When you join the team at Unum, you become part of an organization committed to helping you thrive.
To Enable This, We Provide
Here, we work to provide the employee benefits and service solutions that enable employees at our client companies to thrive throughout lifeâ€™s moments. And this starts with ensuring that every one of our team members enjoys opportunities to succeed both professionally and personally.
- Award-winning culture
- Inclusion and diversity as a priority
- Performance Based Incentive Plans
- Competitive benefits package that includes: Health, Vision, Dental, Short & Long-Term Disability
- Generous PTO (including paid time to volunteer!)
- Up to 9.5% 401(k) employer contribution
- Mental health support
- Career advancement opportunities
- Student loan repayment options
- Tuition reimbursement
- Flexible work environments
- All the benefits listed above are subject to the terms of their individual Plans.
And thatâ€™s just the beginningâ€¦
With 10,000 employees helping more than 39 million people worldwide, every role at Unum is meaningful and impacts the lives of our customers. Whether youâ€™re directly supporting a growing family, or developing online tools to help navigate a difficult loss, customers are counting on the combined talents of our entire team. Help us help others, and join Team Unum today!
Internal Audit’s (IA) vision is to be a valued business partner and trusted assurance provider, sought out for our risk management expertise and forward-looking insights that strengthen business performance. We do this by striving to be an essential business advisor, leader in digital auditing, and one of the best places to work at Unum.
You will work individually and in teams to lead audits and projects. At this level, you contribute to audit objectives using audit and business experience, creativity, problem solving and critical thinking, decision making, and professional judgment.
By joining our team and leveraging your unique skills, you will make an immediate impact on our team and Unum and help achieve our shared vision.
You will thrive as a Consulting Auditor on the Internal Controls (SOX) team if you have skills in:
Problem Solving & Critical Thinking: You have a strong sense of curiosity, are energized by putting pieces together, and have a passion for learning. You analyze information and seek diverse perspectives to make informed decisions and empower others in finding creative solutions.
Plan Delivery: You are passionate about helping the team achieve its goals and consistently deliver timely, high-quality work, even under challenging circumstances. You translate complex or ambiguous processes into realistic and actionable plans. You maintain a focused, disciplined, and organized approach, and work with the team to overcome obstacles that could prevent audit delivery.
Influential Communication: You can read a room, and you know your audience. You’re an effective, inclusive, and succinct oral and written communicator who builds strong connections, actively listens, instills trust, influences, and aligns stakeholders. You approach interactions with empathy, a willingness to consider others’ opinions and concerns, and a goal of coming to an agreed solution or compromise through effective discussion.
Change Leadership: You’re a champion of change who is flexible, experimental, takes smart risks, innovates, and models change behavior. You are known for providing guidance and support to others involved in change efforts.
Data Analytics: You are excited about and use data to break through ambiguity, make better decisions, and tell a story. You use data analytics to answer questions, uncover insights, take initiative to expand your knowledge, and support others in developing their analytical skills.
Continuous Improvement: You continuously seek more efficient ways of working, identify improvement opportunities, take action to implement the right solutions, and youâ€™re proactive in coaching and mentoring others on their journey. You model and encourage adoption of new processes and technologies within the organization.
Optimistic Leadership: You know that â€œweâ€ is stronger than â€œme.â€ You build strong relationships on a foundation of trust and allow others to show up authentically by demonstrating inclusive, empathetic behavior (e.g., actively listening, seeking to understand). Leading by example, you focus on opportunities rather than setbacks and inspire others to creatively solve problems and work together.
Sarbanes Oxley Audit Expertise: You are familiar with the COSO internal control framework and the audit requirements of SOX. You can demonstrate proven experience with the assessment of both the design and operating effectiveness of internal controls over financial reporting.
In addition to the opportunities provided by Unum, IA invests in people by nurturing and developing talents and skills. In IA, you will have the opportunity to gain knowledge across multiple functional areas (e.g., finance, legal, IT, operations), hone your ability to navigate risk, and gain unique leadership and influencing experience. Our previous and current team members have found success:
Leveraging their knowledge and expertise to expand their skills as a Consulting Auditor, and by joining IAâ€™s different audit functions: US Business, Corporate, Internal Controls, IT, Data Science, or Transformation.
Advancing to a role with increased leadership responsibility, such as a Director.
