To Enable This, We Provide
Here, we work to provide the employee benefits and service solutions that enable employees at our client companies to thrive throughout lifeâ€™s moments. And this starts with ensuring that every one of our team members enjoys opportunities to succeed both professionally and personally.
- Award-winning culture
- Inclusion and diversity as a priority
- Performance Based Incentive Plans
- Competitive benefits package that includes: Health, Vision, Dental, Short & Long-Term Disability
- Generous PTO (including paid time to volunteer!)
- Up to 9.5% 401(k) employer contribution
- Mental health support
- Career advancement opportunities
- Student loan repayment options
- Tuition reimbursement
- Flexible work environments
- All the benefits listed above are subject to the terms of their individual Plans.
And thatâ€™s just the beginningâ€¦
With 10,000 employees helping more than 39 million people worldwide, every role at Unum is meaningful and impacts the lives of our customers. Whether youâ€™re directly supporting a growing family, or developing online tools to help navigate a difficult loss, customers are counting on the combined talents of our entire team. Help us help others, and join Team Unum today!
*** This is a hybrid opportunity, defined as 3 days at home, 2 days in the office ***
An Agile leader, the Product Owner collaborates closely with IT and business stakeholders to drive capability development in support of excellent customer experience.
The Product Owner will support our HR Connect platform, which includes managing the scrum team delivery of supporting capabilities needed for execution of the roadmap, driving feature definition and keeping the teams focused on delivering what matters most.
The Product Owner is also accountable for operational readiness and mobilizes the right people to prepare the business to effectively accept, use and support new capabilities before they are delivered to production. The Product Owner may be accountable to a Senior Product Owner if needed based on the scope and complexity of their assigned roadmap.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Strong verbal, written communication and presentation skills, including the ability to translate technical subject matter to nontechnical audiences.
- Demonstrated success in progressive delivery of technical projects.
- Proven ability to lead a team, influence with and without authority, challenge the status quo, and create a competitive advantage for the organization.
- Product Owner certification preferred (PSPO and/or CSPO)
- Proven understanding of product management lifecycle and agile methodologies.
- IT technical acumen to effectively collaborate with architects, designers and all dev ops team members.
- Experience in developing and understanding digital technology roadmaps including identification and understanding of technical requirements.
- Strong interpersonal skills and track record of engaging with customers/ cross-functional stakeholders at all levels, in a wide variety of situations, and demonstrated ability to listen, influence, and relate to customers/stakeholders in their own language.
- Proven ability to help inform leaders in making difficult decisions.
- Creative thinker and problem solver who can confidently express complex ideas in an articulate, concise manner.
- Some experience in negotiation and persuasion skills.
- Demonstrates high levels of ownership and accountability. Self-starter and ability to effectively chart a path forward in ambiguous situations or under a general direction.
- Demonstrates the ability to champion change and support teams through change.
- Able to effectively coach, mentor, and identify and address skill needs and gaps for continuous improvement of self and team.
Principle Duties And Responsibilities
- Contributes to business case development and cost benefit analysis within their product scope
- Ensures IT delivery roadmap is aligned to the strategic annual product roadmap
- Informs business around opportunities and executes on the product roadmap
- Sets product and adoption KPIs with business partners and derives cascading metrics down through to the development and delivery activities
- Maintains holistic understanding of relevant client personas and has the ability to engage with internal and external clients to test assumptions as well as being able to understand and articulate to the Agile Team the client needs.
- Translates client needs from discovery into product backlog work items
- Ensures on an ongoing basis that client feedback is represented and influences prioritization, trade off, and roadmap decisions
- Builds and maintains an updated and prioritized product backlog
- Accountable to ensure the backlog represents technical bodies of work required for long term technical integrity.
- Accountable for creation and ownership of product backlog work items including acceptance criteria (Features, User Stories)
- Fully engages and leverages methodologies outlined in relevant product area. Eg. Customer Journey, Agile Methodologies, Program Execution Framework ie. Program Ways of Working
- Maintains a set of tools and skills to elicit client insights and feedback. Eg. Focus Groups, Surveys, use-ability Sessions, Interviews, Use of Prototyping
- Maintains set of tactical agile techniques in relation to work decomposition, planning, estimation, backlog tooling, status reporting
- Builds and maintains current internal business expertise relevant to area of product development
- Engages in industry analysis of trends, technology, and market advancements
- Demonstrates active engagement and sharing of practices in Product Owner forums
- Ensures operational readiness efforts are in place as new technology-driven capabilities are moved to production environments.
- Participate in the design digital adoption strategy with operational leaders
- Track benefit realization on solutions that have moved to production, monitoring KPIs and incorporating feedback in future enhancements in the product backlog
- Leveraging backlog tooling software to provide metrics, status and progress towards deployment
- Track progress of work towards agreed timelines for deliverables to ensure the health and progress of the holistic delivery roadmap. Adjusting and communicating changes to timelines with review of impacts from changes
Unum and Colonial Life are part of Unum Group, a Fortune 500 company and leading provider of employee benefits to companies worldwide. Headquartered in Chattanooga, TN, with international offices in Ireland, Poland and the UK, Unum also has significant operations in Portland, ME, and Baton Rouge, LA – plus over 35 US field offices. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, SC, with over 40 field offices nationwide.
The base salary range for applicants for this position is listed below. Unless actual salary is indicated above in the job description, actual pay will be based on skill, geographical location and experience.
Additionally, Unum offers a portfolio of benefits and rewards that are competitive and comprehensive including healthcare benefits (health, vision, dental), insurance benefits (short & long-term disability), performance-based incentive plans, paid time off, and a 401(k) retirement plan with an employer match up to 5% and an additional 4.5% contribution whether you contribute to the plan or not. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of individual Plans.