Title and starting pay rate of this position may vary based on years of experience.
- Provides patient care including assisting with patient procedures and activities of daily living. Assists with physical, respiratory and cardiopulmonary therapies. Provides feedback to the RN regarding patient care and reports changes in patient status.
- Performs the UPMC nursing core nursing assistant responsibilities (blood glucose, weights, vital signs, I&O, specimen collections and Foley care) AND at least four of the following BU identified tasks: phlebotomy, 12 lead EKG, simple dressing, Foley catheter removal, point of care testing, bladder scan, straight catheter, or IV catheter removal.
- Provides instruction to patients and their families under the direction of the RN. May apply, monitor and remove patient restraints as per physician or hospital protocol.
- Suggests and supports changes within the department. Assumes responsibility for assignment and views problems as challenges. Demonstrates awareness of behavior on the efficient functioning of the department. Supports department-based projects and quality initiatives.
- Must routinely perform the UPMC nursing core nursing assistant responsibilities including ADLs (bathing, feeding, transporting, toileting, ambulating, turning and repositioning patients. PLUS point of care testing (inc. blood glucose), weights, vital signs, I&O, telemetry monitor application/reapplication, HAC & PSI prevention (TEDs/SCDs). In addition, simple dressings, placement and removal of restraints, bladder scan, all specimen collections and ticket to ride. All competencies must be achieved.
- Assures equipment malfunctions are reported to the appropriate department. Establishes appropriate and effective communication with other departments. Establishes professional and respectful interpersonal relationships. Contributes to the universal unit activities including, but not limited to, responding to call lights and telephones, passing meal trays, and transporting patients.
- Constructively receives feedback and direction. Identifies and communicates learning needs to the unit director. Takes action to improve knowledge, skills, and performance. Request’s assistance in planning and prioritizing activities as needed. Participates in self-review as requested by the unit director.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with all members of the health care team. Demonstrate understanding of cultural diversity, horizontal violence, and impairment in the health professions. Cares for patients and self by supporting safety in the workplace. Develops and maintains productive working relationships internally and externally by demonstrating accountability for actions, enthusiasm, motivation and commitment to patients and colleagues.
- Provides instruction to patients and their families under the direction of the RN. May apply, monitor, and remove patient restraints as per physician or hospital protocol.
- Strictly adheres to all policies and procedures relative to patient care and hospital related information. Complies with safety policies and procedures including standard precautions.
- Documents in the medical record according to established procedures. Performs assigned work in a timely and productive manner. Completes department clerical functions as needed.
- Performs in accordance with system-wide competencies/behaviors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
In addition to the required standard competencies, the Patient Care Technician will achieve and maintain competency and/or perform at least 1 or more of the following advanced skills based on department operational need: phlebotomy/venipuncture, peripheral IV removal, indwelling Foley catheter removal, basic arrythmia, 12-lead EKG, and NG tubes clamping and removal.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must also have either a) 1 Year of general healthcare experience, OR b) 6 months of experience as UPMC Nursing Assistant/CNA with PCT competency achieved within 120 days of hire/transfer/promotion, OR c) enrollment in PT/OT/PA program or related healthcare training program with completion of at least one clinical rotation, OR d) completion of a bachelors degree in a health sciences field.
- Successful completion of UPMC patient care technician class
- Successful completion of basic information system training.
- Microcomputer experience preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)or Paramedic or currently enrolled in an EMT or Paramedic program preferred.
Access to medications is limited to the distribution of the medication to the nurse.
Licensure, Certifications, And Clearances
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
- ACLS preferred
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Act 34 with renewal
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMCâ€™s COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the COVID-19 Vaccination Information section at the top of this page to learn more.
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMCâ€™s Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life â€” because we believe that youâ€™re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, weâ€™re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.