UPMC is hiring a full-time Andrology Specialist to join their Center for Reproduction and Transplant team at Magee Women’s Hospital in Pittsburgh! Hours for this position will be Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm, and there will be paid on-call, weekend, and holiday coverage. This laboratory provides services for the IVF Program, the urology menâ€™s health department, and the Fertility Preservation Program. You will be providing cryopreservation services to cancer patients from across the country.
This position is responsible for the day-to-day functions of the andrology and immunoassay laboratories, communicates with the laboratory director with respect to the andrology and immunoassay laboratories.
- Is responsible for the coordination of male surgical procedures with urologist that need to be cryopreserved for in-vitro fertilization. This would include preparation of testicular biopsies and epididymal aspirations. Reports to urologist about findings and recommends whether specimen is adequate for cryopreservation.
- Prepares sperm for artificial insemination. Reports to nurse and/or physician as to problems involving adequate specimen for insemination. Makes modifications to accommodate sample variations and/or deficiencies. This includes preparation of donor sperm.
- Participates in research and/or studies that are conducted that involve andrology and/or immunoassays.
- Performs routine semen analysis including count, motility, morphology and anti-sperm antibodies. Makes decisions as to any additional testing that may be needed to help physician accurately determine diagnosis and course of treatment.
- Responsible for recording and distributing all results in a timely manner to referring physician for andrology and immunoassay laboratories.
- Prepares sperm for insemination of in-vitro fertilization patients. Reports to embryologist as to whether Specimen is adequate for in-vitro fertilization.
- Responsible for receipt, preparation, and documentation of blood received for endocrine assays from all sites. Runs all immunoassays on a daily basis and ensures that all quality control ranges are adhered to before reporting results.
Records all daily quality control and quality assurance checks and reports to the laboratory director with regards to any problems.
Bachelor’s degree in basic science, such as biology, chemistry or biochemistry required.
1 year of experience in clinical research or a hospital laboratory preferred.
OR Associate’s degree in one of the aforementioned fields and at least 2 years of experience in clinical research or a hospital laboratory required.
Andrology Experience Is Preferred.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- Act 31 Child Abuse Reporting with renewal
- Act 33 with renewal
- Act 34 with renewal
- Act 73 FBI Clearance with renewal
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
UPMC has a Center for Engagement and Inclusions that is charged with executing leading-edge and next- generation diversity strategies to advance the organizationâ€™s diversity management capability and its national presence as a diversity leader. This includes having Employee Resources Groups, such as PRIDE Health or UPMC ENABLED (Empowering Abilities and Leveraging Difference) Network, that support the implementation of our diversity strategy.
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMCâ€™s COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the COVID-19 Vaccination Information section at the top of this page to learn more.
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMCâ€™s Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life â€” because we believe that youâ€™re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, weâ€™re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.