The Patient Relations Specialist will function as a liaison between patients and families and the hospital to provide exemplary experiences to both the patients we serve, their families and fellow employees. The Specialist must understand the root causes of patient and family complaints and have the ability to effectively communicate these findings to the multi-disciplinary care team and hospital administration. The Specialist is responsible for efficient and courteous resolution to verbal/written inquires, while maintaining all service and quality standards. The Specialist must understand and consistently identify and participate in opportunities to improve HCAHPS and Star Ratings.
This position will work at our Main Hospital in Lawrenceville. Shift times may vary between the hours of 8am – 5:30pm, but can accommodate later hours through 7pm if interested. Flexibility with 8 hour or 10 hour shifts. No weekends or holidays!
- The specialist will work closely with clinical and non-clinical staff to initiate review and respond to patient and family and caregiver concerns, comments, requests for service, complaints, and grievances with any aspect of their health care experience in a timely and comprehensive manner.
- Accurately participate in, as well as oversee, the documentation of problems and activities on behalf of patients and families.
- Provide exemplary customer service by rounding and greeting patients and guests in all designated departments.
- Recognize and respond to patient / family concerns while demonstrating leadership and communication skills to de-escalate situations and utilize conflict-management techniques to improve patient experiences.
- Cultivate patient centered awareness and foster a service mentality among fellow employees to enhance patient and employee experiences
- Act as an internal consultant for optimal patient experiences.
- Collaborate with leadership in developing and implementing strategies to achieve and sustain a five-star patient experience and hospital HCAHP goals.
- Investigate missing/damaged belonging cases for the hospital and propose sustainable QI efforts to minimize the likelihood of future lost belongings.
- Carry out requirements of complaint management policy and procedure in accordance with hospital policy and CMS regulations.
- Coordinate and participate in family meetings and care conferences as a support person for family members by providing assistance in understanding, interpreting and organizing information for inquiry resolution.
- Document all family meetings and resolutions efforts.
- Participate in unit activities, and partner with unit leadership to identify opportunities to improve the patient experience
- Participate on, as well as lead, committees related to patient family-centered care or service excellence.
- Act as the hospital lead for the UPMC Intermediation Program.
- Respond to all condition HELP calls during working hours, and lead the debriefing session following the Condition HELP response.
- Document details of the condition HELP and debriefing.
- Respond to all inquiries regarding interpretation services and accommodations for patients.
- Serve as the department lead for regulatory requests such as DOH, when the Manager is absence.
Collaborate with the Quality and Patient Safety teams to assure that clinical concerns are reviewed and escalated appropriately.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- OR an Associate’s degree and 3 years of customer service experience
- OR HS Diploma and 5 years of customer service experience.1 year of health care experience required.
- Ability to command resources, influence peers and problem solve complex situations.
- Understand quality improvement principle, and lead small work teams to improve processes.
- Able to demonstrate conflict resolution and critical thinking and communication skills during difficult situations for patients and families.
Strong computer skills and ability to work independently.
Licensure, Certifications, And Clearances
- Act 31 Child Abuse Reporting
- Act 33
- Act 34
Act 73 FBI Clearance
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
COVID-19 Vaccination Information
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMCâ€™s COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the COVID-19 Vaccination Information section at the top of this page to learn more.
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMCâ€™s Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life â€” because we believe that youâ€™re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, weâ€™re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.