University of Southern California
actively support the discovery, creation, and preservation of knowledge. We develop collections and services that support and encourage the academic endeavors of faculty, students, and staff; build a community of critical consumers of information; and help develop engaged world citizens. Through these means, we contribute to the continued success of the University of Southern California. The USC Libraries includes the Doheny Memorial Library and fourteen specialized libraries with an operating budget of approximately $41 million. Library collections encompass over 4.2 million volumes, 5.9 million microforms, 3.1 million images, 49,300 linear feet of manuscripts and archives, with access to over 113,800 serials in print and electronic formats, over 1,650 datasets, and nearly 1.3 million e-books. For more information, visit libraries.usc.edu.
We are seeking an experienced
to provide overall management of the Continuations section within the Technical Services & Collection Development department. This position will manage the administrative and financial operations for serials and the supervision of Senior Library Assistants. Has responsibility for long-range planning; developing, implementing, measuring and assessing library systems, policies and procedures; supervising full-time staff; and developing budgets. Reports directly to the Head, E-Resources & Continuations (currently vacant). Serves as principal senior staff advisor to the Head concerning all administrative, personnel, and financial matters.
The annual base salary range for this position is $91,069.72 -$101,322.00. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidateâ€™s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Responsibilities And Duties
Library Manager will:
- Manage day-to-day administrative and operational functions of the Continuations section. Has responsibility for long-range planning; developing, implementing and assessing library systems; and over seeing quality control measures. Researches problem issues and takes necessary action to address and bring to an appropriate resolution
- Directly supervises at least two full-time staff or the equivalent. Recruits, screens, hires and trains staff. Sets attainable and measurable goals with clear deadlines. Evaluates employee performance and provides feedback. Recommends professional development opportunities and developmental objectives as appropriate. Identifies and reports staffing needs to library administrative head
- Develops and implements library procedures in coordination with other managers. Revises processes to improve efficiency. Analyzes and maps workflows. Communicates and documents revised processes and procedures. Oversees the development of forms, manuals, flow charts, process maps, web content, etc.
- Develops and manages budgets. Authorizes expenditures. Analyzes actual versus budget performance to determine variances. Develops financial status reports, as needed. Directs ongoing purchasing activity
- Oversees the gathering of library statistics, measurements, and feedback. Prepares reports, interprets data, analyzes trends, and communicates recommendations.
- Serves as central information library resource for the University and for the purpose of external relations. Represents the library in core, division, and University committees and task forces. Acts as liaison between Head and sensitive, confidential, or high profile contacts outside the library. Establishes and maintains appropriate network of professional contacts. Maintains currency with professional organizations and publications
- Develops and implements library policies in coordination with other managers. Maintains current revisions of library, division, and University policies. Interprets and explains policies to others
- Advises library teams, committees, and task forces about the implementation of operational and/or organizational changes. Coordinates documentation, communicates through memorandums and presentations, and facilitates feedback, etc.
- Oversees maintenance of confidential files. Ensures completeness and accuracy of the documentation. Oversees coordination and distribution of confidential materials
- Oversees quality control measures for library databases. Develops strategic goals and process improvements. Enforces stipulated institutional standards in the creation and modification of records.
- Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree, combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
- Minimum Experience: 5 Years or Combined education/experience as substitute for minimum experience.
- Minimum Field of Expertise: Experience in and comprehensive knowledge of library operations. Knowledge of computers and information retrieval systems. Supervisory ability. Knowledge of preservation of materials and related equipment usage.
What We Prefer
- Preferred Education: Bachelorâ€™s degree
- Preferred Experience: 7 Years
- Preferred Field of Expertise: Experience in supervising administrative operations of a complex department. Knowledge of library operations, services and technical systems. Experience in using ExLibris Alma, Harrassowitz Fokus, GOBI, and LibAnswers.
USC has excellent benefits, including health benefits for employees and their families with access to the renowned university medical networkÍ¾ eligibility for retirement plansÍ¾ tuition assistance after 2 years of employmentÍ¾ access to professional development opportunitiesÍ¾ central Los Angeles location with easy access to commuter trains, buses, and tram pick up services at no charge to employeesÍ¾ discounts to a wide variety of cultural, sporting, and other campus events.
As part of the application, candidates must upload one document file (Word or PDF) that contains the following: 1) a cover letter, 2) Resume (including telephone and e-mail address).
USC is an equal-opportunity educator and employer, proudly pluralistic and firmly committed to providing equal opportunity for outstanding persons of every race, gender, creed and background. The university particularly encourages members of underrepresented groups, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply. USC will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship. Further information is available by contacting
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education Minimum Experience: 5 years, Combined education/experience as substitute for minimum experience Minimum Field of Expertise: Experience in supervising administrative operations of a complex department. Knowledge of library operations, services and technical systems.