Schedule & Location
Full Time Day/ Evening (3 12hour shifts) (Weekend rotation)
Urgent Care: 1000 Norland Avenue Chambersburg PA 17201
Our medical group of almost 5,000 employees is strong and growing fast! We have medical practices that represent 51 specialty areas of medicine across 77 locations throughout Central Pennsylvania and Northern Maryland. Wherever your patient care interests fall – whether itâ€™s caring for babies, to end of life care, or anywhere in between to include urgent care – join our amazing team and learn for yourself why WellSpan was just recognized in the Forbesâ€™ list of the 100 best employers in Pennsylvania, with a ranking of No. 24!
Working together, our goal is to improve lives through exceptional care for all, lifelong wellness and healthy communities. Our culture is one of respect, diversity and inclusion.
Under the general supervision of the Clinical Nursing Coordinator and/or the Practice Manager or Provider, provides safe, therapeutic and efficient care and services to patients. Assists in direct patient care, performs treatments, administers medications (if qualified and appropriately supervised), and instructs patients and their families in appropriate care, as directed by their provider. Is an active team participant in the patient-centered practice, by aiding in the development of office workflows that support patient centered care.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Obtains and documents reason for visit, patient vital signs which may include: Temperature, blood pressure, weight, BMI, respirations, and pulse.
- Collects specimens as directed by provider. Uses appropriate equipment and protocols for specimen collection, processing, handling, and storage. Ensures all specimens are tracked/logged prior to transportation to lab.
- Ensures all patient care areas are adequately stocked with unexpired medical supplies and has equipment that is in good working condition with up to date biomedical assessment checks. Properly handles, stores, and cleans instruments, equipment, and supplies per manufacturer guidelines.
- Prepares patients for scheduled procedures by assuring patient is appropriately gowned and instruments and supplies are set-up. Uses Standard Precautions for all patient encounters.
- Arranges for patientsâ€™ ordered diagnostic and therapeutic services by completing necessary paperwork and scheduling of appointments. Under the direction of the provider, tracks, reviews and monitors follow-up of diagnostic test results. Relays information from the provider to the patient regarding results and follow-up instructions.
- Under the direct supervision of a licensed nurse or provider, prepares and administers vaccines, medications and controlled substances/narcotics as prescribed by the provider and as skilled competencies permit. Asks prescribed screening questions, identifies risks and contraindications, questions and observes for appropriate responses.
- Documents and processes prescription requests and refills per protocol.
- Performs basic office procedures, examinations and/or tests ordered by provider and as skill competencies demonstrate competence (i.e. EKGs, ear lavage, vision tests etc.).
- Provides patients with standard patient care instructions and education, and reviews with patient and family members as directed by providers (i.e. VIS sheets etc.). 10 Obtains comprehensive health information from patient/family members to review with providers or clinical resource over the phone. Uses this information to assist providers in determining the urgency for care or an alternative venue for care for patients with acute problems, should access not be readily available at the practice. Returns calls to patient in a timely matter.
- Completes pre-visit planning and visit prep according to established guidelines. Obtains comprehensive health information from patient/family members at the time of the visit. This may include review of systems and history of present illness and/or past medical and social history. Obtains an accurate medication review updating the EHR. Completes office standing orders for the chronic and preventative healthcare needs of the patient.
- Efficiently manages daily patient flow to manage fluctuating patient volumes and demands. Prioritizes daily patient care tasks and activities that are delegated by the care team. 13Under the direction of your supervisor, takes ownership in an office function/process improvement.
- Maintains strict confidentiality of patientâ€™s health information. Completes annual WSH Corporate Compliance, and other mandatory education.
- Supports the provider during the visit and patient exam by collecting and entering information in the patient record, carrying out orders and completing post visit patient care education and instructions.
- Maintains an 80% or higher on all yearly audits performed.
Required Experience / Education
Graduate of a Medical Assistant program with a 4-6 week clinically focused externship/internship in a physician office setting OR National Certification as a medical assistant
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent customer service
- Strong computer skills
If you are a Medical Assistant interested in learning about opportunities to join our team, please submit your application and resume! We look forward to learning more about you!