The UPMC Center for Emergency Medicine is looking to hire a Full-Time Professional Flight Paramedic!
The Professional Flight Paramedic functions as a member of the critical care transport team and is responsible for the care of critically ill or injured patients transported by the STAT MedEvac system. Responsibilities include patient care incorporating assessment, stabilization, and intervention techniques consistent with standards and protocols approved by the Medical Director. The Professional Flight Paramedic is expected to execute independent judgment in order to deliver appropriate care that is consistent with the clinical protocols, when contact with a medical command physician is not possible. The Professional Flight Paramedic functions as a part of a team and shares responsibility for the team’s conduct. The Professional Flight Paramedic fulfills education and experiential requirements as established by the STAT MedEvac Medical Director, and performs other duties as assigned. Supports and upholds the mission, goals, and objectives, of the STAT MedEvac system at all times.
- OPERATIONS: Adheres to system standardization, policies and procedures, and other established practices to ensure prompt efficient response, safe operations, and quality patient care. Meets all deadlines for certifications, clinical competencies, or educational requirements. Ensures safe operation of patient laden stretcher employing appropriate stretcher discipline at all times with a patient laden aircraft or ground unit. Maintains safe loading, unloading, adjustment of head of stretcher, and stretcher movement.
- SAFETY: Ensures the safety of patients and all others functioning in and around the aircraft. Utilizes appropriate safety channels to report safety concerns, and uses tools available to enhance a safe work environment.
- OUTREACH: Reflects a positive attitude to the customer in a high stress environment at all times along. Demonstrates the ability to establish a rapport with customers; including the ability to create and sustain a positive relationship; regardless of circumstances, environment, or patient presentation.
- CLINICAL: Provide advanced critical care life support to critically ill or injured patients in adherence with established protocols and standards of care; accessing online medical command or other resources when appropriate, and employing the skills, competencies, and judgment necessary to provide patient care in any environment; using resources that are required or made available. Documents appropriate assessment, interventions, and other pertinent patient information in a timely manner. Collects and promptly processes demographic, medical necessity, and other necessary billing information. Participates constructively in the peer-review driven quality improvement program
EMPLOYEE HEALTH: Maintains fitness for duty by adhering to all employee health requirements, including maximum weight, hearing conservation program, and required medical screenings. Reports injuries and completes the appropriate documentation, no matter how minor, to a supervisor in a timely manner.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent.
Three years clinical experience in critical care and/or emergency department.
Successful completion of a pre-employment physical exam that includes a maximum height/weight restriction of 6-2 and less than or equal to 210 pounds, fitness for duty physical exam, hearing evaluation, and be declared fit for duty by the Medical Director. Must be eligible to receive medical command authorization by the Medical Director, have reliable transportation, and be willing to travel to any STAT MedEvac base site as assigned. Must be able to successfully complete the prescribed orientation program, including classroom, clinical rotations, educational competencies, and on the job flight training. Must have the ability to work productively and effectively within a complex environment, handle multiple/changing priorities, and specialized equipment.
Licensure, Certifications, And Clearances
- Driver’s License
- Passport (within 6 months of hire)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
- Pediatric Adv Life Support
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program (within 90 days of hire)
- NIMS Incident Command 100 (within 90 days of hire)
- NIMS Single Resources 200 (within 90 days of hire)
- NIMS Introduction Couse 700 (within 90 days of hire)
- NIH Stroke Scale Certification (within 90 days of hire)
- FP-C (within 2 years of hire)
- NREMT-PEMT-P (based on home base assignment requirements
- Trauma Nursing Core Course OR Intl Trauma Life Support OR Adv Trauma Life Support OR PrehospTrauma Life Supp (one required within 90 days of hire
- Act 34
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Advanced Trauma Life Support OR International Trauma Life Support OR Prehospital Trauma Life Support OR Trauma Nursing Core Course
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Certified Flight Paramedic
- Driver’s License
- National Incident Management System Incident Command
- National Incident Management System Introduction Course
- National Incident Management System Single Resources
- National Institute of Health Stroke Scale Certification
- National Registry Emergency Medical Technician Paramedic (NREMT-P)
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP)
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
United States Passport
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMCâ€™s COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the
COVID-19 Vaccination Information
section at the top of this page to learn more.
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMCâ€™s Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life â€” because we believe that youâ€™re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, weâ€™re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.