Responsible for the multiple monitoring and communications functions for the Public Safety and Facilities/Maintenance departments. Handles the facility work order system and related functions. Receives work order requests, issues work orders, monitors systems and alarms, receives telephone and radio calls and dispatches staff to routine and emergency situations.
- Provide clerical duties for Operations Center-related activities including preparing purchase orders, manual typing, word processing, filing and telephone answering as required.
- Under the direction of appropriate managers and supervisors schedules the work of outside service companies, i.e., elevators, utility companies, city water authority, etc. Prepare service outage announcements as required and distributes to all affected parties.
- Responsible for monitoring and administration of the access control system. Enter and manipulate data and programs employee access cards as appropriate.
- Ensure patient safety by monitoring and initiating responses to building alarm systems including the pneumatic tube system, Johnson Control automated temperature control system, access control, security and panic alarms, Simplex fire alarm system and other alarms.
- Monitor all CCTV locations and rotate VCR tapes as indicated. Report malfunctioning cameras, obscured views, etc. Notice activity on the monitors and dispatch appropriate Facilities/HSS personnel to respond to a location.
- Receive calls for service and dispatches appropriate personnel to respond. Calls or alarms may originate by telephone call, personal request, radio or automated system or Operations Center dispatchers may observe activity on the CCTV monitors which requires intervention.
- Maintain written logs for all calls and operations center activities as needed including calls received and dispatched, safe transactions, VCR tape, fire system, etc.
- Operate facilities’ work order system including receiving and opening ON DEMAND work orders, preventive maintenance work orders, work order closing and work order reporting.
Compile, copy and distribute maintenance and construction announcements to designated department representatives and outside contractors.
- High school diploma or equivalent required and 2 years of experience in Public Safety, Security, EMS, Maintenance, Utility Services or 2 years in a role using two-way radio, multi-line telephone, or computer aided dispatch systems
- OR High School Diploma or equivalent required and is a current UPMC employee with 3 years of tenure
- OR an Associate’s Degree in related area required
- Previous dispatching experience preferred.
- Microsoft Office experience preferred.
- Problem solving skills necessary to balance multiple duties and effectively assign priorities.
- Ability to prioritize multiple communications functions and adjust to immediate needs (i.e., manage radio dispatch, telephone and alarm notification and monitor CCTV as it relates to the particular incident).
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a wide range of physicians, administrators, directors, staff and families.
- Ability to effectively interpret and communicate via telephone and radio calls.
- Ability to adjust from tedium of viewing multiple CCTV locations to demands of an emergency.
- Capability of dealing with the inherent stress of the environment.
- Ability to function as a resource for Hospital staff and provide excellent customer service.
Computer skills in both DOS and WINDOWS environments.
Licensure, Certifications, And Clearances
Public Safety Telecommunicator (APCO) within 1 year of hire.
- Public Safety Telecommunicator
- Act 34
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
COVID-19 Vaccination Information
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMCâ€™s COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the COVID-19 Vaccination Information section at the top of this page to learn more.
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMCâ€™s Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life â€” because we believe that youâ€™re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, weâ€™re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.