UPMC Williamsport has an opening for a Limited Part-Time Days with Rotation Patient Care Technician on the Total Joint & Spine Unit. This position will work 12 hours per week/24 hours per pay period.
Final candidates will be selected for a job title within the career ladder that reflects level of education, experience and manager discretion at time of offer.**
The Patient Care Technician Senior provides routine patient care and supports the department services in accordance with established policies and procedures, and as may be directed by the nurse or physician to assure that the highest degree of quality patient care can be maintained at all times. Completes senior patient care duties after successfully completing training and annual competencies. Must routinely perform the UPMC core nursing assistant responsibilities including ADLs (bathing, feeding, transporting, toileting, ambulating, turning and repositioning patients. PLUS point of care testing (inc. blood glucose), weights, vital signs, I&O, telemetry monitor application/reapplication, HAC & PSI prevention (TEDs/SCDs). In addition, must perform simple dressings, placement and removal of restraints, bladder scan, all specimen collections, peripheral IV catheter removal, and indwelling Foley catheter removal, phlebotomy/venipuncture, and ticket to ride. All standard competencies must be achieved. In addition to the standard required competencies, the Patient Care Technician – Senior will achieve and maintain competency and/or perform at least 1 or more of the following advanced skills based on department operational need: basic arrythmia, complex wound care, 12 lead EKG, and NG tubes clamping and removal.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with all members of the health care team. Demonstrate understanding of cultural diversity, horizontal violence and impairment in the health professions. Cares for patients and self by supporting safety in the workplace. Develops and maintains productive working relationships internally and externally by demonstrating accountability for actions, enthusiasm, motivation, and commitment to patients and colleagues.
- Assures equipment malfunctions are reported to the appropriate department. Establishes appropriate and effective communication with other departments. Establishes professional and respectful interpersonal relationships. Contributes to the universal unit activities including, but not limited to, responding to call lights and telephones, passing meal trays and transporting patients.
- Must routinely perform the UPMC core nursing assistant responsibilities including ADLs (bathing, feeding, transporting, toileting, ambulating, turning and repositioning patients. PLUS point of care testing (inc. blood glucose), weights, vital signs, I&O, telemetry monitor application/reapplication, HAC & PSI prevention (TEDs/SCDs). In addition, must perform simple dressings, placement and removal of restraints, bladder scan, all specimen collections, peripheral IV catheter removal, indwelling Foley catheter removal phlebotomy/venipuncture, and ticket to ride. All standard competencies must be achieved.
- Assists with physical, respiratory, and cardiopulmonary therapies. Provides feedback to the RN regarding patient care and reports changes in patient status. Provides instruction to patients and their families under the direction of the RN. May apply, monitor and remove patient restraints as per physician or hospital protocol.
- Constructively receives feedback and direction. Identifies and communicates learning needs to the unit director. Takes action to improve knowledge, skills and performance. Request’s assistance in planning and prioritizing activities as needed. Participates in self-review as requested by the unit director. Participates in project and committee work.
- Suggests and supports changes within the department. Assumes responsibility for assignment and views problems as challenges. Demonstrates awareness of behavior on the efficient functioning of the department. Supports department-based projects and quality initiatives. Strictly adheres to all policies and procedures relative to patient care and hospital related information. Complies with safety policies and procedures including standard precautions. Documents in the medical record according to established procedures. Performs assigned work in a timely and productive manner. Transports cardiac monitored patients within the hospital setting. Completes department clerical functions as needed.
- *Performs in accordance with system-wide competencies/behaviors.
- *Performs other duties as assigned.
In addition to the standard required competencies, the Patient Care Technician – Senior will achieve and maintain competency and/or perform at least 1 or more of the following advanced skills based on department operational need: basic arrythmia, complex wound care, 12 lead EKG, and NG tubes clamping and removal.
Successful completion of basic information system training. Microcomputer experience preferred. Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing. Nursing Student that has completed one clinical rotation preferred Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Paramedic or currently enrolled in an EMT or Paramedic program preferred. Successful completion of a basic arrhythmia course and annual competency required. May, in the course of their duties, be in rooms where medications are stored or may transport medications when they transport patients. Transportation of medication is limited from one department to another.
Licensure, Certifications, And Clearances
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire ACLS preferred.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Act 34
- High school diploma or equivalent.
2 years of healthcare experience and meet requirements of Patient Care Technician title OR 1 year of healthcare experience and enrollment in a nursing program with completion of at least one clinical rotation required
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
COVID-19 Vaccination Information
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMCâ€™s COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the COVID-19 Vaccination Information section at the top of this page to learn more.
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMCâ€™s Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life â€” because we believe that youâ€™re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, weâ€™re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.