University of Southern California
Digital Media & Visual Design Specialist
USC Rossier School of Education
Office of Professional Development
University Park Campus
Supports the production of staff and faculty communications in print and digital media. Combines applications of foundational instructional design principles and accessibility guidelines to develop clear and compelling deliverables that empower users to easily comprehend information. Executes the university vision and champions its culture and values.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Creates engaging, visually cohesive and professional designs (e.g., infographics, instructional aids) tailored to platform formats and target audiences. Presents conceptual designs for learner and/or faculty-facing content aligned with university brand guidelines. Develops production templates to expedite content creation. Provides design direction to project teams as requested. Maintains open lines of communication with internal/external stakeholders to identify and support continuous improvement opportunities enabling program success.
- Collaborates with varied stakeholders to develop communications materials.
- Develops content production schedules in coordination with communications plans. Builds and maintains relationships with project teams. Guides stakeholders through the design process and provides timely follow-up and feedback. Engages an iterative process with project teams that involves revisions until goals are achieved. Interprets and applies requirements and technical limitations.
- Develops content given fixed requirements, incorporates feedback, and makes principle- based decisions. Reviews and proofs all production material for a variety of program types to ensure error-free final deliverables. Anticipates and adapts to rapid changes in production schedules or program requirements. Maintains currency with industry standards, best practices and emerging technology. Proactively experiments with new design and prototyping tools
- Adheres to university visual identity when creating designs incorporating official graphics. Contributes to an inclusive environment, building and maintaining strong cross-functional relationships and a deep understanding of organizational and university cultures. Upholds the principles of the USC Code of Ethics.
- Demonstrates alignment to strategic plans of the organization, department, and university through words, actions and ideas.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
: Bachelorâ€™s degree in communications, graphic design, instructional design, or other relevant fields.
: Five yearsâ€™ experience in higher education marketing, communications, instructional design, customer/user experience, and/or graphic design.
: Foundational instructional design for learning management systems (e.g., Desire to Learn, D2L).
: Customer relationship management (CRM)/social media analytic tools, monitoring trends and results. Demonstrated analytical and data-driven mindset for extracting insights from metrics.
: Systemic and graphic design, interactivity, layout, typography, color theory, and illustration. Proficiency with infographic development and data visualization techniques. Experience in design based on Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG). Familiarity with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance requirements.
: Project management, problem-solving and organizational skills, able to effectively manage numerous priorities, deadlines and necessary resources simultaneously and in a timely manner.
Excellent written and oral communication skills, able to produce quality copy on tight schedules. Ability to independently make discreet, informed decisions regarding confidential information. Knowledge of applicable journalism and communications practices and standards.
: Excellent interpersonal skills, able to work in diverse, cross-functional teams and collaborate strategically across departments. Ability to effectively communicate with senior leaders.
: Adobe Creative Cloud (e.g., Photoshop, I nDesign, Illustrator) and other design collaboration and prototyping tools (e.g., Sketch, Figma, Miro). Experience with video capture/editing technologies and video social platforms (e.g., After Effects, YouTube, Vimeo). Mastery of Microsoft Office and Google Suite. Experience with higher education customer relationship management (CRM) systems (e.g., Slate).
: Masterâ€™s degree or higher in Marketing or a related field.
: USCâ€™s Student Information Systems (SIS) software.
The annual base salary range for this position is $85,160.00.00 – $101,369.00 . When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidateâ€™s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations .
Applications should be submitted via usccarreers.usc.edu and should include the following:
- A cover letter ( Our system will allow you to add additional documentation by clicking the â€œuploadâ€ button in the same section where you attach your resume.)
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree Communication Or Bachelor’s degree Graphic Design Or Bachelor’s degree Studio Art Or Bachelor’s degree in related field(s) Minimum Experience: 5 years of experience in marketing, communications and graphic design. Minimum Skills: Proven experience in systemic and graphic design, interactivity, layout, typography, color theory, and illustration. Proficiency with infographic development and data visualization techniques. Experience with media/social media analytic tools, monitoring trends and results. Demonstrated project management, problem-solving and organizational skills, able to effectively manage numerous priorities, deadlines and necessary resources simultaneously and in a timely manner. Excellent written and oral communication skills, able to produce quality copy on tight schedules. Demonstrated analytical and data-driven mindset for extracting insights from metrics. Ability to independently make discreet, informed decisions regarding confidential information. Excellent interpersonal skills, able to work in diverse, cross-functional teams and collaborate strategically across departments. Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud (e.g. Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) and other design collaboration and prototyping tools (e.g., Sketch, Figma). Experience with video capture/editing technologies and video social platforms (e.g., YouTube). Proficiency with Microsoft Office.