When you join the team at Unum, you become part of an organization committed to helping you thrive.
To Enable This, We Provide
Here, we work to provide the employee benefits and service solutions that enable employees at our client companies to thrive throughout lifeâ€™s moments. And this starts with ensuring that every one of our team members enjoys opportunities to succeed both professionally and personally.
- Award-winning culture
- Inclusion and diversity as a priority
- Performance Based Incentive Plans
- Competitive benefits package that includes: Health, Vision, Dental, Short & Long-Term Disability
- Generous PTO (including paid time to volunteer!)
- Up to 9.5% 401(k) employer contribution
- Mental health support
- Career advancement opportunities
- Student loan repayment options
- Tuition reimbursement
- Flexible work environments
- All the benefits listed above are subject to the terms of their individual Plans.
And thatâ€™s just the beginningâ€¦
With 10,000 employees helping more than 39 million people worldwide, every role at Unum is meaningful and impacts the lives of our customers. Whether youâ€™re directly supporting a growing family, or developing online tools to help navigate a difficult loss, customers are counting on the combined talents of our entire team. Help us help others, and join Team Unum today!
Location: In addition to our Portland, ME home office location, we are open to candidates within commutable distances to our Chattanooga, TN, Atlanta, GA and Columbia, SC home office locations.
This position for a developing data scientist who is excited to transform data into actionable insights and impactful solutions which drive Marketing results. The role requires increasing technical expertise in the fields of computer programming, applied statistics and data manipulation. The ideal candidate will have digital marketing acumen and be a creative and analytical thinker who is excited to design technical solutions for optimizing the performance of digital demand generation strategies, campaigns and tactics. The individual is expected to continuously increase business knowledge and take initiative in identifying and executing analytical approaches to support assigned projects.
There is flexibility in the opening, and we are evaluating individuals from entry to experienced levels.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- Design and execute analytical solutions using statistical, optimization, simulation and data mining methods with a focus on delivering actionable insights and partnership to deliver business value.
- Integrate large volume of data from different sources (including DB2, SQL Server, Web API and Teradata) to create data assets and perform analyses
- Apply validation, aggregation and reconciliation techniques to create rich modeling-ready data framework.
- Construct predictive models using machine learning to explain and understand observed events, forecast expected behavior, or identify risk through scoring or clustering.
- Efficiently interpret results and communicate findings and potential value to manager.
- Support integration of solutions within existing business processes using automation techniques.
- Understand theory and application of current and emerging statistical methods and tools.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Bachelorâ€™s degree in quantitative field is preferred
- 2 years preferred of professional experience or equivalent relevant work experience
- Core Data Science Capabilities: Deep expertise in at least one of the following skillsets preferred, with basic capability in the others:
- Programming & Process automation: Experience using APIs, file I/O, database, and analysis libraries. Understanding of programming in jupyter notebooks and/ or statistical packages. Understanding of process mapping and demonstrated application of scripting languages to automate processes. Exposure to data mining and web scraping.
- Data Visualization: Working knowledge of two or more data visualization tools and proficiency in static data visualization. Basic understanding of dynamic data visualization
- Statistics & Statistical modeling: Solid understanding of statistical inference and regression. Basic understanding of machine learning techniques including random forests and neural nets. Basic understanding of feature selection and extraction which may include analysis of categorical data, multiple comparisons, Central Limit Theorem, bootstrapping, and permutation tests
- Data Extraction, Transformation, and Loading (ETL) skillsets preferred: Expertise in writing complex SQL queries that join multiple tables/databases. Given a business problem, independently explore databases/tables to identify best data sources. Demonstrates ability to troubleshoot complex SQL queries written by others with little guidance.
- Core business capabilities: basic communication skills, exposure to financial services industry, and attention to detail and ability to prioritize while working on multiple projects keeping track of due dates
- Leadership Capabilities: Ability to coach or mentor team members, respond quickly and positively to change, adheres to technical best practices by collaborating with team members to deliver high quality output
- Preferred characteristics: Entrepreneurial self-starter. A thorough, results-oriented problem-solver, and a lifelong learner with voracious curiosity. Basic understanding of their organization.
Unum and Colonial Life are part of Unum Group, a Fortune 500 company and leading provider of employee benefits to companies worldwide. Headquartered in Chattanooga, TN, with international offices in Ireland, Poland and the UK, Unum also has significant operations in Portland, ME, and Baton Rouge, LA – plus over 35 US field offices. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, SC, with over 40 field offices nationwide.
The base salary range for applicants for this position is listed below. Unless actual salary is indicated above in the job description, actual pay will be based on skill, geographical location and experience.
Additionally, Unum offers a portfolio of benefits and rewards that are competitive and comprehensive including healthcare benefits (health, vision, dental), insurance benefits (short & long-term disability), performance-based incentive plans, paid time off, and a 401(k) retirement plan with an employer match up to 5% and an additional 4.5% contribution whether you contribute to the plan or not. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of individual Plans.