes null and void), UPMC requires that GNs take the licensure examination within 4 months of their start date or they will be terminated or demoted from the GN position, at the discretion of the BU.
Registered Nurse (RN) OR Temporary Practice Permit (TPP)
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMCâ€™s COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the
COVID-19 Vaccination Information
section at the top of this page to learn more
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMCâ€™s Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life â€” because we believe that youâ€™re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, weâ€™re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.