Our Fortune 500 company is driving a digital transformation and looking for forward-thinking innovators to disrupt how our industry thinks about and uses technology. As one of the world’s leading employee benefits providers, we help millions of people gain affordable access to benefits that help them protect their families, their finances and their futures.
Are you an asker of questions, a solver of problems, and a challenger of the status quo? Our mission is to provide a differentiated customer experience and exceed the expectations people have of technology at any company â€” not just insurers
We are seeking individuals to join our team of talented IT professionals who share never-ending passion and an unwavering focus on our customer experience. Team members comfortable working in an agile, fast-paced, and delivery-focused environment thrive in our environment where we value an entrepreneurial spirit and those who challenge the status-quo.
Unum is changing, and weâ€™re excited about whatâ€™s next. Join us
Unum is looking for a self-starter to join the team as a Senior Business Analyst. In this role, you will solve complex business problems and implement creative solutions, ensuring the delivery of the defined business objectives within the agile team. You will participate in the advancement of business solutions across a business portfolio by working closely with IT Leadership, Product Owners, Business SMEâ€™s and Business Architects.
The Sr. Business Analyst plays a critical role in mentoring Business Analysts of all levels to ensure we are growing future talent within the agile teams. They will serve as a subject matter expert and have a deep understanding of the Unum business model â€“ both the products we sell and the services model we employ – and will bring forward areas where investment will bring benefit to our customers and the company.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree required, relevant professional qualification or acceptable industry experience.
- 3+ years successful experience in defining and delivering valuable solutions to our customers
- Prior experience as Business Analyst supporting Harmony and Gathr applications required.
- Intellectual curiosity, learning agility, and enthusiasm for tackling tough problems
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral. Comfortable leading groups of people in discussions
- Strong team player; able to work effectively within a team and more broadly with people from a variety of backgrounds and areas across the organization.
- Able to deal with significant ambiguity and translate into more tangible outcomes
- Strong insurance or relevant industry experience
- Proven track record of success with business delivery (software solutions)
- Demonstrates a metrics and financial mindset to ensure ROI for business
- Certifications strongly encouraged
Duties And Responsibilities
- Maintain holistic understanding of IT Delivery roadmap and track any changes to the roadmap are aligned in the backlog tooling enabling teams to leverage automated roadmaps and status report, metrics functionality
- Ensures that Product or adoption KPIs identified can feasibly be measured and tracked through the development and delivery activities, ensuring key data points are identified and included from the outset within the scope of the agile teamwork. Identify trends in supporting or cascading metrics that may impact the KPI up to the PO and leadership team
- Maintains holistic understanding of relevant client personas and uses these personas to refine work items to develop shared understand across the Agile Team of the client needs
- Ensure product backlog quality of work item descriptions are concise and effective represent user needs, with any sufficiently detailed, precise acceptance criteria to support testing and acceptance of the work. Ensure that key data points on the work items are in place to provide expected transparency. Responsible for the investigation and application of changes to program scope. Identifies the impact on business requirements of external impacts affecting a program or project.
- Elicit requirements using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, surveys, site visits, and task/process/workflow analysis selecting the appropriate means of representing the business requirement and ensuring traceability back to source.
- Industry Analysis of trends, technology and market advancements and demonstrated application into our context
- Partners with UX and builds knowledge of UX tools and techniques to incorporate persona needs into the product backlog and requirements
- Performs system and business process analysis and mapping leveraging enterprise toolset
- Maintain and model best practices on a set of tactical agile techniques in relation to work decomposition, planning, estimation, backlog tooling, status reporting
- Collaborates with the Business Architect, Product Owner, agile team and relevant subject matter experts to define concise and effective user stories from the capabilities roadmap also detailing precise and accurate acceptance criteria. This includes functional and non-functional requirements
- Collaborates with the Team (Architects, Software Engineers, Test Engineers, etc.) to ensure that the team understands the work item as defined in order to help them develop high quality features and solutions that meet or exceed what the Product Owner is expecting
- Ensure that product backlog work items e.g. user stories are meeting the definition of ready in line with enterprise targets on backlog readiness, often called planning horizons or planning intake funnel
- Ensure backlog work item decomposition is meeting enterprise standards with respect of quality of content and data integrity on key fields to drive transparency and effective reporting
- Models behaviors and practices to leverage and fully optimize methodology adoption outlined in product area. E.g. Customer Journey, Agile Methodologies, Program Execution Framework i.e. Program Ways of Working
- Collaborates with Business & Technical Architects to evaluate the business suitability of applications/solutions in support of the capabilities roadmap
- Evaluates native functionality from third party/cloud solutions and identifies opportunities to meet business needs including page layouts, workflows, reporting and dashboards
- Responsible for the investigation and application of changes to program scope. Identifies the impact on business requirements of external impacts affecting a program or project
- Mentors Business Analyst Iâ€™s and Business Analyst IIâ€™s to ensure appropriate business analyst standards and practices are met, where appropriate
- Responsible for assessing requests for change and their impacts on existing applications/solutions in the business portfolio and ensuring the changes are prioritized and assessed for risk appropriately.
- Collaborates with the agile team to ensure appropriate acceptance criteria is defined and met by participating in all test activities where necessary to ensure successful feature delivery.
- Ensures an innovation culture in the team by continuous improvement of deliveries and participates in evaluating new processes and technologies that can be applied to future feature delivery
- Participates in retrospectives to ensure the agile team continuously improves and ensures that value stream mapping is completed in order to remove waste in the process
- Collaborates with Chief Product Owner and Product Owner on prioritization and grooming of the capability backlog. Ensure that key information needed to support PO prioritization is current, accurate and available in a usable format to drive high quality decisions.
- May serve in a Scrum Master role for an agile team
- Ensures that the latest project progress is known to the agile team by ensuring Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) tools are up to date and participating in daily stand-ups outlining progress made, progress planned and detailing impediments
- Identifies data source, gathers and analyzes data relevant to processes identified for process improvement initiatives.
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best â€“ both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.
The base salary range for applicants for this position is listed below. Unless actual salary is indicated above in the job description, actual pay will be based on skill, geographical location and experience.
Additionally, Unum offers a portfolio of benefits and rewards that are competitive and comprehensive including healthcare benefits (health, vision, dental), insurance benefits (short & long-term disability), performance-based incentive plans, paid time off, and a 401(k) retirement plan with an employer match up to 5% and an additional 4.5% contribution whether you contribute to the plan or not. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of individual Plans.