When you join the team at Unum, you become part of an organization committed to helping you thrive.
To Enable This, We Provide
Here, we work to provide the employee benefits and service solutions that enable employees at our client companies to thrive throughout lifeâ€™s moments. And this starts with ensuring that every one of our team members enjoys opportunities to succeed both professionally and personally.
- Award-winning culture
- Inclusion and diversity as a priority
- Performance Based Incentive Plans
- Competitive benefits package that includes: Health, Vision, Dental, Short & Long-Term Disability
- Generous PTO (including paid time to volunteer!)
- Up to 9.5% 401(k) employer contribution
- Mental health support
- Career advancement opportunities
- Student loan repayment options
- Tuition reimbursement
- Flexible work environments
- All the benefits listed above are subject to the terms of their individual Plans.
And thatâ€™s just the beginningâ€¦
With 10,000 employees helping more than 39 million people worldwide, every role at Unum is meaningful and impacts the lives of our customers. Whether youâ€™re directly supporting a growing family, or developing online tools to help navigate a difficult loss, customers are counting on the combined talents of our entire team. Help us help others, and join Team Unum today!
This position manages the Sr. Legal Administrative Assistants across all office locations, including remote workers. That management includes the assignment and oversight of each Administrative Assistantâ€™s legal, administrative, practice area, and operations responsibilities. This position is responsible for cross-functional and cross-site strategic planning, as well as owning the oversight, management, and day to day coordination of administrative, practice area, and operational support. This position partners and interfaces with all levels of Unum Law leadership and staff.
This position is responsible for oversight and management of all pillars of operating effectiveness, business planning, financial operations, budgets, communications, knowledge management, Unum Law technology and corporate initiatives.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Leadership of a diverse team, including all aspects of people management, selection, training, resource capacity, job design and performance management that creates a high-performance environment
- Manage the administrative and operations aspects of Unum Law.
- Provide highly independent and strategic decision making and management.
- In partnership with Unum Law Technology and Knowledge Management team, develop and drive the technology strategy for the department which includes assessing current and future technology and ensure staff is trained and supported.
- Assess and take necessary actions to address legal practice area needs, including by
- Allocating and maximizing usefulness and value of resources, including technology
- Analyzing training and development opportunities
- Implementing continuous improvement/growth approach
- Establishing efficient and consistent processes
- Eliminating unnecessary steps or work
- Oversee Administrative Workflow & Process Management, including by leading:
- Weekly meetings with administrative staff team.
- Periodic 1×1 PX style check-ins with senior administrative assistants.
- Periodic PX style check-in meetings with Unum Law practice area leaders to check performance of and/or discuss adjustments to administrative support or responsibilities.
- Provide input to strategic plans and enable administrative and operations development and support, bench strength and succession.
- Manage, plan, and coordinate onsite operational and facility needs at all locations, including space planning, office moves, mail processing and distribution, and budgeting and cost allocating for site supplies and equipment.
- Own administration of legal technology which includes identifying potential new technologies and ensuring the department is trained on how to use all resources.
- Own troubleshooting and resolution of technical issues.
- Lead Unum Law budget development and monitoring process.
- Responsible for developing, directing, and coordinating administrative staffâ€™s role as points of contact and liaisons between Unum Lawâ€™s technology team and the practice area(s) they support, including to facilitate the capture and feed of practice area data to allow dashboards to receive, monitor and report key data points (e.g., volumes).
- Responsible for administrative staffâ€™s coordination, training, development, and mentoring.
- Responsible for Unum Law onboarding process.
- Coordinate support as needed from Unum Lawâ€™s corporate function partners (e.g., Finance, Communications, Human Resources, etc.)
- Responsible for Unum Lawâ€™s Employee Recognition Programs
- Responsible for the Business Continuity Plans for Unum Law
- Responsible for management and maintenance of Unum Law portal.
- Manage Unum Law vendors, including Library/Subscription, software licenses Continuing Education Services, etc.
- Participate in industry corporate legal operations roundtables, industry benchmarking studies, and create a network to provide best practices and recommendations.
- Employ best practices with a continuous improvement mindset to increase the efficiency of the office and operations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- College degree preferred or relevant work experience preferred in law firm or legal department
- Strong technology knowledge and expertise â€“ preferably related to law and administration
- Financial/budgeting experience necessary to lead Unum Lawâ€™s budget development
- People leadership, development, and management experience
- Strong strategic, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills
- Good judgment and comfort with ambiguity
- Ability to partner and influence at all levels of the organization
- Superior ability to handle multiple, changing priorities, and to implement change management
- Ability to lead, motivate and develop high performing support staff
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to present to all levels in the organization
- Strong human relations skills and ability to foster a team environment
- Demonstrated strategic planning and implementation/execution ability
- Ability to build working relationships with business partners across functional lines
- Insurance experience preferred but not required
Unum and Colonial Life are part of Unum Group, a Fortune 500 company and leading provider of employee benefits to companies worldwide. Headquartered in Chattanooga, TN, with international offices in Ireland, Poland and the UK, Unum also has significant operations in Portland, ME, and Baton Rouge, LA – plus over 35 US field offices. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, SC, with over 40 field offices nationwide.
The base salary range for applicants for this position is listed below. Unless actual salary is indicated above in the job description, actual pay will be based on skill, geographical location and experience.
Additionally, Unum offers a portfolio of benefits and rewards that are competitive and comprehensive including healthcare benefits (health, vision, dental), insurance benefits (short & long-term disability), performance-based incentive plans, paid time off, and a 401(k) retirement plan with an employer match up to 5% and an additional 4.5% contribution whether you contribute to the plan or not. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of individual Plans.