To Enable This, We Provide
Here, we work to provide the employee benefits and service solutions that enable employees at our client companies to thrive throughout lifeâ€™s moments. And this starts with ensuring that every one of our team members enjoys opportunities to succeed both professionally and personally.
- Award-winning culture
- Inclusion and diversity as a priority
- Performance Based Incentive Plans
- Competitive benefits package that includes: Health, Vision, Dental, Short & Long-Term Disability
- Generous PTO (including paid time to volunteer!)
- Up to 9.5% 401(k) employer contribution
- Mental health support
- Career advancement opportunities
- Student loan repayment options
- Tuition reimbursement
- Flexible work environments
- All the benefits listed above are subject to the terms of their individual Plans.
And thatâ€™s just the beginningâ€¦
With 10,000 employees helping more than 39 million people worldwide, every role at Unum is meaningful and impacts the lives of our customers. Whether youâ€™re directly supporting a growing family, or developing online tools to help navigate a difficult loss, customers are counting on the combined talents of our entire team. Help us help others, and join Team Unum today!
The Accounting and Finance Development Program provides Associates with high visibility within the Finance organization, as well as numerous opportunities to develop their career. The objective of the program is to develop and grow the Associateâ€™s financial and business acumen, as well as the leadership skills necessary to prepare them for a Director role in the Finance organization upon successful completion of the Program.
Features of the Program
The program consists of 2-3 cross functional job rotations within the Finance organization, and occasionally in other business units. Job rotation assignments may vary from 12-24 months depending on the role, complexity, and business needs. Finance rotations may include, but are not limited to, Accounting, Financial & Regulatory Reporting, Planning, Risk, Tax, Internal Audit and Corporate Finance. Participants will be rigorously assessed after each cross functional rotation before moving onto the next phase of the program.
Learning and Development
This program includes a training and development component that occurs throughout the program. The training is focused on growing your business acumen, financial acumen, and leadership skills.
Participants will be assigned a leadership mentor for the duration of the program to support them in their individual professional growth through personalized development plans. Also, as an integral part of this Program, Associates will be expected to assume an active role in managing important aspects of the business related to their specific rotational assignment.
Associates are required to pursue and complete a relevant Accounting or Finance credential (CPA, CFA or CMA) prior to finishing the program. To support Associates on their credential path, the Accounting and Finance Development Program provides the Associates with paid study hours, exam materials, and exam registration fees.
The program is structured with three distinct levels that help guide associates on their path to Director. These levels are based on the associates experience, required competencies and progress toward credentials. The levels help the associates navigate their progress and provide three entry points into the program for candidates. The levels begin at Associate, our level I, entry level position in the program, this role, Sr. Associate level II and Manager level III. Please check out our Associate and Manager positions to decide which role best describes you. No matter where you enter the program there is no limit to the opportunities for you to learn and grow as a leader.
Principle Duties And Responsibilities
- Successfully complete 2-3 rotations (previous work experience prior to Unum may count as a rotation) as in various parts of the Finance organization and broader business units; outstanding work performance while in the assigned roles; demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with others; self-directed in completing high quality work within established timelines.
- Demonstrate commitment to career development and growing financial acumen by pursuing and achieving a relevant Finance credential (CPA or CFA).
- Participate in regular monthly/quarterly financial cycle.
- Prepare meaningful and complex financial reports for designated area.
- Demonstrate strong understanding of analysis by applying knowledge, anticipating issues, and demonstrating ownership of assigned tasks or processes. Leverage the analysis to make business recommendations.
- Continuous assessment of established training and work processes to identify and drive effectiveness and efficiency improvements. Contributes to operating effectiveness through information sharing, suggested process improvements and effective implementation of change.
- Maintain a strong and specialized working knowledge in assigned tasks and analysis of Unumâ€™s products, services and business processes including, his/her specific business area, the issues and technical skills required to support the area.
- Communicate issues identified, proactively recommend the most appropriate/effective resolutions and present effectively to management and officers
- Work on and/or lead special projects that require research and analysis. May involve partnering with other business areas to identify and resolve issues
- Serve as informal leader/mentor to more junior level peers.
- Bachelors degree in Accounting, Finance or other equivalent relevant specialty with minimum GPA requirement 3.0
- Must be CPA eligible and have passed at least 1 part of the CPA or Level 1 of the CFA exam
- 2 to 4+ years of accounting experience or equivalent relevant work experience
- Proven intent to pursue and achieve relevant Finance credential (CPA orCFA)
- Ability to link understanding of business processes, business drivers, and changes to other areas and financial results and trends
- Strong understanding of the components of multiple financial statements and how they interact with one another
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to lead and navigate change
- Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills; adept at handling group dynamics
- Highly motivated individual that is able to take independent actions to solve business issues with limited direction from managers
- Ability to prioritize work while working on multiple projects keeping track of and meeting due dates
- Intermediate Excel Skills
- Proficient in Word and PowerPoint
- General ledger systems and reporting tools experience preferred
- Meet the standards for this position, as defined in the Talent Management framework
- We seek highly motivated individuals with the intellectual curiosity to keep up with the fast pace, ever changing accounting environment. Our associates are inclusive leaders who are change agents in the work they do. They are self-starting individuals who enjoy collaboration, deliver innovative results, and possess effective communication skills
Unum and Colonial Life are part of Unum Group, a Fortune 500 company and leading provider of employee benefits to companies worldwide. Headquartered in Chattanooga, TN, with international offices in Ireland, Poland and the UK, Unum also has significant operations in Portland, ME, and Baton Rouge, LA – plus over 35 US field offices. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, SC, with over 40 field offices nationwide.
The base salary range for applicants for this position is listed below. Unless actual salary is indicated above in the job description, actual pay will be based on skill, geographical location and experience.
Additionally, Unum offers a portfolio of benefits and rewards that are competitive and comprehensive including healthcare benefits (health, vision, dental), insurance benefits (short & long-term disability), performance-based incentive plans, paid time off, and a 401(k) retirement plan with an employer match up to 5% and an additional 4.5% contribution whether you contribute to the plan or not. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of individual Plans.