Respiratory Therapist CRT/RRT
Fulltime Day shift – will work three 12 hour shifts – every other weekend rotation
Posted: March 24, 2023
We are currently offering a SIGN-ON BONUS for all full-time Respiratory Therapist positions! The amount of the sign-on bonus is based on experience. Don’t miss out – apply today!
$12,000 bonus for 0-1 year of experience with a 2 year commitment to UPMC
$15,000 bonus for 1+ year of experience with a 2 year commitment to UPMC
Hiring rate will be based on CRT or RRT level and experience.
Administers Respiratory Care Services to patients via Medical Staff approved techniques and procedures and with the rules of Respiratory Care services. Cleans, repairs, and services Respiratory Care equipment and performs other related work.
- Responsible for operating, maintenance, calibration, and performance of blood gas analyzers.
- Performs blood gas analysis.Performs postural drainage and chest physiotherapy to improve pulmonary toiletry and mobilize secretions.
- Demonstrates knowledge and ability to adapt to clinical treatment and instructional aspect of care to all stages of the life cycle and to various states of health and disease.
- Administers bedside pulmonary function tests.
- Keeps up to date with current trends and developments. Maintains working knowledge of Department procedure manuals. Employee complies with established occupational exposure policies. Participates in inservice training programs to improve respiratory practice. Reviews updated policies in a timely fashion.
- Prepares and maintains required reports and patient records.
- Administers aerosols for the purpose of sputum induction.
- Efficiently employs available equipment and supplies giving due care to their use and maintenance.
- Performs arterial puncture using both the radial and brachial arteries (may use femoral artery with a doctor’s order). Performs capillary punctures on newborn infants and small children using either heel or finger sticks.
- Does work rotating shifts as need arises.Available for staffing adjustments to help ensure sufficient number of qualified staff are available to meet patient needs and respond to unusual occurrences and/or increased patient acuity.
- Responsible for completing all competency testing within 45 days following the annual publishing date of the criteria. The CRT is responsible to schedule with the RRT the date(s) to complete the competency review and testing.
- Administers IPPV, IPPB, aerosol, nebulizer, and incentive spirometry treatments. (All of the above contain drugs except incentive spirometry.)
- Maintains an adequate level of laboratory supplies in the Blood Gas Laboratory.
- Initiates and maintains mechanical pulmonary ventilation equipment in the ED, Nursery and ICU settings
Administers medical gases utilizing the following equipment: cannula, tent, croupette, mask, aerosol mask, HFNC and trach collar.
Education and Formal Training Required: In accordance with Act 60, State Board of Medicine, and State Board of Osteopathic Medicine, must provide the Hospital with a copy of his/her current temporary practice permit or current certificate to practice in the Commonwealth as a Respiratory Care Practitioner. In addition, must be a graduate of an AMA accredited school for respiratory therapy and successfully completed the NBRC Certification Exam.Experience Required: None.Specific Abilities:1.Works under the general supervision of the Advanced Respiratory Therapist/Clinical Coordinator and Administrative Director of Respiratory Care. 2.Performs regular functions without direct supervision.3.Consults the Advanced Respiratory Therapist/Clinical Coordinator, Administrative Director, and Medical Director as required.
Licensure, Certifications, And Clearances
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hireMust complete Neonatal Resuscitation Program within one year of Hire Date. Must obtain RRT within 1 year of hire or transfer.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Certified Respiratory Therapy Technician (CRTT)
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP)
- Osteopathic Respiratory Care OR Respiratory Care Practitioners (RCP)
- Act 33 with renewal
- Act 34 with renewal
- Act 73 FBI Clearance with renewal
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
COVID-19 Vaccination Information
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMCâ€™s COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the COVID-19 Vaccination Information section at the top of this page to learn more.
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMCâ€™s Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life â€” because we believe that youâ€™re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, weâ€™re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.