We have an exciting opportunity for a full-time Elder Life Specialist to join our team at UPMC Shadyside! In this position, you will recruit, train, and manage volunteers to perform delirium prevention interventions with hospitalized geriatric patients, monitor and ensure that the interventions are performed and documented, and perform quality improvement and patient safety measures as needed. If this sounds like an opportunity that meets your interests, we invite you to learn more and apply today!
- Manage the volunteer intake process including the planning and implementation of volunteer open houses each semester, processing volunteer background checks, and tracking those interested in volunteering in the HELP program.
- Actively participate in volunteer training process, ensuring that each volunteer is knowledgeable of HELP.
- Provide ongoing supervision of HELP volunteers through regular unit rounding during volunteer shifts.
- Write and submit letters of recommendation for current and former volunteers.
- Provide written evaluations to internship advisors.
- Respond to staff and patient requests for volunteer help.
- Edit and update training materials as needed.? Attend and participate in system-wide volunteer meetings.
- Maintain accurate and confidential volunteer records, including monitoring volunteer documentation in HELP database to ensure accurate and concise written communication.
- Counsel volunteers to improve performance.
- Termination of volunteers when needed after consultation with program manager.
- Perform volunteer interventions when volunteer coverage is low.
- Provides volunteers with appropriate patient care assignments each shift.
- Monitors amount of program supplies and reorders when necessary.
- Serve as a liaison between HELP volunteers and unit staff.
- Assist with HELP newsletter each semester.
- Volunteer onboarding including compiling new volunteer packets, making new volunteer folders, uploading badge photos, and badge processing for volunteer meal vouchers.
- Responsible for upkeep of the volunteer offices.
- Assist with bedside assessment of new patients when required.
- Implement AROM training with new volunteers each semester.
Maintain up to date volunteer schedules.
- B.A. degree in human services, personnel or business management, communications or health related field required.
1-2 years of experience in volunteer management or an equivalent combination of education and experience required.
Licensure, Certifications, And Clearances
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
COVID-19 Vaccination Information
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMCâ€™s COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the COVID-19 Vaccination Information section at the top of this page to learn more.
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMCâ€™s Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life â€” because we believe that youâ€™re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, weâ€™re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.