This position is eligible for a generous sign-on bonus!
Sign-On Bonus Details
- $15,000 sign-on bonus available for nurses with over 1 year of experience
$10,000 sign-on bonus available for graduate nurses with a graduation date of December 2021 and beyond
Are you a Registered Nurse passionate about delivering the best care possible and want to make a difference in the lives of your patients? Join us at UPMC Shadyside as we provide life-changing medicine to our community.
UPMC Shadyside is currently hiring a Regular, Full-Time Registered Nurse to support the Medicine and Pulmonary unit, 4 East.
About The Position
4 East is a Medicine and Pulmonary unit, and the first med/surg unit in PA to have received the ANCC Silver Beacon Award for Excellence. On this unit, you will see a high number of cystic fibrosis and peritoneal dialysis patients, in addition to patients with pulmonary conditions such as COPD and pneumonia. This unit also receives an overflow of internal medicine patients. We strive to create a uniquely caring and healing environment, with a staff that is very supportive of each other as well as students learning on the unit. We also receive medicine teaching patients; our diverse patient population and fast-paced work make 4 East a perfect fit for graduate nurses and nurses seeking to expand their knowledge base and/or gain new experience.
Our Registered Nurses work rotating shifts including weekends and holidays to ensure 24/7 coverage on the floor.
Why Work at UPMC?
UPMC is committed to investing in nurses like you â€“ financially, personally, and professionally â€“ starting on day one of your career. From tackling student loans to advancing your career later in life, UPMC is the partner you need to succeed and thrive in your nursing career.
Hereâ€™s How We Support Our Nurses
- Generous Sign-On Bonus of up to $15,000 (*Amount and eligibility based on type of nursing role and candidate experience)
- UPMCâ€™s brand new Monthly Loan Repayment Program, exclusively for 2022/2023 nursing graduates, offering $20,000* in loan repayment paid over three years (*Eligible flex full-time RN roles to receive prorated amount)
- Up to five and a half weeks of Paid Time Off annually, plus seven paid holidays each year
- Dedicated career ladders, including a brand-new nursing career ladder added just this year, allowing you to achieve your highest potential while rewarding you for your experience and advanced education
Tuition reimbursement of up to $6,000 per academic year at any accredited institution, available to employees and their dependents (plus discounts for UPMC employees including no cost RN-BSN/MSN options!)
At UPMC, weâ€™re passionate about continuing to support your growth throughout your nursing journey. We offer a robust career ladder for bedside nursing that starts with Professional Staff Nurse and leads to Expert Nurse and beyond. The final job title and rate of pay will be based upon both individual qualifications and candidate choice. Any required certifications and contributions based on job title will be afforded a timeframe to obtain. Our competitive career ladder, as well as our Total Rewards package, will be discussed at time of offer to ensure you can make the choices that are right for you. The minimum rate of pay for a non-BSN Professional Staff Nurse is $28.90.
- Actively participates in department or unit-specific quality improvement efforts. Identifies opportunities for quality improvement to colleagues and management. Takes personal responsibility in improving patient satisfaction with the quality of care and service. Utilizes research and evidence-based practice to support improvement in clinical care: identifies research issues or articles related to clinical specialty or areas of interest, discusses opportunities for quality improvement at multidisciplinary rounds, and influences patients’ plans of care.
- Applies the nursing process within the framework of Relationship Based Care to create a healing environment. Formulates daily goals and a plan of care for patients that involves the patient as a partner and considers the individual needs of the patient in a holistic manner.
- Incorporates national professional organization as well as business unit and health system’s goals to improve patient safety, quality, and satisfaction. Creates a caring and compassionate patient-focused experience by building healing relationships with patients, families, and colleagues.
- Develops and maintains productive working relationships internally and externally by demonstrating accountability for actions, enthusiasm, motivation, and commitment to patients and colleagues. Demonstrates an understanding of cultural differences and holds peers accountable for healthy relationships. Maintains a conscious balance between work and personal life. Models safe work hours, time management, and a healthy lifestyle. Communicates with peers and management any safety hazards identified in the workplace.
- Demonstrates accountability for professional development that improves the quality of professional practice and the quality of patient care. Actively participates in unit-based shared governance, goal setting and supports the change and transition process to improve quality of care and the practice environment.
Demonstrates knowledge of adult learning principles (and/or teaching children if applicable) and applies in teaching of patients, families, students, and new staff. Provides detailed and appropriate teaching to patients and families to effectively guide them through the episode of care as well as transition to another level of care and/or home. Supports the development of students, new staff, and colleagues, may serve as a preceptor. Creates an environment of open dialogue, inquiry, and continuous development by asking for feedback and improving practice.
- Zero to one year of experience.
- BSN preferred.
- Completion of UPMC student nurse internship or student clinical transitions course at UPMC preferred.
- The individual must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care and/or interact appropriately with the ages of the patients served by his/her assigned unit as specified below.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient’s status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient’s requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs and to provide the care needs as described in the department policy and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive, caring relationships with executives, managers, physicians, non-physician providers, ancillary and support staff, other departments, and patients/families.
- Ability to work productively and effectively within a complex environment, handle multiple/changing priorities and specialized equipment.
- Critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving abilities required as related to various aspects of patient care.
- Good clinical judgment.
- Mobility and visual manual dexterity.
Physical stamina for frequent walking, standing, lifting, and positioning of patients
Licensure, Certifications, And Clearances
- Current Pennsylvania licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse
- Must complete licensure examination within FOUR MONTHS of hire or within one year of graduation, whichever comes first. Though temporary permits are valid for one year from the date of graduation, not one year from the issue of permit (or until the results of the examination are known at which time it becomes null and void), UPMC requires that GNs take the licensure examination within 4 months of their start date or they will be terminated or demoted from the GN position, at the discretion of the BU.
- CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
- Registered Nurse (RN) OR Temporary Practice Permit (TPP)
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMCâ€™s COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the COVID-19 Vaccination Information section at the top of this page to learn more.
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMCâ€™s Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life â€” because we believe that youâ€™re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, weâ€™re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.