UPMC Mercy is hiring a Full-Time Assistant Teacher to support our Child Development Center! This position will work Monday-Friday during daylight hours. Preferred candidates will have prior work experience in a child care setting with children six weeks to five years old.
The UPMC Mercy Child Development Center opened in 1982 and was the first employer-sponsored child care center in the City of Pittsburgh. We provide a pleasant, family-centered working environment, casual but professional dress code and nearby parking options.
Under the direction of a senior teacher or teacher, provide quality child care for the children enrolled in the Child Development Center. Promote the children’s social, emotional, physical, and intellectual growth by implementing program goals, objectives, and curriculum. May be assigned responsibility for a separate classroom of children.
- Team with a teacher or senior teacher to write developmentally appropriate units of instruction (behavioral objectives and activities). Implement a daily program of activities and routines. Assist with planning and implementing center-wide activities. Collaborate to share center-wide resources and materials.
- Consult with the teacher about classroom communications to assure a calm, positive environment for children and CDC personnel.
- Team teaches with other personnel.
- Share information, verbally or in writing, with parents about the child’s day following center guidelines. Inform teacher or senior teacher of significant parental communications such as injury, behavioral difficulties, illness, etc.
- Provide input to a teacher or senior teacher about children’s progress or developmental difficulties. Participate in parent-teacher conferences when possible.
- Maintain a center-wide environment that is clean, orderly, safe, and attractive.
- Assume full responsibility for the health and safety needs of a group of children to meet the Department of Public Welfare regulations and/or center needs.
- Maintain confidentiality about children and their families at all times.
- Guide the work activities of teacher’s aides, CDC/OVR Teacher’s Aide Training Program students, practicum students, nursing students, and volunteers.
Ensure the safety of children independently, without the presence of management or teacher.
- High school diploma, enrollment-ready for a Child Development Associate credential (CDA) and sufficient documented work hours to qualify as an assistant group supervisor per Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare regulations required.
- 1 year of experience as an assistant teacher or a teacher’s aide in a child care setting.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to interact in a supportive, loving and consistent manner with children.
- Must possess basic knowledge of curriculum planning.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate with a wide range of personnel.
- Ability to maintain customer satisfaction.
Ability to work as a team member.
Licensure, Certifications, And Clearances
- Act 33 with renewal
- Act 34 with renewal
- Act 73 FBI Clearance with renewal
National Sex Offender Registry with renewal
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMCâ€™s COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the
COVID-19 Vaccination Information
section at the top of this page to learn more.
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMCâ€™s Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life â€” because we believe that youâ€™re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, weâ€™re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.