University of Southern California
USC Auxiliary Services
, one of the largest divisions at The University of Southern California, is focused on making a difference for over 65,000 students, athletes, faculty, staff, and guests who visit our campuses each day. Through our innovative services, our six central business units (USC Bookstores, USC Hospitality, USC Housing, USC Transportation, the USC Hotel and the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum) collectively create the best USC experience for future leaders, scientists, filmmakers, engineers, and doctors alike. Auxiliary Services works tirelessly to welcome all visitors into the Trojan family. We are driven to succeed by our commitment to uphold our six unifying values in
Integrity, Excellence, Well-Being, Open Communication, Accountability, and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The city of Los Angeles boasts endless attractions and tourist destinations. Amongst all of the sights and sounds, the
offers a modern and convenient place to unwind, with 240 spacious, comfortable guest rooms and over 15,000 square feet of flexible event space. Owned and operated by the University of Southern California, and the site of a recent multi-million dollar renovation, the hotel features luxurious fabrics and artwork depicting the storied traditions of USC. Additional renovations, which include the restaurants and kitchens, are in the planning stage.
We are seeking a
General Maintenance Worker, USC Hotel
to join our rapidly growing team.
The General Maintenance Worker will monitor our facilities and ensure that we maintain our high standards of excellence. As an expert in all forms of repairs, you will examine and repair our facilities, as needed. You will use your expertise to communicate with management and outside vendors, as well as train other workers. Most of all, your focus on customer service will demonstrate to our students, faculty, and staff that we put their needs first!
- Provides customer service to students, faculty, staff and external customers. Meets customer needs, offers options, resolves problems and follows up with customers. Ensures full customer satisfaction without unnecessarily referring customer to other staff members. Maintains friendly, helpful demeanor.
- Provides on-going preventative maintenance for appliances including air conditioners, heaters, refrigerators, stoves, ovens and dishwashers.
- Troubleshoots and repairs or replaces appliance parts and perform repairs on commercial kitchen equipment, e.g.. walk-in coolers, freezers, ice machines, dish machine conveyor belts, slicers, dishwashers, electric ranges, etc., as needed.
- Maintains appliance part inventory.
- Builds interior walls, fabricates cabinets, drawers and screens, assembles furniture. Repairs or replaces closet doors, drawers, non-fire rated doors, door locks, closers and hinges, tiles, bathroom fixtures, etc. Performs preventive maintenance.
- Installs safety restraints on cabinets and furniture. Patches and stretches carpet, replaces broken windows and ceiling tiles, performs caulking.
- Repairs or replaces light bulbs, ballasts, switches, plugs, light fixtures, etc. Maintains room wiring systems and emergency exit signs, adjusts timers, tests and replaces smoke detectors and emergency lights. Secures electrical wires. Repairs vacuum cleaners as needed.
- Prepares walls for painting, patches holes, replaces dry wall, paints. Stains and refinishes wood work, such as wall paneling and furniture, etc. Assists in roof repairs, repairs or replaces tiles, performs caulking.
- Repairs or replaces various plumbing fixtures and hardware, e.g.. faucets, shower fixtures, water fountains, garbage disposals, sinks and toilets.
- Performs light welding, light vehicle maintenance.
- Responsible for special projects as assigned by the Building Supervisor or Assistant Director.
- Monitors satellite stock room.
- Responsible for area emergency/after-hours response.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
- Education: Specialized or technical training.
- Experience: 6 â€“ 12 months.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English.
- Knowledge of thermodynamic laws, refrigerator cycles, electricity principles, test/detection instruments, hand/power tools, AC/DC currents, wood finishing, wiring, painting, construction, and plumbing.
- Presents oneself professionally, in line with higher education environment.
What We Prefer
- Specialized or technical training.
- 2 â€“ 3 years of experience in appliance repair, plumbing, HVAC, outlet repair, and/or electrical.
- HVAC certification.
- Experience supporting a hospitality/restaurant/retail department.
- Experience troubleshooting/and performing basic repairs (i.e. carpentry) and painting maintenance.
- Experience working in a fast paced environment, and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to train students, temporary, and/or resource workers.
The Trojan Family Rewards
We pride ourselves in creating the
BEST USC EXPERIENCE
, and that begins with our employees! We offer a wide variety of benefits and programs that support our staff and their families. For more information please visit http://benefits.usc.edu .
This support advocates work-life balance and employee well-being. As members of the Trojan family, employees are connected by the traditions and history that make us proud to be Trojans!
As an equal opportunity employer, USC values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace. The work culture thrives on mutual respect, trust, and synergy amongst all of its members.
USC has great minds that transform the world with their talents and research. Will you be one? Join us!
The hourly rate for this position is $22.00. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidateâ€™s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Job Description Summary Minimum Education: Specialized/technical training, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education Minimum Experience: 6 – 12 months Minimum Field of Expertise: Knowledge of thermodynamic laws, refrigerator cycles, electricity principles, test/detection instruments, hand/power tools, wood finishing, AC/DC currents, wiring, painting, construction and plumbing