University of Southern California
Research Partnership & Business Development
with an exceptional commitment to service excellence to join its team. As the Manager of Research Partnership & Business Development, you will be an integral member of the USC Center for Advanced Research Computing, collaborating with diverse and talented team members to help solve multidimensional information technology problems, improve customer experience, and generate value for our campus stakeholders across a broad base of departments and constituencies.
ITS has embarked on a major digital transformation initiative to continually improve services for faculty, staff, and students in support of USCâ€™s ascent as a leading institution of higher education. The ITS vision aligns strategy, business, and services; affirms ITS cultural values; empowers cross-functional teamwork; embraces world-class best practices; and promotes innovation, excellence, agility, and efficiency. To achieve this vision, ITS is committed to providing a modern technology infrastructure that is resilient and delivers the performance necessary to meet the demands of a growing customer base, training in the latest technologies for its highly productive and motivated workforce, outstanding customer experience, and technology services that are aligned with the universityâ€™s mission to provide exceptional learning opportunities for students. ITS is creating a workplace where employees can develop cutting-edge skills, take pride in the services they provide, and have access to the roles and career paths that align with their abilities and potential. We are looking for top talent to join us on our journey.
USCâ€™s ITS organization represents a diverse and talented team, committed to supporting a collaborative culture and delivering secure and innovative IT services, core to the mission of USC. ITS values accountability, excellence, and commitment to exceptional customer experience. ITS strives for a supportive and inclusive culture that encourages employees to do their best work every day and where individuals are recognized and celebrated for their contributions.
USC is the leading private research university in Los Angelesâ€”a global center for arts, technology, and international business. With more than 47,500 students, we are located primarily in Los Angeles but also in various US and global satellite locations. As the largest private employer in Los Angeles, responsible for $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic and professional schools and administrative units. As a USC employee and member of the Trojan Familyâ€”the faculty, staff, students, and alumni who make USC a great place to workâ€”you will enjoy excellent benefits, including a variety of well-being programs designed to help individuals achieve work-life balance.
The candidate for the position of Manager of Research Partnership & Business Development must meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelorâ€™s degree from an accredited college or university
- Four years of experience in one of the following fields: project management, budgeting, communications, and strategic planning.
- Demonstrated knowledge in IT operations and administration and/or business development in an academic environment
- Ability to provide operational oversight of medium to large-scale IT research and business development operations, including fiscal/budget planning, research support, and business relationship management.
- Familiarity with academic research lifecycle and federal funding administration
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, interpret, and communicate institutional and federal funding agencies’ policies, procedures, rules, and regulations
- Articulate a long-term vision, operate â€Žon a strategic level and be politically aware of the requirements and motivations of faculty, â€Žstudents, customers, and vendors
- Grant writing experience and familiarity with foundation, corporate, and/or government grant-seeking processes.
- Ability to develop and manage a high-performing team in a collaborative, inclusive, and diverse environment
- Develop and manage collaborative partnerships with various academic units at the university.
- Strong communication skills to develop clear proposals, inform management, and relay information to cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated excellence in written and verbal â€Žcommunication, collaboration, and team-building â€Žskillsâ€Ž
The ideal candidate for the position of Manager of Research Partnership & Business Development has the following qualifications:
- Advanced degree in relevant fields.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Six or more years of experience in one of the following fields: project management, budgeting communications, and strategic planning.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage industry partnerships.
- Experience developing and executing marketing strategies.
- Knowledge in academic research computing programs and related federally funded programs such as XSEDE/ACCESS, Leadership Computing Facilities, etc.
- Able to work well independently and as a member of a team; able to work collaboratively and thrive in a flexible, evolving environment, adapt to situations, and manage change effectively.
- Knowledge of Contracts and Grants policies, operations, procedures, and interface/software.
- Experience designing and implementing procedures, services and systems to enhance research administration.
THE WORK YOU WILL DO
Manager of Research Partnership and Business Development
works with other USC schools, business units, and other academic support organizations and develops business opportunities and strategic plans, both short and long-range, to support the mission of CARC. You will build and maintain strong relationships with administrators, faculty, and staff in schools and research centers to appropriately match the interests and needs of the USC research community with the resources and services of the Center for Advanced Research Computing (CARC). You will work with appropriate stakeholders and leads the planning, development, and delivery of innovative strategies, effective solutions, and efficient operational processes.
Research Partnership & Business Development Manager
- Builds relationships with schools, business units, and other academic support organizations to promote CARCâ€™s campus-wide services, user support, education, and training as well as to improve alignment and communication.
- Researches and provides analysis of business opportunities and strategic plans, both short and long-range, to support the revenue objectives of CARC.
- Develops strong partnerships with USC faculty and research units for possible collaboration on proposal development for external funding opportunities.
- Administers contracts and grants of CARC. Works with university grant & contract administrators and agency representatives to collect information, resolve questions or problems, and coordinate on-site visits.
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with administrators, faculty, and staff in schools and research centers to appropriately match the interests and needs of the USC research community with the resources and services of CARC.
- Provides analysis and recommendations for the financial growth of the CARCâ€™s account. Collaborates closely with key departmental and University funding bodies and corporate partners to achieve financial objectives.
- Works with appropriate stakeholders and leads the planning, development, and delivery of innovative strategies, effective solutions, and efficient operational processes.
- Collaborates with internal and external partners on strategy implementation. Maintains a close awareness throughout all phases of the implementation to ensure a successful outcome.
- Regularly prepares and presents business analysis and reviews to senior management.
- Plans and coordinates special events, conferences, and seminars. Develops promotional materials (e.g., brochures, flyers).
- Maintains relationships by reaching out to community partners and referral sources regularly. Delivers powerful and engaging presentations. Communicates effectively to senior stakeholders at partners and potential partners. Maintains the highest standards of customer service.
- Adheres to the requirements of accrediting, federal, and state agencies as well as the policies and procedures of the University.
- Contributes to an inclusive environment that values differences by building and maintaining collaborative relationships with team members, peers, and ITS leaders. Actively embodies ITS values and behaviors including accountability, ethics, and best-in-class customer service. Contributes to a culture of trust and transparency by sharing information broadly, openly, and deliberately.
- Supports the vision for Advanced Research Computing. Works closely with team members and management to implement and support effective solutions for CARC. Maintains currency with technology, standards, and best practices. Supports process improvement efforts within the team and across ITS.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
This position’s annual base salary range is $110,000 to $120,000. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidateâ€™s work experience, education/training, critical skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Come join the ITS team and work as a trusted partner in shaping an environment of innovation and excellence for the university.
Minimum Education: Bachelorâ€™s degree Minimum Experience: 5 years Minimum Field of Expertise: Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Information Technology, or a related field. Experience delivering complex technological solutions in a project management environment. Broad-based knowledge of and experience with information technology. Experience in all stages of project lifecycle (e.g., business case development, status reports, final delivery). Excellent written and oral communication skills and experience working with and forming meaningful relationships with technical and non-technical workers.