When you join the team at Unum, you become part of an organization committed to helping you thrive.
To Enable This, We Provide
Here, we work to provide the employee benefits and service solutions that enable employees at our client companies to thrive throughout lifeâ€™s moments. And this starts with ensuring that every one of our team members enjoys opportunities to succeed both professionally and personally.
- Award-winning culture
- Inclusion and diversity as a priority
- Performance Based Incentive Plans
- Competitive benefits package that includes: Health, Vision, Dental, Short & Long-Term Disability
- Generous PTO (including paid time to volunteer!)
- Up to 9.5% 401(k) employer contribution
- Mental health support
- Career advancement opportunities
- Student loan repayment options
- Tuition reimbursement
- Flexible work environments
- All the benefits listed above are subject to the terms of their individual Plans.
And thatâ€™s just the beginningâ€¦
With 10,000 employees helping more than 39 million people worldwide, every role at Unum is meaningful and impacts the lives of our customers. Whether youâ€™re directly supporting a growing family, or developing online tools to help navigate a difficult loss, customers are counting on the combined talents of our entire team. Help us help others, and join Team Unum today!
This position is responsible for providing expert medical analysis of claims files (or underwriting applications) across Unum US product lines. The incumbent provides high quality, timely, and efficient medical consultative services to the Benefits Center. The Medical Consultant adheres to current regulatory, claim process, and internal workflow standards as set forth in the Benefits Center Claims Manual, underwriting manual, and associated documentation. The incumbent adheres to accepted norms of medical practices and Code of Conduct guidelines. Physicians and psychologists conduct their reviews and analyses within appropriate ethical standards and maintain their professional licenses and Board certifications. This role is expected to provide excellent customer service and to interact on a regular basis with business partners, health care providers, and other specialized resources.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- Provide timely, clear medical direction and opinions to team partners, with reasoned forensic analysis to support the medical opinions
- Partner/consult with fellow medical consultants when appropriate to ensure the completion of a whole person analysis
- Apply medical knowledge to determine functional capacity through assessment of medical and other data related to impairment, regarding accuracy of diagnoses, treatment plans, duration guidelines, and prognosis
- Provide relevant medical education and knowledge to others in terms appropriate and understandable to the intended audience
- Perform telephone contacts with the insuredâ€™s healthcare providers to gather medical information and to facilitate a better understanding of the claimant’s functional abilities
- Make timely and appropriate referrals for second opinion reviews when appropriate or required according to current guidelines and best practices
- Demonstrate ability to manage and complete high volumes of assigned work, maintain consistently good turnaround times, and operate with a sense of urgency
- Focus not only on individual workload, but on the team/group work volumes to ensure organizational success
- Receive feedback and follow through with appropriate behaviors/actions
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Professional Degree (MD, DO, PhD, PsyD)
- Active, unrestricted US medical license
- Board certification required for physicians in their area of specialty
- Minimum of five years of clinical experience in medical specialty
- Strong team and collaborative skills. Ability to work in a fast paced, team based, corporate environment
- Ability to mentor others and to give and receive constructive, behaviorally based feedback with peers and partners
Unum and Colonial Life are part of Unum Group, a Fortune 500 company and leading provider of employee benefits to companies worldwide. Headquartered in Chattanooga, TN, with international offices in Ireland, Poland and the UK, Unum also has significant operations in Portland, ME, and Baton Rouge, LA – plus over 35 US field offices. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, SC, with over 40 field offices nationwide.
The base salary range for applicants for this position is listed below. Unless actual salary is indicated above in the job description, actual pay will be based on skill, geographical location and experience.
Additionally, Unum offers a portfolio of benefits and rewards that are competitive and comprehensive including healthcare benefits (health, vision, dental), insurance benefits (short & long-term disability), performance-based incentive plans, paid time off, and a 401(k) retirement plan with an employer match up to 5% and an additional 4.5% contribution whether you contribute to the plan or not. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of individual Plans.