To Enable This, We Provide
Here, we work to provide the employee benefits and service solutions that enable employees at our client companies to thrive throughout lifeâ€™s moments. And this starts with ensuring that every one of our team members enjoys opportunities to succeed both professionally and personally.
- Award-winning culture
- Inclusion and diversity as a priority
- Performance Based Incentive Plans
- Competitive benefits package that includes: Health, Vision, Dental, Short & Long-Term Disability
- Generous PTO (including paid time to volunteer!)
- Up to 9.5% 401(k) employer contribution
- Mental health support
- Career advancement opportunities
- Student loan repayment options
- Tuition reimbursement
- Flexible work environments
- All the benefits listed above are subject to the terms of their individual Plans.
And thatâ€™s just the beginningâ€¦
With 10,000 employees helping more than 39 million people worldwide, every role at Unum is meaningful and impacts the lives of our customers. Whether youâ€™re directly supporting a growing family, or developing online tools to help navigate a difficult loss, customers are counting on the combined talents of our entire team. Help us help others, and join Team Unum today!
The Corporate Accounting team is hiring for an Accountant role. The accountant will be involved with the monthly accounting close process and innovation, transformation and modernization of the processes to bring better efficiencies to the work we do.
The position will provide accounting and financial analyses working individually or with others that serve to inform and ground business decisions. Responsibilities may include leadership and/or participation in the development of, implementation of, and adherence to accounting/financial procedures that will improve operations, consistency, controls, process efficiency, and effectiveness of the functional area.
The accountant in this role will collaborate with product line leaders, financial reporting, financial planning & analysis, broker compensation services and treasury. With this great collaboration and exposure to other areas in finance you’ll see your network grow! This role is a great springboard within the Corporate Accounting area and across the Unum enterprise.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- Responsible for basic to intermediate analysis and reporting of financial transactions in accordance with accounting standards.
- Prepares, records, analyzes, and reports accounting transactions and ensures the integrity of accounting records for completeness, accuracy and compliance with accepted accounting policies and principals
- Prepares and distributes periodic financial statements for various governmental and/or regulatory agencies
- Conducts research regarding the impact to financial statements of potential changes to accounting rules proposed by accounting standards setters
- Develops, implements, and communicates to management on new policies and processes to comply with newly issues accounting standards.
- Participate in regular monthly/quarterly financial cycle.
- Prepare, verify, reconcile, and balance accounts related to the specific financial area to maintain control and accuracy over accounting and reporting by identifying discrepancies and their cause and recommendations for corrective action.
- Prepare more complex accounting and financial analysis for designated area and routine reports for manager.
- Demonstrate understanding of analysis by applying knowledge and anticipating issues and demonstrate ownership of assigned tasks or processes.
- Make recommendations regarding the process of creating the assigned complex analytics as well as recommendations regarding the results of the analytics.
- Maintain various systems and data assets that support the specific financial areas (e.g. accounting, planning, and administrative systems). Assumes ownership of the data in the system or assets related to the assigned analysis.
- Partner with business areas to provide requested accounting/tax research, analysis, information, and data.
- Maintain a specialized working knowledge in assigned tasks and analysis of Unumâ€™s products, services and business processes including, his/her specific business area, the issues and technical skills required to support the area.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree required
- Must be CPA eligible or have an active plan to pursue
- 0-3 years of accounting experience
- Demonstrates some knowledge and/or a proven record of success in financial accounting, managerial accounting, taxation, and financial reporting systems including generally accepted accounting principles and current accounting policies and procedures.
- Basic understanding of the components of multiple financial statements and how they interact with one other
- Ability to respond quickly and positively to change.
- Developing customer service/teamwork skills within job area.
- Highly motivated individual able to take direction from managers and developing skills to solve problems with little guidance from managers.
- Ability to prioritize work while working on multiple projects keeping track of and meeting due dates.
- Demonstrate strong communication skills related to job.
- Basic to intermediate EXCEL Skills
- General ledger systems and reporting tools experience preferred
- Proficient in Word and PowerPoint
- Exhibit customer service skills in working with functional area team and other resources to complete assigned work.
Unum and Colonial Life are part of Unum Group, a Fortune 500 company and leading provider of employee benefits to companies worldwide. Headquartered in Chattanooga, TN, with international offices in Ireland, Poland and the UK, Unum also has significant operations in Portland, ME, and Baton Rouge, LA – plus over 35 US field offices. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, SC, with over 40 field offices nationwide.
The base salary range for applicants for this position is listed below. Unless actual salary is indicated above in the job description, actual pay will be based on skill, geographical location and experience.
Additionally, Unum offers a portfolio of benefits and rewards that are competitive and comprehensive including healthcare benefits (health, vision, dental), insurance benefits (short & long-term disability), performance-based incentive plans, paid time off, and a 401(k) retirement plan with an employer match up to 5% and an additional 4.5% contribution whether you contribute to the plan or not. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of individual Plans.