When you join the team at Unum, you become part of an organization committed to helping you thrive.
To Enable This, We Provide
Here, we work to provide the employee benefits and service solutions that enable employees at our client companies to thrive throughout lifeâ€™s moments. And this starts with ensuring that every one of our team members enjoys opportunities to succeed both professionally and personally.
- Award-winning culture
- Inclusion and diversity as a priority
- Performance Based Incentive Plans
- Competitive benefits package that includes: Health, Vision, Dental, Short & Long-Term Disability
- Generous PTO (including paid time to volunteer!)
- Up to 9.5% 401(k) employer contribution
- Mental health support
- Career advancement opportunities
- Student loan repayment options
- Tuition reimbursement
- Flexible work environments
- All the benefits listed above are subject to the terms of their individual Plans.
And thatâ€™s just the beginningâ€¦
With 10,000 employees helping more than 39 million people worldwide, every role at Unum is meaningful and impacts the lives of our customers. Whether youâ€™re directly supporting a growing family, or developing online tools to help navigate a difficult loss, customers are counting on the combined talents of our entire team. Help us help others, and join Team Unum today!
This is an entry level position of a Billing Experience Consultant career path. Billing Experience Consultantâ€™s partner with other departments to ensure the accuracy of invoices, correspond with clients to follow up on outstanding or ensure appropriate payment application, and resolve billing related issues. Work is performed under general supervision according to established guidelines. This position is a customer facing role that services the following products: Unum Group, Colonial Life, Voluntary Benefits while delivering a consistent and predictable quality billing experience. The ideal candidate would be a highly motivated individual with an attention to detail, problem solving and a positive attitude while working in a fast-paced environment. This position is a key contributor to building customer loyalty which drives positive persistency and supports achieving top and bottom-line growth objectives for Unum.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- Responsible for policy administration and the coordination of activities associated with Group or VB (Voluntary Benefits) plan, fee related products and services, and support one or more Unum Platforms
- Support, educate, and resolve billing inquiries and research from external and internal partners
- Applies money from various internal accounts and processes refund checks as necessary to resolve billing discrepancies
- Review and understand policy provisions and internal workflows to identify when to partner with other departments regarding monies received other than billing payments
- May perform comprehensive audits including, but not limited to, enrollment activity, premium remittance and allocation, compensation validation and policy changes
- Drive customer satisfaction by managing and prioritizing the high volumes of email and phone inquiries from internal and external customers
- Ability to work and collaborate effectively across functional teams to identify and resolve customer billing issues. This may involve working with individual policyholders, plan administrators, client services and field partners, implementation managers, underwriting partners, and brokers or third-party administrators as needed
- Manage and analyze various daily, weekly, and monthly financial reports and data (Daily Registers, Suspense Accounts, and Due and Unpaid reports at a group or policy level) and take appropriate actions as needed
- Accountable for individual and team level metrics to ensure that departmental goals are met
- Understand and apply all company policies and procedures to ensure service standards are met
- Assists in improvement opportunities (assisting with projects and piloting new workflows and procedures).
- Maintain high quality standards and accuracy on all interactions and outputs
- May assist field partners and implementation managers with billing timeline development for new and reenrolled accounts, including change and deduction needs. Obtaining initial premium payment for enrollments events.
- May perform other duties as assigned
- Commit to own personal development.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree preferred or equivalent, relevant business experience required.
- 2-4 years industry-related experience in a customer service role.
- Strong customer service orientation
- Effective communication and collaboration skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment; Good organizational and time management skills
- Good interpersonal negotiation, persuasion, and conflict management skills
- Strong Excel skills
- Solid research and problem-solving skills, with the ability to make sound business decisions
- Solid mathematical aptitude, analytical skills, and attention to detail.
- Solid understanding of insurance marketplace
Unum and Colonial Life are part of Unum Group, a Fortune 500 company and leading provider of employee benefits to companies worldwide. Headquartered in Chattanooga, TN, with international offices in Ireland, Poland and the UK, Unum also has significant operations in Portland, ME, and Baton Rouge, LA – plus over 35 US field offices. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, SC, with over 40 field offices nationwide.
The base salary range for applicants for this position is listed below. Unless actual salary is indicated above in the job description, actual pay will be based on skill, geographical location and experience.
Additionally, Unum offers a portfolio of benefits and rewards that are competitive and comprehensive including healthcare benefits (health, vision, dental), insurance benefits (short & long-term disability), performance-based incentive plans, paid time off, and a 401(k) retirement plan with an employer match up to 5% and an additional 4.5% contribution whether you contribute to the plan or not. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of individual Plans.