has an opening for a
Full-Time Surgical Technologist!
This position is a Days with Rotation shift and can be either 8, 10, or 12-hour shifts.
This position primarily supports our Cardiac Team and prefers previous Cardiac Experience.
Graduate Surg Tech applications will be accepted
This position is eligible for a generous sign-on bonus!
Whether youâ€™re a recent Graduate Surgical Technologist looking to launch your career, or a seasoned Surg Tech seeking a change, now is your moment to find your place at UPMC!
Sign-On Bonus Details (Full Time or Flex Full Time status)
- $10,000 0-1 years of experience for a 2-year commitment
- $12,000 1-2 years of experience for a 2-year commitment
- $15,000 2+ years of experience for a 2-year commitment
- $12,000 0-1 years of experience for a 3-year commitment
- $17,000 1-2 years of experience for a 3-year commitment
- $25,000 2+ years of experience for a 3-year commitment
Final candidates will be selected for a job title within the career ladder that reflects level of education, experience, and manager discretion at time of offer. **
Perform a variety of tasks in an operating room that assist the surgical team. Arrange sterile setup for surgical procedures; pass instruments, sponge and suture to surgeons and surgical assistants; prepare sterile supplies; assist in cleanup of the operating room; check placement and operation of equipment; and check and restock operating room. During surgical procedures may be responsible for special trays, graft materials, and record patient data.
- Ensure all medications are labeled and handed to surgeon according to established policies and procedures.
- Before an operation, help to prepare the operating room by setting up surgical instruments and equipment, sterile drapes, and sterile solutions. Assemble both sterile and non-sterile equipment. Adjust and check equipment to ensure it is working properly.
- During surgery, efficiently pass instruments and other sterile supplies to surgeons and surgeon assistants. Hold retractors or instruments, cut sutures, sponge or suction the operative site under the supervision of the surgeon and help count sponges, needles, supplies, and instruments.
- Assist in the preparation, care for, and disposal of specimens taken for laboratory analysis and helps apply dressings.
- Assist the surgical team with putting on sterile gowns and gloves.
- After surgery, may help transfer patients to the recovery room. Clean and restock the operating room.
- Prepare patients for surgery by wash, shave, and ensure aseptic incision sites. May transport patients to the operating room, help position them on the operating table, and cover them with sterile surgical drapes.
Ensure clean, safe environment through continued alertness to safety and explosive hazards and aseptic technique.
- PA legislature House Bill 81 enacted 10/29/2020 and became effective 12/27/2020.
- Must have completed program sponsored by nationally recognized institutional
- or programmatic accreditation and maintains certification
- or Has completed appropriate military training program
- or Maintains certification from accredited program
- or Was employed as a surg tech in a health care facility on or before effective date of the act (12/27/2020)
- or Employed as a surg tech at another health care facility two years before effective date (12/27/2020).
- Exception: A health care facility may employ individuals who do not meet the certification requirements if after a diligent and thorough effort has been made they are unable to employ a sufficient number of qualified surg techs who meet the requirements (i.e. certification) and a written record of efforts is made and retained at the health care facility.
- 1. All of our recruitment efforts are documented and can be supplied for this record.
- 2. The supply of certified or eligible to be certified surg techs does not meet our needs.
- Continuing education requirements:
- Compliance with continuing ed requirements specified by the credentialing organization for certification.
- For individuals not certified – must complete 30 hours of continuing ed every two years.
- Specialty experience: Surgical specialties include but are not limited to: general, orthopedic, vascular, plastic and reconstructive, obstetrics and gynecology, thoracic, ophthalmic, neurosurgery, organ procurement and endoscopic surgical settings.
Access to medications is limited to the distribution of the medication to the nurse.Entry level job 0-2 years experience.
Licensure, Certifications, And Clearances
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hireCertification Details – Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) or Technologist Surgery Certified (TSC) within 6 months of program completion: Note: Staff employed to practice surgical technology by the health care facility on or before the effective date of the law (12/27/2020) or who were employed as a surg tech at another health care facility two years before effective date of the law are grandfathered and therefore not required to have certification. New graduates of a program sponsored by nationally recognized institutional or programmatic accreditation can work for six months prior to certification, but must be certified within six months of program completion. Exception: A health care facility may employ individuals who do not meet the certification requirements if after a diligent and thorough effort has been made they are unable to employ a sufficient number of qualified surg techs who meet the requirements (i.e. certification) and a written record of efforts is made and retained at the health care facility. (1. Recruitment efforts are documented and can be supplied for this record. 2. The supply of certified or eligible to be certified surg techs does not meet the needs of the organization.).
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Certified Surgical Technologists (CST) OR Tech in Surgery-Certified (TSC)
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
COVID-19 Vaccination Information
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMCâ€™s COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the COVID-19 Vaccination Information section at the top of this page to learn more.
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMCâ€™s Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life â€” because we believe that youâ€™re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, weâ€™re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.