Title and starting pay rate of this position may vary based on years of experience.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with all members of the health care team. Demonstrate understanding of cultural diversity, horizontal violence and impairment in the health professions. Cares for patients and self by supporting safety in the workplace. Develops and maintains productive working relationships internally and externally by demonstrating accountability for actions, enthusiasm, motivation, and commitment to patients and colleagues.
- Assures equipment malfunctions are reported to the appropriate department. Establishes appropriate and effective communication with other departments. Establishes professional and respectful interpersonal relationships. Contributes to the universal unit activities including, but not limited to, responding to call lights and telephones, passing meal trays and transporting patients.
- Must routinely perform the UPMC nursing core patient care technician responsibilities including ADLs (bathing, feeding, transporting, toileting, ambulating, turning and repositioning patients. PLUS point of care testing (inc. blood glucose), weights, vital signs, I&O, telemetry monitor application/reapplication, HAC & PSI prevention (TEDs/SCDs). In addition, completes simple dressings, placement and removal of restraints, 12 lead EKG, bladder scan, all specimen collections. Additionally, must perform basic arrythmia, IV catheter removal, Foley catheter removal, IV insertion, Foley catheter insertion, straight catheterization, and phlebotomy. All competencies must be achieved.
- Assists with physical, respiratory, and cardiopulmonary therapies. Provides feedback to the RN regarding patient care and reports changes in patient status. Provides instruction to patients and their families under the direction of the RN. May apply, monitor, and remove patient restraints as per physician or hospital protocol.
- Constructively receives feedback and direction. Identifies and communicates learning needs to the unit director. Takes action to improve knowledge, skills, and performance. Request’s assistance in planning and prioritizing activities as needed. Participates in self-review as requested by the unit director. Participates in project and committee work.
- Suggests and supports changes within the department. Assumes responsibility for assignment and views problems as challenges. Demonstrates awareness of behavior on the efficient functioning of the department. Supports department-based projects and quality initiatives. Strictly adheres to all policies and procedures relative to patient care and hospital related information. Complies with safety policies and procedures including standard precautions. Documents in the medical record according to established procedures. Performs assigned work in a timely and productive manner. Transports cardiac monitored patients within the hospital setting. May insert foley catheters and perform straight catheterization as instructed by RN. May perform IV insertion, removal, and dressing change. Completes department clerical functions as needed.
- *Performs in accordance with system-wide competencies/behaviors.
*Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must also have either a) 2 years of general healthcare experience and meet requirements of Patient Care Technician – Senior title, OR b) 1 year of experience (defined above) and enrollment in PT/OT/PA program with completion of at least one clinical rotation, or c) 1 year of experience (defined above) and completion of a bachelor’s degree in a health sciences field.
- Annual completion of a professional contribution to be determined after hire.
- Successful completion of patient care technician specialist class.
- Successful completion of basic information system training.
- Microcomputer experience preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
- Nursing Student that has completed one clinical rotation preferred Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Paramedic or currently enrolled in an EMT or Paramedic program preferred.
- Successful completion of a basic arrhythmia course and annual competency required.
May, in the course of their duties, be in rooms where medications are stored or may transport medications when they transport patients. Transportation of medication is limited from one department to another.
Licensure, Certifications, And Clearances
Clearances must be dated within 90 days
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire ACLS preferred
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Act 33 with renewal
- Act 34 with renewal
- Act 73 FBI Clearance with renewal
- UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMCâ€™s COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the COVID-19 Vaccination Information section at the top of this page to learn more.
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMCâ€™s Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life â€” because we believe that youâ€™re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, weâ€™re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.