To Enable This, We Provide
Here, we work to provide the employee benefits and service solutions that enable employees at our client companies to thrive throughout lifeâ€™s moments. And this starts with ensuring that every one of our team members enjoys opportunities to succeed both professionally and personally.
- Award-winning culture
- Inclusion and diversity as a priority
- Performance Based Incentive Plans
- Competitive benefits package that includes: Health, Vision, Dental, Short & Long-Term Disability
- Generous PTO (including paid time to volunteer!)
- Up to 9.5% 401(k) employer contribution
- Mental health support
- Career advancement opportunities
- Student loan repayment options
- Tuition reimbursement
- Flexible work environments
- All the benefits listed above are subject to the terms of their individual Plans.
And thatâ€™s just the beginningâ€¦
With 10,000 employees helping more than 39 million people worldwide, every role at Unum is meaningful and impacts the lives of our customers. Whether youâ€™re directly supporting a growing family, or developing online tools to help navigate a difficult loss, customers are counting on the combined talents of our entire team. Help us help others, and join Team Unum today!
The Generalist role will play a key role in the success of the organization by offering guidance on HR best practices, talent management and employee engagement and inclusion. The role will be deeply involved at the front-line leader level. This role operates in support of an AVP, HRBP in helping to increase organizational reach and build capability at the manager and director levels. Daily duties will span across several areas of HR work (as outlined below) and will flex according to the needs of the business.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- Facilitate Talent and Succession planning for Manager and Director levels. Also facilitate HIPO identification and development planning for select individual contributor roles
- Support tactical implementation of organizational change efforts including maintaining documentation as needed
- Engage in front-line manager/director coaching with emphasis on enhancing leadership effectiveness of front-line leaders
- Works closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, employee engagement, increase productivity and retention
- Support the HR department in implementing programs that improve the employee experience
- Provide consulting support to managers/directors regarding emerging performance management concerns (engage ERC when entering official Perf Mgmt process)
- Provide advice and guidance on complex HR Policies & Procedures with emphasis on effective implementation within business areas
- Facilitate year-end salary review processes
- Tactical support to HRBPs including conducting research, data analysis and building story decks and recommendations
- Conduct select exit interviews; analyzes turnover data and makes recommendations to management for corrective action and continuous improvement
- Lead and/or contribute to key talent initiatives
- May work across multiple business areas or in a dedicated area
- May perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelorâ€™s degree, preferably in in business management/HR, or equivalent experience in a variety of HR aspects
- 5+ years Employee Relations and/or HR Generalist experience
- PHR Certification preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills and organizational savvy.
- Exhibits leadership courage and the ability to address challenging issues with stakeholders at all levels with candor.
- Relates well with people at all levels. Builds appropriate rapport, uses diplomacy and tact, and capable of diffusing high-tension situations comfortably. Able to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Strong verbal, written, and storytelling skills
- Customer focus: understands the needs and requirements of internal and external customers and delivers appropriate solutions
- Problem solving: uses rigorous logic and analytic discipline to solve difficult problems and identify viable solutions; looks beyond the obvious and is focused on best outcomes
- Self-starter; sets ambitious personal goals and standards; Results oriented
- Able to deal effectively with ambiguity and complexity; reacts quickly within a constantly changing environment. Asserts a â€˜can doâ€™ attitude
- Approaches work from an agile mindset; results oriented. Able to manage, plan and prioritize own workload to achieve outcomes within specified timeframes. Able to effectively manage multiple, competing priorities
- Strong mindset for continuous improvement and innovation; demonstrates ability to take risks and consider new and untried approaches
- Desire to work as part of a team; holds self and others accountable for achieving desired outcomes
- Strong data management and computer software skills (Workday, Excel, Qualtrics, etc.)
Unum and Colonial Life are part of Unum Group, a Fortune 500 company and leading provider of employee benefits to companies worldwide. Headquartered in Chattanooga, TN, with international offices in Ireland, Poland and the UK, Unum also has significant operations in Portland, ME, and Baton Rouge, LA – plus over 35 US field offices. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, SC, with over 40 field offices nationwide.
The base salary range for applicants for this position is listed below. Unless actual salary is indicated above in the job description, actual pay will be based on skill, geographical location and experience.
Additionally, Unum offers a portfolio of benefits and rewards that are competitive and comprehensive including healthcare benefits (health, vision, dental), insurance benefits (short & long-term disability), performance-based incentive plans, paid time off, and a 401(k) retirement plan with an employer match up to 5% and an additional 4.5% contribution whether you contribute to the plan or not. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of individual Plans.