To Enable This, We Provide
Here, we work to provide the employee benefits and service solutions that enable employees at our client companies to thrive throughout lifeâ€™s moments. And this starts with ensuring that every one of our team members enjoys opportunities to succeed both professionally and personally.
- Award-winning culture
- Inclusion and diversity as a priority
- Performance Based Incentive Plans
- Competitive benefits package that includes: Health, Vision, Dental, Short & Long-Term Disability
- Generous PTO (including paid time to volunteer!)
- Up to 9.5% 401(k) employer contribution
- Mental health support
- Career advancement opportunities
- Student loan repayment options
- Tuition reimbursement
- Flexible work environments
- All the benefits listed above are subject to the terms of their individual Plans.
And thatâ€™s just the beginningâ€¦
With 10,000 employees helping more than 39 million people worldwide, every role at Unum is meaningful and impacts the lives of our customers. Whether youâ€™re directly supporting a growing family, or developing online tools to help navigate a difficult loss, customers are counting on the combined talents of our entire team. Help us help others, and join Team Unum today!
The Senior Employee Relations position delivers a high level of expertise at all levels within an assigned client area. Professionals serve in a consultative role by providing advice, guidance and coaching to different levels of management on performance, EEO and employee relations issues. The primary focus of their role is to build expertise in managers that they are coaching and work with leaders to identify trends and themes to make recommendations to support business strategies and objectives. They are responsible for the investigation and management of all employment related complaints. The Sr. Employee Relations position is responsible for understanding and balancing the needs of the business and our clients, while ensuring practical, consistent application of HR policies and practices to limit risk exposure.
Due to the often-complex issues to be resolved, this position has significant impact on the manager-employee relationship, and on the work environment and plays a key role in the success of the organization. This Sr. Employee Relations Consultant minimizes legal exposure for the Company as a result of effective employee relations consultation and knowledge of employment laws, HR policies and high level of employee relations expertise.
In addition to their primary role, they also provide a training/mentoring role for less experienced consultants. They are recognized as the subject matter experts. A collaborative partnership exists between the Senior Employee Relations Consultant and HR Business Partner. Pertinent information and expertise are exchanged on a timely basis thereby facilitating the success of client and organization initiatives. The Sr. Employee Relations Consultant works closely with the HR Business Partners and business areas to provide risk assessment and support through the organizational change process. Strong partnerships are maintained between ER, Legal, Disability Management, and Security as many cases require that the Sr. ERC integrate efforts of one or all of these areas in managing Employee Relations matters. They are providing insight and recommendations to process improvements for Employee Relations topics and processes in other areas that may benefit from an ER lens.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- Provides performance management support and coaching to managers with the intended goal of growing managersâ€™ expertise in this area.
- Recommends appropriate management action in response to performance, EEO/employee relations’ issues.
- Provides training and mentoring function to individual ER consultants as assigned.
- Provides strategic coaching, leadership, and training to leaders to develop subject matter expertise to mitigate risk.
- In partnership with Leadership Development and Training, provides training and coaching to managers to increase their effectiveness in areas of HR management.
- Develops and/or conducts training modules for sexual harassment, legislative awareness, ADA, affirmative action, performance management, and disciplinary actions.
- Reviews complaint investigations and documentation by others for internal/external precedent, applicable law, and potential liability prior to a recommended resolution.
- Responds to and tracks all employment-related complaints and allegations related to discrimination, violation of law or unfair treatment based on age, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status including complaints regarding harassment of physical, sexual, verbal, or visual nature.
- Conducts investigations in response to internal complaints. Facilitates complaint resolution.
- Represents Unum in person and in writing in response to, and resolution of, external discrimination charges.
- Responds to legal compliance requirements by external agencies.
- Advises managers on disciplinary issues including misconduct, policy practice violations, corrective actions, probation, and termination. Reviews involuntary terminations and disciplinary decisions for fairness, consistency, and potential legal liability.
- Regularly uses judgment and discretion to interpret corporate policy for employees and managers. Encourages reliance on new tools as they become available and less reliance on individual consultation.
- Consults with Disability Management, Legal and management on FMLA/ADA and Return to Work issues, with Legal on complex employment issues and on termination issues, and with Security and Legal on threat issues. Manages conflict resolution and mediation of issues within client area based upon knowledge of the organization and HR issues involved.
- Administration of exit interviews, surveys and other measurements when required. Timely interpretation of measures and trends shared with the Business Partners and other internal partners.
- Conduct legal assessment and facilitate calibration sessions for leaders for organizational change efforts.
- Conducts research, data analysis and build trends and themes decks to provide strategic recommendations to client areas.
- Special projects as assigned.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree preferred
- 3-7 years of related Employee Relations experience and/or broad HR related experience
- Experience working in a complex organization, preferably business
- Experience in a consulting type role, showing the ability to objectively assess and influence outcomes
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with emphasis on listening and communicating clearly and succinctly
- Ability to utilize logic and analytic discipline to solve difficult problems and identify viable solutions
- Experience facilitating others to accomplish a goal
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and approach work with an agile mindset
- Experience showing the ability to balance and integrate a compassionate approach to dealing with sensitive human issues with a pragmatic approach to making the right business decision.
- Broad knowledge of employment law preferred
- Ability to influence others and exhibit leadership to address challenging issues with stakeholders
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Excellent writing skills
Unum and Colonial Life are part of Unum Group, a Fortune 500 company and leading provider of employee benefits to companies worldwide. Headquartered in Chattanooga, TN, with international offices in Ireland, Poland and the UK, Unum also has significant operations in Portland, ME, and Baton Rouge, LA – plus over 35 US field offices. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, SC, with over 40 field offices nationwide.
The base salary range for applicants for this position is listed below. Unless actual salary is indicated above in the job description, actual pay will be based on skill, geographical location and experience.
Additionally, Unum offers a portfolio of benefits and rewards that are competitive and comprehensive including healthcare benefits (health, vision, dental), insurance benefits (short & long-term disability), performance-based incentive plans, paid time off, and a 401(k) retirement plan with an employer match up to 5% and an additional 4.5% contribution whether you contribute to the plan or not. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of individual Plans.