The UPMC East and UPMC McKeesport Director of Organizational Development, Nursing Education, and Research is a regional position covering two community hospitals. UPMC East is a new, state-of-the art hospital serving the East suburbs of Pittsburgh, PA. Since the hospital has opened, it has already expanded in the Emergency Department and Surgical Services care environments. UPMC McKeesport is a well-established hospital with over 120 years of service to the surrounding community. Many sub-specialty departments are a part of the hospital, including behavioral health, addiction medicine, and rehabilitation. The position leads the nursing education team with heavy focus on continuous education for patient care associates, new hire orientation and onboarding, and pursuit of magnet/pathways to excellence status. The Director will collaborate with other education leaders across UPMCâ€™s 40 hospital system, with focus on standardization, evidence based practice, and models of change. Partnership with local high school academic programs and schools of nursing will be an additional opportunity and priority for the leader.
This position is responsible for the planning, implementation, and evaluation of all Nursing Staff Development educational programming. Possess expertise and experience in the area of clinical nursing research and will foster and oversee the development of a clinical research program which focuses on patient care and strengthens the nursing research presence. Responsible for the systematic collection, analysis and synthesis of patient care data to forecast improvements in clinical practice. Influence departmental, divisional and organizational operations through organizational development. Through professional expertise and guidance, lead the organization’s educational and development plan for clinical staff by providing consultation, coaching, and education in order to facilitate the growth of the employees and the organization in order to meet or exceed the strategic business plan, and customer’s expectations.
- Develop departmental strategic business plan and contributes to the organization and system strategic plans.
- Analyze clinical information, statistical data, evidenced based practice to formulate recommendations related to organizational development and operations.
- Plan, implement, and evaluate the educational programs offered by the Nursing Education Department
- Actively assist and develop model of shared governance within the patient care services division
- Collaborate with senior leadership and nurse executive team to resolve operational issues related to recruitment, retention, and shared governance.
- Facilitate collaboration between the faculties of school affiliations. Oversee the development of clinical nursing research.
- Act as an internal consultant, liaison, and interpreter of policies, programs, processes, and regulatory guidelines.
- Develop clinical practice models based on the principles of evidenced based practice. Provide direction to research issues or topics to provide a basis for forecasting and implementing changes in practice.
- Coordinate, facilitate, and coach project teams preparing department staff performance management plans and provide feedback to other leaders as needed.
- Select, develop, and evaluate Nursing Education Staff.
- Maintain Database for all Continuing education, orientation programs and student nurse and school affiliations.
- Organize, plan, educate, facilitate and monitor outcomes of educational programs, competencies, continuing education and nursing and clinical orientation
- Work collaboratively with human resources and nursing recruitment to lead on boarding initiatives, recruitment activities, and strategic initiatives for retention.
- Lead efforts aimed at coaching, mentoring, and developing staff, rising leaders, managers, and clinical directors.
Research, develop, coordinate, implement, monitor and analyze various projects and initiatives for Education, Research, recruitment and retention within the patient care services division
Master’s degree in nursing or related field.
4 years of clinical experience and 2 years of experience in nursing education.
3-5 years progressive management experience.
Excellent oral and written communication skills. Understanding and management skills and ability exercise independent judgment.
Experience with project management, program evaluation activities, coaching and leading teams, and implementing programs.
Proficient in the use of software programs such as Microsoft Office.
Licensure, Certifications, And Clearances
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Act 34
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
COVID-19 Vaccination Information
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMCâ€™s COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the COVID-19 Vaccination Information section at the top of this page to learn more.
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMCâ€™s Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life â€” because we believe that youâ€™re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, weâ€™re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.