The weekend program RRT is scheduled to work night shift Friday-Sunday. Selected candidates in this position earn an incentive pay differential of 20% on top of base pay.
Under the general direction of a physician and by prescription, provides respiratory therapy services and life support to patients with deficiencies and abnormalities of the cardiopulmonary system. Defined responsibilities are performed in all patient populations and in all patient service areas.
- Reads prescription, measures arterial blood gases, and reviews patient information to assess patient condition and determine requirements for treatment, such as type and duration of therapy, and medication dosages. Determines most suitable method of administering inhalants, precautions to be observed, and modifications which may be needed that will be compatible with physician’s orders
- Assists to transport mechanically ventilated patients. Responds to all code situations.
- Maintains patient’s chart that contains pertinent identification and therapy information. * Orders repairs when needed. * Demonstrates respiratory care procedures to trainees and other health care personnel. * Supervises students during training.
- Sets up and operates devices, such as mechanical ventilators, therapeutic gas administration apparatus, environmental control systems, and aerosol generators. Operates equipment to ensure specified parameters of treatment, such as volume, gas concentration, humidity, and temperature, and to administer medicinal gases and aerosol drugs to patients. Observes equipment function and adjusts equipment to obtain optimum results to therapy. Inspects and tests respiratory therapy equipment to ensure equipment functions safely and efficiently.
- Evaluates the appropriateness of medical orders. Interprets clinical data to optimize patient clinical objectives.
Monitors patient’s physiological responses to therapy, such as vital signs, arterial blood gases, and blood chemistry changes. Performs bronchopulmonary drainage and assists patient in performing breathing exercises. Performs pulmonary function tests to be used by physician in diagnosis of case. Consults with physician in the event of adverse reactions.
- Graduate of a Co ARC (Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Care) approved Respiratory program required
- Respiratory Care Practitioner (RCP) license in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania required
- Basic Life Support or Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation required
Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) from the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) required Respiratory therapists who receive their RRT credential from the NBRC after July 1, 2002 are required to maintain certification under the NBRC requirements
Licensure, Certifications, And Clearances
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
Clearances must be dated within 90 days
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Neonatal Resuscitation Certification
- Osteopathic Respiratory Care OR Respiratory Care Practitioners (RCP)
- Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT)
- Act 31 Child Abuse Reporting with renewal
- Act 33 with renewal
- Act 34 with renewal
- Act 73 FBI Clearance with renewal
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMCâ€™s COVID vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the COVID-19 Vaccination Information section at the top of this page to learn more.
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMCâ€™s Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life â€” because we believe that youâ€™re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, weâ€™re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.