Are you an asker of questions, a solver of problems, and a challenger of the status quo? Our mission is to provide a differentiated customer experience and exceed the expectations people have of technology at any company â€” not just insurers.
We are seeking individuals to join our team of talented IT professionals who share never-ending passion and an unwavering focus on our customer experience. Team members comfortable working in an agile, fast-paced, and delivery-focused environment thrive in our environment where we value an entrepreneurial spirit and those who challenge the status-quo.
Unum is changing, and weâ€™re excited about whatâ€™s next. Join us.
Business Analyst I â€“ Corporate Systems is responsible for working with the agile team and the Finance Product Owners to define and document requirements and acceptance criteria. They ensure the solutions delivered are of high quality by collaborating with their agile team members and by leveraging/using appropriate elicitation/documentation practices for the team. They are active team members who participate in the estimation of work required to deliver software features. An added focus for this role is an emphasis on supporting areas of Finance which require a comfort-level and interest in financial reporting and accounting practices. Other areas of interest are treasury and banking practices, modern payment technologies, tax, escheatment, and general ledger. It does not require expertise in these areas, but at least some education and exposure to these financial silos.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Maintain understanding of IT Delivery roadmap and track that any changes to the roadmap are aligned in the backlog
- Maintain a set of tools and skills to elicit client needs and requirements
- Determine and use the most appropriate means of representing business requirements in the context of a specific change initiative
- Ensure key data sources and attributes are identified and included within the scope of the agile teamâ€™s work
- Maintain understanding of relevant client personas and uses these personas to refine work items to develop shared understanding across the Agile Team. In essence, you need to be able to step into the userâ€™s position and understand the process.
- Ensure requirements with appropriate documentation are represented effectively in the product backlog
- Collaborates with the Team to ensure that the team defines, builds and produces features and solutions that meet or exceed what the Product Owner is expecting
- Collaborates with the Product owner and relevant subject matter experts to define concise and effective user stories with accurate acceptance criteria for a user story that will be used by the team and product owner to ensure that stakeholder and product owner intent is effectively captured and developed
- Ensure integrity of work items as they are broken down and refined throughout hierarchy of work items in the product backlog
- Review the acceptance criteria with the Team to ensure agreement on testability so the team can drive toward getting the right tests to support continuous integration
- Ensure that product backlog work items are meeting the definition of ready/done
- Ensure that key information needed to support prioritization is current, accurate and available in a usable format to drive high quality decisions.
- Engages in industry analysis of trends, technology, and market advancements
- Collaborates with the agile team during planning and interacts with the Scrum Master or Team Lead and product owner to agree sprint deliverables
- Develops a detailed knowledge of business processes for assigned business portfolios and has suggestions or ideas on how to improve
- Participates in evaluating native functionality from third party/cloud solutions and identifies opportunities to meet business needs
- Assists the agile team with internal test execution, inclusive of documenting results, managing and tracking defects, and trouble-shooting issues that arise out of testing
- Ensure that the latest project progress is known to the agile team and leadership team by ensuring tools are up to date and participating in daily stand-ups outlining progress made, progress planned and detailing impediments
- Bachelorâ€™s degree preferred, or equivalent experience
- High value placed on individuals with a strong financial background, course study, project roles or internships.
- Passionate about the business direction, priorities, results, and customer experience.
- Demonstrates good analytical abilities
- Takes a logical approach to problem solving and pays close attention to detail
- Takes an assertive and engaged approach about meeting with stakeholders to understand requirements
- Looking for someone who is naturally inquisitive and logical in nature â€“ a desire to understand everything about a process and activity and the ability to document that clearly
- Self-motivated, very organized and results oriented
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong team player; able to work effectively within a team and more broadly with people from a variety of backgrounds and areas across the organization.
- Looking for a professional who naturally engages others for information and networking in order to ensure success
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best â€“ both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.
The base salary range for applicants for this position is listed below. Unless actual salary is indicated above in the job description, actual pay will be based on skill, geographical location and experience.
Additionally, Unum offers a portfolio of benefits and rewards that are competitive and comprehensive including healthcare benefits (health, vision, dental), insurance benefits (short & long-term disability), performance-based incentive plans, paid time off, and a 401(k) retirement plan with an employer match up to 5% and an additional 4.5% contribution whether you contribute to the plan or not. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of individual Plans.