Our Fortune 500 company is driving a digital transformation and looking for forward-thinking innovators to disrupt how our industry thinks about and uses technology. As one of the world’s leading employee benefits providers, we help millions of people gain affordable access to benefits that help them protect their families, their finances and their futures.
Are you an asker of questions, a solver of problems, and a challenger of the status quo? Our mission is to provide a differentiated customer experience and exceed the expectations people have of technology at any company â€” not just insurers.
We are seeking individuals to join our team of talented IT professionals who share never-ending passion and an unwavering focus on our customer experience. Team members comfortable working in an agile, fast-paced, and delivery-focused environment thrive in our environment where we value an entrepreneurial spirit and those who challenge the status-quo.
Unum is changing, and weâ€™re excited about whatâ€™s next. Join us.
Individuals in this role provide leadership and guidance to multiple agile and/or Enterprise Data & Analytics teams that support various business and technical capabilities, services, or functional areas of IT. They focus on implementation and delivery aspects, by leveraging technology or technical capabilities to enable, enhance or transform business capabilities or services. They are instrumental in the implementation of the portfolio roadmap and ongoing portfolio management activity, taking into consideration technical, financial and people resources for successful execution and delivery. They develop and cultivate both IT and business partner relationships and effectively communicate and execute IT plans in support of the IT or business goals and objectives.
AVP of Data Architecture will be an expert in data architecture with a strong understanding of solution design for cloud and distributed data systems as well as a strong understanding of design practices, principles and standards.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- Establishes consistent standards, patterns and practices across data architecture disciplines to support product, delivery and value stream.
- Responsible for architecting and designing scalable, extensible, and comprehensive data eco-system to support Unum’s overall data strategy.
- Provides though leadership to data engineering, MDM, and product teams, and provide guidance, review and approval to support cross-domain initiatives.
- Leads the development of current and target state data eco-system architectures covering all aspects of data including data ingestion, data transformation, modern data platform, data analytics, and Data APIs.
- Leads functional areas of IT to build, enhance, transform, or support technology and/or business services by successfully delivering on outcomes.
- Engages in strategic planning with business and IT stakeholders to provide direction, guidance or recommendations on technology and architectural considerations.
- Defines a portfolio of change and roadmap. Engages and influences IT and business leaders to ensure the portfolio will deliver agreed business objectives.
- Collaborates with IT leadership across various disciplines, provides guidance, direction or recommendations to address a wide range of business and technology needs with emphasis on optimized, timely and successful delivery.
- In collaboration with the IT VP, initiates and influences relationships with and between key stakeholders involved in the management and implementation of IT plans, acts as a point of contact for stakeholders, planners, designers, and operational business partners.
- Applies innovative methods utilizing IT assets and capabilities in alignment with the organizationâ€™s strategic direction and tactical plans.
- Highly proficient in applying knowledge of ITâ€™s technology framework(s), technical environment, and cross-organizational IT functions in technical choices for a variety of large, strategic efforts.
- In partnership with practice leaders, drives application of the companyâ€™s technical and architectural roadmap objectives.
- Leverages deep understanding of IT, emerging technologies, and technical capabilities to guide and influence stakeholders and teams in developing solutions, build, deployment, testing and ongoing management of IT services.
- Ensures capability deliveries are aligned across business functions and within multiple agile and/or operational teams for execution and delivery success.
- In support of the management team, takes bold action to ensure a strong, diverse talent and leadership pipeline is in place to meet aggressive business goals. Develops, coaches and engages people to higher levels of performance.
- Understands the needs of a self-organizing team (cross-functioning, partners with the business, collaborative, works quickly and unencumbered, be empowered and autonomous, be able to focus on self-improvement) and supports the management activities that make self-organization successful.
- For Infrastructure teams, oversees the development and execution of test plans to check infrastructure and systems technical performance. Reports on findings and makes recommendations for improvement.
- For Agile teams, ensures that the scrum team(s) apply the best software engineering practices including, but not limited to: test driven development, peer reviews, continuous integration and deployment practices, unit and regression test automation, comprehensive approach to addressing NFR, adherence to standards, comprehensive â€˜definition of done,â€™ team retrospectives, etc.
- Understands patterns and trends that contribute to utilizing key performance indicators and critical success factors that will improve the performance of the organization.
- Develops influential relationships with internal and external partners and vendors at the senior management level, including industry leaders.
- Proven leadership in executing IT plans successfully that enable technical or business capabilities and address technology or business priorities.
- Strong understanding of Agile/Lean/Service Management leadership principles.
- Enterprise data architecture background required.
- Exhibits courage by taking smart risks and encouraging others to do so; empowers innovative approaches by motivating others to be proactive and resourceful.
- Proven and demonstrated knowledge and skills in one or more functions, technologies or industries.
- Able to apply broad business and technology understanding of internal and external trends and capabilities, to ensure successful implementation of IT plans.
- Able to communicate a compelling vision and need for change that generates excitement, enthusiasm and commitment to the process.
- Demonstrates a capacity for strategic and critical thinking.
- Interacts with others, internally and externally, in a way that gives them confidence in their intentions and those of the organization.
- Demonstrates depth of IT knowledge with a diverse technical experience; is seen as execution and delivery focused.
- Strong knowledge of applicable security and privacy practices and regulations.
- Knows how to make and sustain a business case through effective benefits management, and demonstrates the ability to make and take responsibility for, adventurous and innovative decisions on major technical and service delivery issues.
- Has strong planning, communication and presentation skills, and the capability to listen and influence.
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best â€“ both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.
The base salary range for applicants for this position is listed below. Unless actual salary is indicated above in the job description, actual pay will be based on skill, geographical location and experience.
Additionally, Unum offers a portfolio of benefits and rewards that are competitive and comprehensive including healthcare benefits (health, vision, dental), insurance benefits (short & long-term disability), performance-based incentive plans, paid time off, and a 401(k) retirement plan with an employer match up to 5% and an additional 4.5% contribution whether you contribute to the plan or not. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of individual Plans.