Looking for local candidates. Onsite in Columbia SC (2 days on 3 days remote)
UNUM is looking to hire a Software Development Apprentice Associate to join our Digital Transformation Organization here in Columbia, SC (onsite 2 days a week, remote 3 days a week). This is an entry level role into Unum IT, and is designed to attract and support high caliber candidates to successfully start their career at Unum. This role includes Associate Software (ASE), Associate Business Analyst (ABA), and Associate Test Engineer (ATE), Associate User Experience (AUX)
- Individuals will contribute to the analysis, design, construction, test and delivery of software-based solutions. This is a team member role and the individual will work as part of a team, responsible for tasks as assigned by team members and Manager
Our Fortune 500 company is driving a digital transformation and looking for forward-thinking innovators to disrupt how our industry thinks about and uses technology. As one of the world’s leading employee benefits providers, we help millions of people gain affordable access to benefits that help them protect their families, their finances and their futures.
Are you an asker of questions, a solver of problems, and a challenger of the status quo? Our mission is to provide a differentiated customer experience and exceed the expectations people have of technology at any company â€” not just insurers.
We are seeking individuals to join our team of talented IT professionals who share never-ending passion and an unwavering focus on our customer experience. Team members comfortable working in an agile, fast-paced, and delivery-focused environment thrive in our environment where we value an entrepreneurial spirit and those who challenge the status-quo.
Unum is changing, and weâ€™re excited about whatâ€™s next. Join us.
- Bachelors of Computer Science preferred, or equivalent relevant business experience
- The Associate role is an entry level role into Unum, and typically has zero to two years of IT related experience.
- Shows evidence of analytical ability
- Takes a logical, analytical approach to problem solving and pays close attention to detail
- Knowledge of Agile Development Methodologies
- Self motivated and results oriented
- Demonstrates strong focus on quality delivery and delighting customers; holds self to high standards of delivery
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills.
- Strong team player; able to work effectively within a team and more broadly with people from a variety of backgrounds and areas across the organization.
- Ability and drive to learn
- An understanding and experience with some of the technologies below is expected and the candidate is required to develop deep expertise in many of these during their work in Unum :
- Development Tools / IDEâ€™s: Visual Studio, Visual Studio Code, Browser Dev Tools (IE & Chrome), SharePoint Designer, Fiddler, Charles, Wireshark
- Source Control: Visual Studio Team Services, GitHub, BitBucket,
- Application Types: ASP.NET MVC, Web API,
- Frameworks and Libraries: jQuery, NodeJS/NPM, AngularJS (1.x), Knockout.js, Backbone, Ember, React, Bootstrap, Foundation, Office UI Fabric, Material, Gulp, Grunt, JSLint, Mocha, Chai, Karma, Protractor, Selenium, Nintex, K2
- Security and Protocols: NTLM, SAML, OAuth, SOAP, WCF, HTTP/S, TCP/IP, SMTP, REST
- Cloud Platforms: Azure, Google Cloud, AWS, Salesforce /Force.com, Heroku, Cloud 9
- Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows 10, Windows Server 2008 R2+, Mac OSX, Linux
- Database and Storage Technologies: SQL Server, Azure Storage (various), AWS Storage (various) , MongoDB, PostgreSQL
- Process: Scrum, User Stories
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- An Associate is responsible for the analysis, design, testing, implementation, and maintenance of new and existing features for the applications for a given business domain
- Responsible for communication and collaboration with team members and Manager in the delivery of features
- Analyses, Designs, codes, configures, unit tests, maintains, and documents software deliverables using agreed upon standards and tools. Participates in sizing and estimation activities within the agile team
- Communicates daily with the Scrum Master or Manager and the Agile team on progress made and planned progress for the coming day and reports any impediments that are blocking their progress
- Embraces learning opportunities such as code reviews and sprint retrospectives; contributing ideas for continuous improvement and readily receives feedback for self-improvement.
- Exercises creativity and resourcefulness in solving technical problems in a way that maximizes customer value
- Focuses on work items as determined by Manager or Scrum Master
- Responsible for following the quality practices â€“ peer reviews, design reviews, code reviews, comprehensive software testing, test automation, and retrospectives
- Demonstrates an interest in software architectures and seeks to design solutions in alignment with Company stated architecture and standards
- Participate in Proof Of Concept work and prototyping when necessary
- Collaborates with Business Analysts to confirm understanding of business requirements relating to features to be delivered and to help the Business Analyst define requirements that can be delivered from a technical perspective
- Collaborates with User Experience (UX) designers to ensure designs produced can be translated efficiently into working solutions for feature delivery
- Collaborate with Test Engineers and Senior Test Engineers to ensure that software meets the definition of done; ensuring successful transition of work to the next stage of production during the sprints
- Includes automation into daily practices â€“ including Automated testing, continuous Integration, continuous release, etc.
- Ensures that the latest project progress is known to the agile team by ensuring Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) tools, for example Agile Central, are up to date and participating in daily standups outlining progress made, progress planned and any impediments
- Thinks with the mind of the end customer at all times, ensuring solutions seek to improve the customer experience and delight their customers.
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best â€“ both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.
The base salary range for applicants for this position is listed below. Unless actual salary is indicated above in the job description, actual pay will be based on skill, geographical location and experience.
Additionally, Unum offers a portfolio of benefits and rewards that are competitive and comprehensive including healthcare benefits (health, vision, dental), insurance benefits (short & long-term disability), performance-based incentive plans, paid time off, and a 401(k) retirement plan with an employer match up to 5% and an additional 4.5% contribution whether you contribute to the plan or not. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of individual Plans.