Responsible for a variety of tasks that relate to the preparation of human milk and infant formulas for the medically fragile infant. Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to accurately measure and prepare breast milk or formula. Technician must adhere to all safety/sanitation regulations established by the hospital and regulatory agencies. The technician is responsible for the safe and effective operation of equipment needed to prepare feedings and maintain sanitation in the preparation room. Processes human milk and formula orders. Performs required quality assurance monitoring activities, as well as other duties as assigned.
- Maintains friendly and professional attitude towards patients and their families, as well as coworkers and other staff.
- Verifies physician’s orders for patient feedings, and reports any discrepancies to the patient’s nurse, charge nurse, or Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN).
- Prepares and portions patient feedings accurately per recipe or RDN instruction.
- Uses correct technique to measure solids and liquids.
- Properly labels all prepared feedings.
- Communicates with supervisor and RDNs concerning problems regarding feeding orders, human milk/formula storage and administration.
- Follows established processes for quality assurance.
- Maintains adequate inventory of feeding preparation room supplies.
- Unpacks, labels, and stores fortifiers, formula, and supplies in their designated storage area; rotates supplies using first-in, first-out (FIFO) method.
- Maintains a sanitary and safe environment by following departmental and infection prevention policies; reports unsafe conditions and accidents to manager.
- Maintains a clean and orderly workspace, ensuring that the department standards are met and that all sanitary activities are conducted in accordance with federal, state, and local health regulations.
- Maintains clean equipment and supplies used to prepare patient feedings.
- Adheres to uniform policy established by the department; no artificial nails are allowed; nails must be kept short, clean, and unpolished.
- Assists in training other employees in feeding preparation and proper handling techniques as needed.
- Recognizes and adopts activities appropriate to the specific needs of the patient population and demonstrates knowledge of specific issues directly related to the age of the patient population.
- Attends mandatory meetings and in-service education programs as scheduled by the department and facility.
- Performs in accordance with system competencies/behaviors.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma with excellent mathematical skills required.
Nutrition and/or health science focused education courses preferred.
- Analytical thinking. Interpersonal skills to effectively interact with a diverse population and collaborate in a team environment.
- Attention to detail. Excellent mathematical skills. Works independently.
Time management. Ability to prioritize work. Customer service/focus.
Licensure, Certifications, And Clearances
- Act 33 with renewal
- Act 31 with renewal
- Act 34 with renewal
Act 73 FBI Clearance with renewal
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMCâ€™s COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the COVID-19 Vaccination Information section at the top of this page to learn more.
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMCâ€™s Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life â€” because we believe that youâ€™re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, weâ€™re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.