Are you someone with customer service, retail distribution, or similar experience looking to get into the medical field, but not sure where to start? An
role as a Specimen Processor in the UPMC laboratories may be the perfect next step for you!
UPMC Shadyside is hiring a
casual (per diem) Specimen Processor
to support the Automated Testing Lab (ATL) team! You will be working
daylight hours with varied start times
and occasional weekend and holiday shifts.
The Specimen Processor role is the gatekeeper for all specimens that come to the ATL for laboratory testing and is essential to ensuring the accuracy of patient samples for the busy, fully automated laboratory. Additionally, this role has many unique job responsibilities that make it an interesting and fantastic entry position into laboratory medicine.
- Demonstrate a service orientation approach by conveying courtesy, respect, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude in work situations. Show initiative and offer assistance in the completion of the department’s work.
- Monitor pneumatic tube and courier deliveries to ensure the timely processing of specimens.
- Investigate and resolve any requesting mistakes or other specimen problems. Request assistance when needed. Complete quality forms for unacceptable specimens, requesting errors, or other problems.Separate by centrifugation. Label appropriate aliquot tubes and transfer as defined by the policy; store samples at the appropriate temperature.
- Determine and enter the specimen receive time into the computer. Answer all telephone inquiries concerning proper specimen collection, result, and normal range information.
- Follow all regulations regarding health and safety concerning the handling of biohazardous patient samples or sharps to prevent exposure.
- Verify patient specimens such as blood, urine, and other body fluids with requisitions or labels, making certain that information on the specimens matches any paperwork received and the correct specimen.
- Properly request in the Laboratory Information System if needed.
- Prepare, package, and send specimens to outside locations as needed.
- Receive, sort, and prioritize ALL specimens according to the laboratory policies.
- Share specimens as necessary. Notify supervisor of problems and of any requests that need credited or clarified.
Disinfect the work area after shift and during shift, if needed. Participates in the orientation and training of new laboratory specimen processors. Perform routine technical and related clerical duties as directed.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Three to six months of experience in a clinical laboratory, physician’s office, or other medical environment preferred, including knowledge of or experience in Medical Terminology and Laboratory Information systems.
- Three to six months of experience in a service environment including call center, customer service center, or product distribution/fulfillment center preferred. Good oral and written communication skills are required.
Ability to communicate effectively with all age groups and populations of external and internal customers (as well as co-workers) both by telephone and in person.
Licensure, Certifications, And Clearances
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
COVID-19 Vaccination Information
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMCâ€™s COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the COVID-19 Vaccination Information section at the top of this page to learn more.
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMCâ€™s Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life â€” because we believe that youâ€™re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, weâ€™re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.