UPMC Mercy is hiring a full-time Security Officer to support Mercy Hospital and the New Mercy Pavilion!
This position offers a $1,500 Sign on bonus with a 2 year work commitment, overtime opportunities, shift differentials for evenings/overnights, a competitive benefits package, and PTO. All training/equipment are provided. Preferred candidates will be available from 2:30pm-10:30pm.
All Security Officers hired without a valid Act 235 must complete the 235 certification within their first 6 months of hire and have process completed within 9 months of hire. Candidates must meet audio and visual standards outlined in Act 235 at time of hire.
All Act 235 applicants must meet specific eligibility requirements including:
- Pass a physical examination by a medical doctor
- Uncorrected vision of at least 20/70 in one eye and 20/200 in the other
- Corrected vision of at least 20/20 in one eye and 20/40 in the other
- Pass hearing examination (permitted to use hearing aid)
Pass a psychological examination administered by a licensed psychologist
Responsible for maintaining a safe and secure environment for patients, visitors, staff and all UPMC owned and adjacent properties. Establish a uniformed security presence by patrolling UPMC hospitals, buildings, grounds and associated areas to deter criminal activity, document activities, and contact UPMC Police Officers or other appropriate law enforcement when necessary. Monitors security, fire, and environmental alarms. Responds to and resolves problems, disputes and unusual circumstances as necessary. Provides customer service to patients, families, visitors and staff to maintain a safe and secure environment. Document incidents on appropriate reports as required.
- Staff fixed posts to monitor ingress and egress to secured areas
- Provides customer service to patients, families, visitors and staff to maintain a safe and secure environment.
- Inspect incoming and outgoing parcels as necessary to prevent theft
- Responds to and resolves problems, disputes and unusual circumstances as necessary.
- Maintain required certifications and licensing
- Assist with traffic control and vehicle assists
- Transport deceased to morgue/release bodies from morgue
- Monitor security, fire, and environmental alarms, respond to alarms and assist when needed.
- Establish a uniformed security presence by patrolling UPMC hospitals, buildings, grounds and associated areas to deter criminal activity, document activities, and contact UPMC Police Officers or other appropriate law enforcement when necessary.
- Operate UPMC vehicles in accordance with the rules and regulations of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code
- Conduct patient escorts and stand-by details
- Complete all mandatory training programs per departmental guidelines
Report and document incidents, suspicious activities and hazards
- High School diploma or equivalent preferred.
- High level of integrity required for handling sensitive/confidential UPMC information.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills, especially the ability to effectively interact, communicate, and diffuse potential combative situations with persons from all walks of life.
- Psychological fitness required to deal with stress and potentially dangerous conflict situations.
- Physical fitness requirements to deal with typical physical demands that require full body motion and physical strength and stamina sufficient to respond to crisis interventions and medical emergencies.
- Be able to effectively communicate both orally and in written format.
- Good interpersonal skills; able to deal with stress and potentially dangerous conflict situations.
- All applicants will be subject to a thorough background and criminal record check
- Must be available for all shifts
- Officers are required to wear a bullet proof vest.
Employees covered by a collective bargaining agreement should consult the applicable collective bargaining for specific requirements
Licensure, Certifications, And Clearances
- Act 235 with Firearms OR Act 235 without Firearms – All officers hired without a valid Act 235 must complete the 235 certification within their first 6 months of hire or placement and have process completed within 9 months of hire.
- Must meet audio and visual standards outlined in Act 235 at time of hire.
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation certification required within 30 days of hire.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Successfully pass UPMC Physical Fitness Standard prior to hire.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Act 235 with Firearms with renewal
- Act 235 without Firearms with renewal
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMCâ€™s COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the
COVID-19 Vaccination Information
section at the top of this page to learn more.
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMCâ€™s Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life â€” because we believe that youâ€™re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, weâ€™re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.