When you join the team at Unum, you become part of an organization committed to helping you thrive.
To Enable This, We Provide
Here, we work to provide the employee benefits and service solutions that enable employees at our client companies to thrive throughout lifeâ€™s moments. And this starts with ensuring that every one of our team members enjoys opportunities to succeed both professionally and personally.
- Award-winning culture
- Inclusion and diversity as a priority
- Performance Based Incentive Plans
- Competitive benefits package that includes: Health, Vision, Dental, Short & Long-Term Disability
- Generous PTO (including paid time to volunteer!)
- Up to 9.5% 401(k) employer contribution
- Mental health support
- Career advancement opportunities
- Student loan repayment options
- Tuition reimbursement
- Flexible work environments
- All the benefits listed above are subject to the terms of their individual Plans.
And thatâ€™s just the beginningâ€¦
With 10,000 employees helping more than 39 million people worldwide, every role at Unum is meaningful and impacts the lives of our customers. Whether youâ€™re directly supporting a growing family, or developing online tools to help navigate a difficult loss, customers are counting on the combined talents of our entire team. Help us help others, and join Team Unum today!
Minimum starting base pay is $45,000
The Benefits Center Coordinator (BCC) role is accountable for managing a block of claims for payment, settlement, and/or triaging depending on area of specialty.
BCCs have responsibility for understanding the current situation with the claims and activities for which they are responsible. This will be done through file reviews; ongoing claimant contact and the review of medical and financial information to confirm ongoing liability and appropriate benefit payment as outlined in the policy.
BCCs are responsible for providing effective and efficient claim management practices while demonstrating strong customer service, productivity and documentation skills.
Fraud identification and prevention is also important for this role, therefore an understanding of the processes related to SIU and Field/Vendor services and appropriate utilization of those resources is expected.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- Developing skills to meet departmental standards pertaining to production, quality, timeliness and customer service are met
- Developing skills to accurately identify and management of those files appropriate for further investigation or referral to other areas within the department
- Effectively utilize specialty resources such as medical, vocational and legal to achieve optimum claims outcomes.
- Effectively manage a caseload of claims to the appropriate duration
- Responsible for being familiar with specialized workflow requirements and performance standards for any assigned customers.
- Developing decision rationale and current claim activities accurately and thoroughly; both verbally and in writing, to claimants, employers and other constituents.
- Provides excellent customer service by providing processing benefit payments on a timely basis and responding to all inquiries on a timely basis.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date activities for each assigned claim, and documents in a thorough, timely and accurate manner.
- Develops and maintains a good rapport with claimants, policyholders and field sales offices.
- Developing an ability to Communicates technical information to claimants, other external customers as appropriate and field personnel regarding financial matters, contractual provisions, benefit calculations and offsets and claim practices.
- Thorough and timely investigation, documentation and analysis of claim decisions.
- Efficient and fair claim management in a high-risk legal environment.
- Render claim related decisions in accordance with policies and procedures, quality and service standards with partnership and direction from management.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required
- Mathematical aptitude
- Detail oriented; able to analyze and research contract information
- Strong communication, verbal, written, and listening, as well as strong interpersonal skills
- Experience in working with internal and external customers
- Demonstrated critical thinking abilities
- Analytical and decision-making skills
- Ability to deal effectively with conflict in a professional manner
- Ability to negotiate
- Excellent customer service orientation
- Ability and commitment to work as an effective team member toward shared goals.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with an ability to balance production with independent decision-making
- Demonstrated success in meeting goals in demanding and dynamic work environments
- Demonstrated ability to act with sense of urgency and manage multiple demand
Unum and Colonial Life are part of Unum Group, a Fortune 500 company and leading provider of employee benefits to companies worldwide. Headquartered in Chattanooga, TN, with international offices in Ireland, Poland and the UK, Unum also has significant operations in Portland, ME, and Baton Rouge, LA – plus over 35 US field offices. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, SC, with over 40 field offices nationwide.
The base salary range for applicants for this position is listed below. Unless actual salary is indicated above in the job description, actual pay will be based on skill, geographical location and experience.
Additionally, Unum offers a portfolio of benefits and rewards that are competitive and comprehensive including healthcare benefits (health, vision, dental), insurance benefits (short & long-term disability), performance-based incentive plans, paid time off, and a 401(k) retirement plan with an employer match up to 5% and an additional 4.5% contribution whether you contribute to the plan or not. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of individual Plans.