Utilizing their skills in areas such as Finance, Law, Operations, Human Resources, or Information/Digital Technology.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- Serve as a subject matter expert for internal controls over financial reporting, COSO internal controls framework, risk management practices, and application of audit principles and practices to complete and review the work of others.
- Leverage advanced problem solving and critical thinking skills, along with strong attention to detail, and deep accounting and financial knowledge to provide reasonable assurance on the effectiveness of the internal controls over financial reporting in compliance with the Sarbanes Oxley Act (SOX).
- Coordinate and collaborate with team members, business partners, and external auditors, while balancing, organizing, and planning your work toward deadlines.
- Work independently and in teams to plan, organize, and lead multiple audit reviews and projects.
- Act as a mentor to develop, challenge, empower, and share knowledge with team members in IA to aid in defining and achieving individual development goals.
- Invest in building and nurturing relationships to collaborate with a broad range of business leaders responsible for Unumâ€™s financial reporting processes.
- Assess the impact of business changes and new processes on the control environment, informing the audit plan and scope.
- Coach the team in solving problems, managing ambiguity, adapting, and working through obstacles to meeting department performance goals (e.g., on time delivery of quality audits).
- Effectively communicate and guide the team through change and organizational transformation, which may include the use of new technologies, automation, data analytics, emergent skills, and adoption of new processes.
- Invest in ongoing learning (e.g., departmental trainings, professional learning opportunities, and certifications such as CPA, CFE, CIA, CISA) to deepen your skills, while also teaching and guiding others through their learning journey.
- Utilize audit management software (AuditBoard), data analysis and visualization tools (e.g., SQL, Microsoft Power BI, Tableau), and productivity software (Microsoft Office / Share Point) to effectively work and coach others to further develop technical expertise.
- Relevant four-year degree required. Degree in Accounting or Finance is preferred.
- Professional certification (e.g., CPA, CIA, CFE, CISA, CSOXP) preferred.
- 5+ yearsâ€™ work experience planning and conducting audits of internal controls over financial reporting (e.g., ICFR/SOX.) Experience in Insurance or Financial Services is preferred.
- Working knowledge of applicable regulatory requirements (SOX 302 / 404, US Statutory / Model Audit Rule, etc.)
- Advanced understanding of Committee of Sponsoring Organizations (COSO) and Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) control framework for Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) financial reporting.
- Effectively and independently prioritize and manage own projects simultaneously and provide direction on projects and prioritization to less experienced staff.
- Advanced problem solving, critical thinking skills, and demonstrated curiosity.
- Act on feedback from managers, provide feedback to team members, and solve problems in a collaborative way.
- Commit quickly and positively to change; promote and role model effective change behavior, including adoption of new processes and technologies; provide guidance and support to others involved in change efforts.
- Effective, inclusive, and succinct oral and written communicator who actively listens, builds strong connections, instills trust, influences, and aligns stakeholders.
- Successfully communicate complex information to diverse audiences, tailoring your communication style to the needs of your audience.
- Use data to provide comprehensive insights, enable better decision-making, and tell a story.
- Operate with a continuous improvement mindset, seeking more efficient ways of working, sharing knowledge, and encouraging others to pursue improvement opportunities.
- Build strong relationships on a foundation of trust, while inspiring others to creatively solve problems and work together.
- Excellent research and analytical skills and ability to articulate relationships and impacts between complex processes, internal and external issues, and broad risk trends and mentor others.
- Intermediate/Advanced Excel skills and proficient in Word and PowerPoint.
Unum and Colonial Life are part of Unum Group, a Fortune 500 company and leading provider of employee benefits to companies worldwide. Headquartered in Chattanooga, TN, with international offices in Ireland, Poland and the UK, Unum also has significant operations in Portland, ME, and Baton Rouge, LA – plus over 35 US field offices. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, SC, with over 40 field offices nationwide.
The base salary range for applicants for this position is listed below. Unless actual salary is indicated above in the job description, actual pay will be based on skill, geographical location and experience.
Additionally, Unum offers a portfolio of benefits and rewards that are competitive and comprehensive including healthcare benefits (health, vision, dental), insurance benefits (short & long-term disability), performance-based incentive plans, paid time off, and a 401(k) retirement plan with an employer match up to 5% and an additional 4.5% contribution whether you contribute to the plan or not. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of individual Plans.