University of Southern California
Please review the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Plan page for more details regarding your rights and obligations as a job candidate.
USC Auxiliary Services
, one of the largest divisions at The University of Southern California, is focused on making a difference for over 65,000 students, athletes, faculty, staff, and guests who visit our campuses each day. Through our innovative services, our six central business units (USC Bookstores, USC Hospitality, USC Housing, USC Transportation, the USC Hotel and the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum) collectively create the best USC experience for future leaders, scientists, filmmakers, engineers, and doctors alike. Auxiliary Services works tirelessly to welcome all visitors into the Trojan family. We are driven to succeed by our commitment to uphold our six unifying values in
Integrity, Excellence, Well-Being, Open Communication, Accountability, and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
In the ever-expanding city of Los Angeles, Trojans need reliable and convenient transportation options.
has risen to meet that need, operating parking structures, busses, student-run Campus Cruisers and a fuel station. To meet the unique needs of each Trojan, Transportation also coordinates with numerous taxi companies and rental car agencies to provide a vast source of transit options. A division of USC Auxiliary Services, Transportation is always looking for new ways to make USC safer and more convenient for students, athletes, faculty, staff, and visitors.
We are seeking to build a pool of candidates for future
Gate Service Ambassador
to join our rapidly growing team.
T he Gate Service Ambassador will be the first point of contact for our students, faculty, staff, parents, and guests. As a gate attendant for the Transportation team, you will take pride in providing the best customer service and maintaining the Universityâ€™s high standards for excellence. Our team keeps the work environment positive and friendly, so that we can always greet our guests with a smile. If you enjoy interacting with and helping guests, join us today!
- Train, schedule, assign and prioritize workloads to Gate Ambassadors and oversee daily operations as directed by department manager. May open and close department. Ensures that department is neat and orderly. Conduct shift briefings and provides instructions. Prepares tools, resources, roll call sheet, gate assignments and accountability of staff. Ensures all staff is in proper uniform and follows USC Transportation dress code guidelines and employees clock in and out on time and follow proper meal/rest period policies.
- Provide customer service to students, faculty, staff and external customers. Meet customer needs, offers options, resolve problems and follow up with customers. Ensure full customer satisfaction without necessarily referring customer to other staff members. Maintains friendly, helpful demeanor.
- Provide information regarding policies and procedures, terms and programs relating to service area for students, parents, faculty, administrators, staff and outside customers.
- Identify and prioritize problems and issues related to service area. Perform research, offers solutions, options and strategies. Refers to appropriate person or department as needed, and/or arranges for service. Gathers data as necessary for related offices such as Financial Aid, Admissions, Student Conduct and student issues using the University Information Systems. Tracks problem status until resolution is achieved. Maintains close contact with customer to give updates on progress toward resolution of issue or service request.
- Use information systems to input data, maintains databases, performs research for projects or issues, generates reports, etc.
- Study and maintain currency with all applicable policies and procedures, contracts, and related legal issues.
- Interpret terms and conditions of contracts, authorizes change/exceptions to contract terms, generates contracts or forms for distribution.
- Processes applications, releases, cancellations, adjustments, changes, requests, fees, invoices and other related paperwork. Maintains quality/quantity standards. Verifies contracts or forms for completeness and accuracy of information. Updates and maintains all necessary records and/or logs.
- Represent department to students, parents, faculty, administrators, staff and other outside customers. May act as representative for department at internal committee meetings such as Customer Service Planning Group. Make formal presentations as assigned.
- Train, schedule, assign and prioritize workloads. Interprets operating policies and procedures. Ensures timely completion of departmentâ€™s work. May lead student workers.
- Complies and updates payroll and personnel information for department staff. Ensures data entry deadlines set by University personnel system and Auxiliary Services payroll department are met.
- Notify appropriate personnel in the event of an emergency. Maintain complete and accurate records of all student- or staff-related safety incidents.
- Provide services including processing and delivery of mail and packages, e.g. UPS, Federal Express, Airborne and U.S. Post Office. Receives key deposits and issues keys and/or maintains and balances a cash drawer on a daily basis. Assist in set up and scheduling of special events/promotions and equipment rental. Responsible for 24-hour pager coverage during holidays and weekends.
- Compose memos and letters based on knowledge of departmental and University policies and procedures. Compiles statistical reports and studies as requested.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
- Education: High School Diploma; Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
- Experience: 1 year
- Experience in a fast-paced customer service environment
- Cash handling experience
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- Ability to communicate effectively in English
- Presents oneself professionally, in line with higher education environment
Valid CA driver’s license required. Position will participate in the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Pull Notice System. A copy of DMV record will be required as a final condition of employment. For more information please visit the
What We Prefer
- Bachelorâ€™s Degree
- 2 years of experience of relevant customer service experience
- Experience in a fast-paced retail environment
The Trojan Family Rewards
We pride ourselves in creating the
BEST USC EXPERIENCE
, and that begins with our employees! We offer a wide variety of benefits and programs that support our staff and their families. For more information please visit http://benefits.usc.edu .
This support advocates work-life balance and employee well-being. As members of the Trojan family, employees are connected by the traditions and history that make us proud to be Trojans!
As an equal opportunity employer, USC values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace. The work culture thrives on mutual respect, trust and synergy amongst all of its members.
USC has great minds that transform the world with their talents and research. Will you be one? Join us!
The hourly rate range for this position is $17.25 – $19.50. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidateâ€™s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Minimum Education: High school or equivalent, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education Minimum Experience: 1 year, Combined education/experience as substitute for minimum experience Minimum Field of Expertise: Customer service