When you join the team at Unum, you become part of an organization committed to helping you thrive.
To Enable This, We Provide
Here, we work to provide the employee benefits and service solutions that enable employees at our client companies to thrive throughout lifeâ€™s moments. And this starts with ensuring that every one of our team members enjoys opportunities to succeed both professionally and personally.
- Award-winning culture
- Inclusion and diversity as a priority
- Competitive benefits package that includes: Health, Vision, Dental, Short & Long-Term Disability
- Generous PTO (including paid time to volunteer!)
- Up to 9.5% 401(k) employer contribution
- Mental health support
- Career advancement opportunities
- Student loan repayment options
- Tuition reimbursement
- Flexible work environments
- All the benefits listed above are subject to the terms of their individual Plans.
And thatâ€™s just the beginningâ€¦
With 10,000 employees helping more than 39 million people worldwide, every role at Unum is meaningful and impacts the lives of our customers. Whether youâ€™re directly supporting a growing family, or developing online tools to help navigate a difficult loss, customers are counting on the combined talents of our entire team. Help us help others, and join Team Unum today!
The Sales Consultant Associate is in active development to be a marketing and technical expert who represents Unum â€“ educating and motivating other professionals to sell Unum products to their clients in the small case market. The SCA is responsible for building relationships with insurance brokers, agents, and consultants to advise, educate, price, and negotiate the best employee benefit offering for their employer clients. Sales Consultant Associates participate in an extensive development program that includes, among many other components, the assignment of a mentor, participation with an associate group class cohort, and technical/product training.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- Effectively learn and understand the Unum business environment to support the acquisition and retention of new customers
- Acquire a broad knowledge of Unumâ€™s group and voluntary product portfolio and service offerings and how to position sales solutions to brokers and clients
- Develop and build relationships with brokers in an assigned territory and/or for an assigned product
- Assist in the enrollment process for new and existing customers
- Build a pipeline of opportunities to sell and support the acquisition and retention of new customers in the small case market
- Work with Quote Unum and Underwriting to effectively understand negotiation and business pricing in the small case market
- Build strong broker/distribution partnerships
- Build strong sales team partnerships
- Gain necessary knowledge to educate brokers and clients on key product, statutory and compliance topics pertaining to applicable insurance offerings
- Assist in preparation and presentation of block reviews for top brokers
- During development period, ability to obtain insurance license in states within assigned territory
- May perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelors degree required
- Excellent interpersonal, collaboration and presentation skills
- Ability to handle multiple, often competing priorities
- Highly energized, motivated self-starter who thrives on a challenge and in a fast-paced environment
- High level of organization, implementation/execution and project management abilities
- Demonstrate a “can-do” spirit, a sense of optimism and excitement, ownership and commitment/loyalty
- Goal and results oriented
- Strong ability to think and implement strategically and tactically
- Strong ability to influence and persuade
- Strong oral and written communication skills as well as problem solving skills
- Ability to work with a team to achieve optimal sales results
- Ability to travel on a limited basis
Unum and Colonial Life are part of Unum Group, a Fortune 500 company and leading provider of employee benefits to companies worldwide. Headquartered in Chattanooga, TN, with international offices in Ireland, Poland and the UK, Unum also has significant operations in Portland, ME, and Baton Rouge, LA – plus over 35 US field offices. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, SC, with over 40 field offices nationwide.
Fully and partially leveraged roles are paid pursuant to a uniformly applied sales compensation plan. In some instances for partially leveraged roles, a starting salary will be listed in the above job description. If a starting salary is not listed in the job description above, the base salary is zero.
Additionally, Unum offers a portfolio of benefits and rewards that are competitive and comprehensive including healthcare benefits (health, vision, dental), insurance benefits (short & long-term disability), paid time off, and a 401(k) retirement plan with an employer match up to 5% and an additional 4.5% contribution whether you contribute to the plan or not. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of individual Plans.