All inexperienced or experienced Registered Nurses are eligible for a generous sign-on bonus! Whether youâ€™re a recent Graduate Nurse looking to launch your nursing career, or a seasoned RN seeking a change, now is your moment to find your place at UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital!
Sign-On Bonus Details
- $15,000 sign-on bonus available for nurses with over one year of experience
$12,500 sign-on bonus available for Graduate Nurses and nurses with less than one year of experience
Millions of Americans face the reality of living with a mental illness. This is nearly one in five adults. Are you searching for the opportunity to make an impact on these individuals? Are you passionate about dispelling widespread stigma and misunderstanding associated with mental health?
For more than 70 years, UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital has been a national leader in the treatment of mental health and addictive disorders throughout the lifespan. In conjunction with the Department of Psychiatry of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, we continue to strive to be one of the nationâ€™s foremost academic- based psychiatric care facilities and remain dedicated to providing professionals with state-of-the-art training and assistance.
UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital is seeking a dedicated full-time Professional Psychiatric Nurse to help support Dual Diagnosis (DD) Department for its Oakland location located on the 10th Floor. Dual Diagnosis is an Adult Drug Abuse and Psychiatric Treatment Unit consisting of a 26-bed inpatient service. The focus is on treating adults with a primary psychiatric disorder and co-occurring chemical dependency problem. This position will work day/evening rotation with (3) 12-hour shifts.
GN level candidate starting rate $28.93 (BSN $29.93).
Starting rate may be increased commensurate with previous nursing experience.
The Professional Psychiatric Nurse is responsible for demonstrating clinical competence in the delivery of direct patient care and the implementation of the milieu management program.
- Performs a nursing assessment and initial plan of care within 8 hours of patient’s admission.
- Orients/educates patient regarding hospitalization.
- Documents in the medical record according to established policies.
- Maintains current knowledge of medication policies and practices, including side effects, dosage and patient response.
- Completes medication administration safely and accurately, including transcription, administration and documentation according to established policies.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of DSM IV diagnosis as evidenced by individual, group and milieu therapeutic interventions.
- Manages crisis situations effectively using positive approaches.
- Adheres to Nursing Standards and Policies including ANA Standards for Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing, ANA Professional Code for Nurses, the WPIC policies and procedures and the Nurse Practice Act. Performs point of care testing per unit (i.e., glucose monitoring, urinalysis, Hemocults.)
- Performs charge RN responsibilities competently and effectively.
- Participates with unit management in Program Development and Performance Improvement Activities.
- Complete two standard contributions per year or obtain a hospital approved professional certification and one standard contribution per year preapproved in advance.
- Participates in interdisciplinary activities including, treatment team, staff meeting, co-worker feedback process and other committees as assigned.
- Follows research protocols as required.
- Maintains competency requirements.
- Attends two unit-based or institute-wide in-services yearly.
- Serves as mentor to students and new employees.
Learns and utilizes up-to-date technology in delivery of patients care.
- Graduation from an approved School of Nursing required. BSN preferred.
- Two years of experience as a nurse.
- Successful completion of the My Nursing Residency Program if applicable.
- Most recent performance evaluation must have an overall rating of at least â€œGood, Solid, Strongâ€ in a Psychiatric Staff Nurse position at the Hospital with no categories rated as â€œMarginalâ€.
- In the case of newly hired nurses, 90-day evaluation must be â€œMeets Expectationâ€, or higher with no categories ranked below â€œMeets Expectations.â€
- Successful completion of the central and unit specific orientation programs including the medication proficiency examination.
The incumbent must by physically capable of providing direct total physical care to unpredictable, potentially violent, mentally ill patients as necessary including lifting, supporting, running towards or away from areas where problems are occurring, and pushing and pulling equipment, such as, wheelchairs, stretchers, and beds.
Licensure, Certifications, And Clearances
CCM training is required within 30 days of hire and annually thereafter
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Comprehensive Crisis Management (CCMC)
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Act 33 with renewal
- Act 34 with renewal
Act 73 FBI Clearance with renewal
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMCâ€™s Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life â€” because we believe that youâ€™re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, weâ€™re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.