This position is eligible for a generous sign-on bonus!
Sign-On Bonus Details
$15,000 sign-on bonus available for nurses with over 1 year of experience
Are you a Registered Nurse passionate about delivering the best care possible and want to make a difference in the lives of your patients? Join us at UPMC Shadyside as we provide Life Changing Medicine to our community!
UPMC Shadyside, a 3x Magnet designated hospital, is currently hiring a Flex Full-Time Registered Nurse to support the IV Team with a highly specialized and supportive team of nurses. Experienced nurses will be considered for this position.
The IV Therapy Department/IV Specialty Nurses provide specialty services to the adult population with a variety of acute diseases and conditions requiring administration of IV hydration and/or medications. Other specialty services include insertion of long-term peripheral catheters such as PICC catheters and midline catheters, TPA infusion, removal of central venous access devices, repair of long-term catheters, insertion of duotubes, and venipuncture on the patient with difficult venous access. Any patient requiring highly skilled IV procedures can be accommodated by this specialty department. Goals for the IV Therapy Department include continuing to provide the highest degree of clinical competency while effectively utilizing resources and enhancing patient, family and staff education, and further enhancing the skills and professional development of staff members.
Why Work at UPMC?
UPMC is committed to investing in nurses like you â€“ financially, personally, and professionally â€“ starting on day one of your career. From tackling student loans to advancing your career later in life, UPMC is the partner you need to succeed and thrive in your nursing career.
Hereâ€™s How We Support Our Nurses
- Generous Sign-On Bonus of up to $15,000 (*Amount and eligibility based on type of nursing role and candidate experience)
- UPMCâ€™s brand new Monthly Loan Repayment Program, exclusively for 2022 nursing graduates, offering $20,000* in loan repayment paid over three years (*Eligible flex full-time RN roles to receive prorated amount)
- Up to five and a half weeks of Paid Time Off annually, plus seven paid holidays each year
- Dedicated career ladders, including a brand-new nursing career ladder added just this year, allowing you to achieve your highest potential while rewarding you for your experience and advanced education
Tuition reimbursement of up to $6,000 per academic year at any accredited institution, available to employees and their dependents (plus discounts for UPMC employees including no cost RN-BSN/MSN options!)
At UPMC, weâ€™re passionate about continuing to support your growth throughout your nursing journey. We offer a robust career ladder for bedside nursing that starts with Professional Staff Nurse and leads to Expert Nurse and beyond. The final job title and rate of pay will be based upon both individual qualifications and candidate choice. Any required certifications and contributions based on job title will be afforded a timeframe to obtain. Our competitive career ladder, as well as our Total Rewards package, will be discussed at time of offer to ensure you can make the choices that are right for you. The minimum rate of pay for a non-BSN Professional Staff Nurse is $28.90.
After EOE Statement
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMCâ€™s COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the COVID-19 Vaccination Information section at the top of this page to learn more.
- Develops and maintains productive working relationships internally and externally by demonstrating accountability for actions, enthusiasm, motivation and commitment to patients and colleagues. Demonstrates an understanding of cultural differences and holds peers accountable for healthy relationships. Maintains a conscious balance between work and personal life. Models safe work hours, time management and healthy lifestyle. Communicates with peers and management any safety hazards identified in the workplace.
- Demonstrates knowledge of adult learning principles (and/or teaching children if applicable) and applies in teaching of patients, families, students and new staff. Provides detailed and appropriate teaching to patients and families to effectively guide them through the episode of care as well as transition to another level of care and/or home. Supports the development of students, new staff and colleagues, may serve as a preceptor. Creates an environment of open dialogue, inquiry and continuous development by asking for feedback and improving practice.
- Applies the nursing process within the framework of Relationship Based Care to create a healing environment. Formulates daily goals and a plan of care for patients that involves the patient as partner and considers the individual needs of the patient in a holistic manner. Demonstrates critical thinking in the identification of clinical, social, safety, psychological and spiritual issues for the patient care within an episode of care. Practices solid communication skills, and is able to articulate and translate the patient’s condition to other care providers and to negotiate and make recommendations for changes in patient care and unit practices. Patient documentation is comprehensive and promotes communication between caregivers. Incorporates national professional organization as well as business unit and health system’s goals to improve patient safety, quality and satisfaction.Creates a caring and compassionate patient focused experience by building healing relationships with patients, families and colleagues.
- Demonstrates accountability for professional development that improves the quality of professional practice and the quality of patient care. Actively participates in unit-based shared governance, goal setting and supports the change and transition process to improve quality of care and the practice environment. Serves as a highly engaged and full partner on the care team and responds willingly to care team member needs for assistance and partnership. Participates in work that improves patient care and the professional practice environment. Adapts to change and demonstrates flexibility with the change process.
Actively participates in department or unit-specific quality improvement efforts. Identifies opportunity for quality improvement to colleagues and management. Takes personal responsibility in improving patient satisfaction with the quality of care and service. Utilizes research and evidence-based practice to support improvement in clinical care: identifies research issues or articles related to clinical specialty or areas of interest, discusses opportunities for quality improvement at multidisciplinary rounds, and influences patients’ plans of care.
- 1 year of RN experience required
- BSN preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive, caring relationships with executives, managers, physicians, non-physician providers, ancillary and support staff, other departments, and patients/families.
- Ability to work productively and effectively within a complex environment, handle multiple/changing priorities and specialized equipment. Good clinical judgment with critical thinking, analytical and problem solving abilities required as related to various aspects of patient care.
- Critical thinking skills necessary to exercise and to lead others in application of the nursing process.
- Mobility and visual manual dexterity.
- Physical stamina for frequent walking, standing, lifting and positioning of patients.
***UPMC offers a variety of flexible options ? in addition to traditional rotating/flexible shifts, special programs exist to work primarily night shifts or weekend shifts with a premium pay differential. Employees hired as or who choose to transition into one of these programs at a later time must have at least 6 months of nursing experience to qualify and may be required to complete any necessary orientation during regular business hours. If you are interested in these programs, please alert your recruiter when you are contacted for an interview.***
Licensure, Certifications, And Clearances
- UPMC approved national certification preferred.
- Current licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse either in the state where the facility is located or in a state covered by a licensure compact agreement with the state where the facility is located.
- CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Registered Nurse (RN) OR Temporary Practice Permit (TPP)
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMCâ€™s Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life â€” because we believe that youâ€™re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, weâ€™re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.